New to serious road biking, have some questions

brian_biker

Aug 26, 2010
Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I'm 17. I fell off my rollerblades yesterday and almost fractured my spine, so I figured biking would be a safer hobby. I have a Trek 4300 Alpha (24 gears) (picture attached) that had worn out tubes and mountain tires. My dad got me the bike about 7 years ago and probably assumed that a mountain bike with thicker tires would be safer. Today I went to the local bike shop (Helen's in Santa Monica, CA) and got some new tubes and thinner tires (attached picture), mostly because I will be focusing on road biking, not mountains. I'm in great shape and really want to get into road biking and make it a serious hobby. I plan to use this bike for a little while, get my muscles accustomed to intense sessions, and then get a dedicated road bike (my b-day's in late September, maybe my parents will help out). Today I already noticed that the gears aren't really tall enough for fast road speeds (on gear 3-8 I was kind of "spinning" going maybe 20 mph) I know that my current bike is not a "road bike," but it will have to do for now. I plan to do about 5-20 miles each session, about 4 sessions per week.

Being that I am a newbie to road biking, I have a few questions.

1. Is my bike a solid model? Should I have any concerns putting lots of road miles on it?

2. How are the tires (see picture attached) that were put on my bike for serious road use? They were the thinnest tires I could get for my "mountain bike."

3. Is my helmet (attached picture) the right type for road biking?

4. Do I need proper road bike attire (tight shorts, jersey) for the amount of biking I plan to do?

5. If I want to bring along some food for a long road trek, should I attach it to the bike frame, bring a backpack, etc?? What do you do, and what kind of food do you bring if you need it?

6. My front brake (left handlebar) makes noise (squeaking, rubbing/friction noise) when in use. Is this normal?

Those are all the questions I have for now. I appreciate your help.:) -Brian

Welcome aboard.

Your helmet looks OK, you really don't need a very expensive helmet (or any particular model for that matter) unless you're concerned about aerodynamics, all helmets sold in the US have to pass the same safety standards. I have a Bell model that's similar to yours.

For your brake noise issue, take a look at this thread.

Your other questions can very likely be answered by using the Search function, there are a lot of threads and posts covering them.

Again, welcome aboard. :cool:

brian_biker said:
Hi everyone. My name is Brian and I'm 17. I fell off my rollerblades yesterday and almost fractured my spine, so I figured biking would be a safer hobby. I have a Trek 4300 Alpha (24 gears) (picture attached) that had worn out tubes and mountain tires. My dad got me the bike about 7 years ago and probably assumed that a mountain bike with thicker tires would be safer. Today I went to the local bike shop (Helen's in Santa Monica, CA) and got some new tubes and thinner tires (attached picture), mostly because I will be focusing on road biking, not mountains. I'm in great shape and really want to get into road biking and make it a serious hobby. I plan to use this bike for a little while, get my muscles accustomed to intense sessions, and then get a dedicated road bike (my b-day's in late September, maybe my parents will help out). Today I already noticed that the gears aren't really tall enough for fast road speeds (on gear 3-8 I was kind of "spinning" going maybe 20 mph) I know that my current bike is not a "road bike," but it will have to do for now. I plan to do about 5-20 miles each session, about 4 sessions per week.

Being that I am a newbie to road biking, I have a few questions.

1. Is my bike a solid model? Should I have any concerns putting lots of road miles on it?

2. How are the tires (see picture attached) that were put on my bike for serious road use? They were the thinnest tires I could get for my "mountain bike."

3. Is my helmet (attached picture) the right type for road biking?

4. Do I need proper road bike attire (tight shorts, jersey) for the amount of biking I plan to do?

5. If I want to bring along some food for a long road trek, should I attach it to the bike frame, bring a backpack, etc?? What do you do, and what kind of food do you bring if you need it?

6. My front brake (left handlebar) makes noise (squeaking, rubbing/friction noise) when in use. Is this normal?

Those are all the questions I have for now. I appreciate your help.:) -Brian

Welcome to the forum and to the sport!!!

Since you have had your bike for a while, but it sounds like you haven't ridden it much, I would take it to your LBS for a safety check at the very least, but even better, an actual tune-up. Then your concerns about the safety/functionality of the bike will be alleviated, and you will be able to just focus on riding.

Shorts/jerseys: You will like the chamois in cycling shorts, and I do recommend it. Jerseys are less important, but they come with back pockets to store keys, wallet, food, etc. That will solve your food problem, and for that reason alone, I think they are worth investing in.

Gearing: I don't know how your gears are numbered, so 3-8 doesn't say much too me. However, your "hardest" gears (biggest gear ratios) will be in your big ring on the front and the smaller sprockets in the back. Even with mountain gearing I am kinda surprised that you are spinning out, so I would just make sure that you are really using your hardest gears. If this is still a problem, you could get a new cassette (or crank). . . . not sure you want to invest in one however, if you are anyway planning to get a new bike . . .

CalicoCat said:
Gearing: I don't know how your gears are numbered, so 3-8 doesn't say much too me. However, your "hardest" gears (biggest gear ratios) will be in your big ring on the front and the smaller sprockets in the back. Even with mountain gearing I am kinda surprised that you are spinning out, so I would just make sure that you are really using your hardest gears. If this is still a problem, you could get a new cassette (or crank). . . . not sure you want to invest in one however, if you are anyway planning to get a new bike . . .

Sorry about the confusion. I meant that on my bike's "hardest" gear, my cadence was too high, going on a slight downhill, not especially fast. Which probably makes sense given that I have a mountain bike, with a gear map designed for going up steep hills, rough terrain and slower speeds.

To me, your bike looks like and overly cushy, hybrid mix. The tires look fine, so long as your wheels are true and don;t wobble when you spin them. The helmet, I agree is more than adequate. I also use a Bell helmet and it's protected my noggin through two crashes. The saddle looks kinda plush to me, but I am used to my road saddle.

Clothing and gear:
I was very resistant at first to spend lots of money on clothing. So I started by purchasing the cheapest stuff I could get my hands on from the sales at performance bike.

Performance Bicycle - Bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more

But 3 years later, I can say that the shorts made the most difference. Now I use bib-shorts with a good chamois inside. I also use chamois cream for longer rides. The jerseys are great for their sleek aero feel, the three pockets in the back, and their moisture wicking qualities. Definitely invest in a pair of cycling gloves. My hands are still on the mend from my crash in last Sunday's race. Could have saved some skin and some pain had I been wearing some. I just bought some tonight. Don;t rush the gear. You'll start to acquire it slowly over time. Watch for sales at your LBS and online.

As for your gearing, a larger crank will make the greatest difference, but avoid upgrading unless you find an offer you can't refuse. Until then, coast down hill and use the wind and up hill to challenge your legs.

Nutrition:
Snack bars, goo, dried fruit.. lots of options available. Also make sure you have a means to carry water, either a bottle cage on your frame or your back pocket.

And last, have fun. Don't fret over all the incidentals. Once your LBS approves the safety of your ride, mount up and ride.

I just picked up a 2010 Trek 4300 a few days ago, it is a early birthday gift from the wife but of course I had to go pick it out. My b-day is in September too! I already put road tires on and am using a different seat. Before my ride this morning I installed my bar extenders from my Mongoose and it helped with hand positions and climbing, clipless pedals were already installed too.

Hi Brian! Welcome to the wonderfully addicting world of road biking. Just 15 months ago, I was pretty much where you are now. You have to make do with the equipment you have. I began on a $250 Scwinn Hybrid from Target that had a padded seat and straight bars. I have since upgraded to a (much) nicer ride, but my point is, right now, use whatever you have. What you should be working on right now is building your "engine"-your endurance, your lung capacity, your cycling specific leg muscle. I was always told that it takes about a year of hard cycling and found that to be true. Unless you are a phenom, you have to pay your dues by riding alot of miles. Find some good hills and do repeats until your legs and lungs hurt. I think that more than anything else will pay the greatest dividends. Also, do not try to set speed records on every ride. Alot of your early mileage (Base miles) should be at about 60% effort, or endurance pace. It will pay off over time.
If you want some good training tips, there are excellent books out there by Edmind Burke, Joe Friehl, and Chris Carmichael. But keep in mind, they are offering advice to pro's and serious racers, so adapt it to your particular needs. I love the Trek I have now but I will never forget that Schwinn Hybrid that introduced me to this awesome sport and carried me for my first 750 miles of riding. Welcome! Enjoy!

Ps- Nutrition: Before-Bananas are hard to beat. Eat a Gu or Hammer Gel packet too. Have another about every 30 minutes to ensure your "tank" has fuel in it. For hydration, I use a water/Gatorade mix. Don't use just water, as your body needs the sodium and electrolytes that sports drinks provide. Find what works best for you by trial and error. Try not to eat for 30-45 minutes before riding or it can impact your ride. Afterwards, eat a bagel to get your blood sugar back up quickly and be sure to hydrate after the ride. Hope this helps!!!