New to SPD (Shoes/Cleats & Pedals)

WinkWink726

Jun 21, 2010
Hi!
As I'm new to the forum, I'm also new to SPD.
I like to do trail riding and a mix of others but its all for the sake of exercise and fun; I do it, however, on a regular basis and if I cant get outside--I take spin classes that always challenge me! (and love 'em).

Well, I'm finally ready to make the switch from toe clips to SPD!
I've purchase these Shimano's [Shimano Women's SH-WM50 Mountain Bike Cycling Shoe, 19137 | Footwear | Cycling | GEAR | items from Campmor.] (which I've been breaking in in Spin) and I'm still searching for appropriate pedals for my "real" bike.

There are two models that I'm looking at, below are eBay links to each type.
1. SHIMANO PD-M540 SPD MTB BIKE PEDALS W/CLEATS NEW HYBRID - eBay (item 230490914035 end time Jul-22-10 08:11:41 PDT)
I like these ones (the PD-M540) because they're dual sided.

2. Shimano SPD Mountain Bike Pedals PD-M647 Mount Bicycle - eBay (item 220623603925 end time Jun-23-10 22:06:23 PDT)
I'm not really into these ones for any particular reason other than the mention of the larger surface area and being "grippy-er" than most.

What are your thoughts from the pros?

Keep in mind...
I'm hitting the trails (not competitively--for fun/exercise), some carrying, some muck/mud. NEW to SPD (so which might be easier to use and why?).

Do you see anything overtly wrong with a newb getting either? :)

Clipless pedals are an improvemnt over flat pedals, but pracise will be necessary before heading out on the tracks. This is just a matter of pracising clipping in and out quickly (usually fairly easy with MTB SPD pedals) and adjusting the pedal spring tension.

I initially tried using pedals like the DX ones (PD-M647) you mention. I thought they would be good for getting purchase at times when it was hard to clip in quickly, but I found that the surrounding platform really just got in the way and actually PREVENTED me clipping in on some occasions, until it got bashed to pieces on the rougher rides and 24 hr races.
Eventualy I changed to the smaller type of pedal and was much happier.

Thanks for your response. I've been doing a little more reading and I'm officially "leaning towards" the PD-M540's.

It seems like they might be the best option for me!
Thanks (and if anyone has any insight or suggestions, please do jump in here)