new to swimming, need recommendations

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Micah McDaniel, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    enough here in Austin.

    So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).

    Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    about but me.

    Micah

    Tags:

  2. Spider Gc

    Spider Gc Guest

    Total Immersion is an excellent book. I read the book, bought the freestyle video, got some tips and
    started working out. The really big help came however, when I joined a local Masters Swim club. Our
    coach was well versed in the TI discipline. With her encouragement and teaching, what I read and saw
    on tape began to make sense. I now have a more fluid stroke and have reduced my stroke count for 50
    yards almost in half with less effort and quicker time. Like you, my knees snap crackle and pop but
    I am more at ease swimming than I am at running.

    As for a program, I hate regimentation. I'd say work on getting in swim shape first, then develop
    your own routine, based on other programs. Just keep at it. I was barely able to make a half mile
    at the beginning, but am now working toward 2 miles per session, five days a week. Swim Magazine
    and Swimming World Magazine are good for motivation, covering the Master level, as well as the
    junior swimmers.

    Good luck and have fun.

    Greg

    "Micah McDaniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

  3. Spider Gc

    Spider Gc Guest

    Total Immersion is an excellent book. I read the book, bought the freestyle video, got some tips and
    started working out. The really big help came however, when I joined a local Masters Swim club. Our
    coach was well versed in the TI discipline. With her encouragement and teaching, what I read and saw
    on tape began to make sense. I now have a more fluid stroke and have reduced my stroke count for 50
    yards almost in half with less effort and quicker time. Like you, my knees snap crackle and pop but
    I am more at ease swimming than I am at running.

    As for a program, I hate regimentation. I'd say work on getting in swim shape first, then develop
    your own routine, based on other programs. Just keep at it. I was barely able to make a half mile
    at the beginning, but am now working toward 2 miles per session, five days a week. Swim Magazine
    and Swimming World Magazine are good for motivation, covering the Master level, as well as the
    junior swimmers.

    Good luck and have fun.

    Greg

    "Micah McDaniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

  4. Spider Gc

[...]

    news:[email protected]ing.google.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

  5. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Micah
    McDaniel) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

    Hey Micah,

    I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a
    few times a week. And I have gotten into swimming, even though I was a non-swimmer about a year
    and a half ago.

    The way I did it:

    First, I took some lessons. I decided that I'd get more for my money by getting private lessons... 9
    classes over about two months, with lots of practice swims in-between classes. For quite a while
    there, I was swimming 4-5 times per week. The lessons really gave me a basis for swimming, after
    years of just treading water and doing the elementary back stroke - not much more. Lessons taught me
    front and back crawl, and breast stroke. After lessons ended, I kept at the practice.

    Along with the lessons, I bought a book that came highly recommended, called Total Immersion by
    Terry Laughlin. I believe there is more than one version of the book out there, so pick the one most
    suited to you. TI is a method of swimming that in my experience gives you the fastest and most
    noticeable improvement. Go to the TI website (not sure of the URL, just search it) and check out the
    little videos of demos of the TI method. Some folks don't like TI, but I'll swear by it because it
    got me swimming, pretty well and pretty quickly.

    Practise, practise, practise. Learn the strokes, practise them, practise good technique, do drills,
    mix it up, have fun with it. A year and a half ago it absolutely killed me to do one lap of a pool
    - any stroke; and now I can do a full kilometer (40 laps of a standard pool) without any problem.
    Not bad, eh?

    I hope my suggestions give you some direction, some ideas, whatever. Best of luck with it!

    Cam

  6. Cam Wilson

    McDaniel) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

    Hey Micah,

    I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a
    few times a week. And I have gotten into swimming, even though I was a non-swimmer about a year
    and a half ago.

    The way I did it:

    First, I took some lessons. I decided that I'd get more for my money by getting private lessons... 9
    classes over about two months, with lots of practice swims in-between classes. For quite a while
    there, I was swimming 4-5 times per week. The lessons really gave me a basis for swimming, after
    years of just treading water and doing the elementary back stroke - not much more. Lessons taught me
    front and back crawl, and breast stroke. After lessons ended, I kept at the practice.

    Along with the lessons, I bought a book that came highly recommended, called Total Immersion by
    Terry Laughlin. I believe there is more than one version of the book out there, so pick the one most
    suited to you. TI is a method of swimming that in my experience gives you the fastest and most
    noticeable improvement. Go to the TI website (not sure of the URL, just search it) and check out the
    little videos of demos of the TI method. Some folks don't like TI, but I'll swear by it because it
    got me swimming, pretty well and pretty quickly.

    Practise, practise, practise. Learn the strokes, practise them, practise good technique, do drills,
    mix it up, have fun with it. A year and a half ago it absolutely killed me to do one lap of a pool
    - any stroke; and now I can do a full kilometer (40 laps of a standard pool) without any problem.
    Not bad, eh?

    I hope my suggestions give you some direction, some ideas, whatever. Best of luck with it!

    Cam

  7. Cam Wilson

    McDaniel) wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    > beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    > enough here in Austin.
    >
    > So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    > beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    > beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    > Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    > about but me.
    >
    > Micah

    Hey Micah,

    I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a
    few times a week. And I have gotten into swimming, even though I was a non-swimmer about a year
    and a half ago.

    The way I did it:

    First, I took some lessons. I decided that I'd get more for my money by getting private lessons... 9
    classes over about two months, with lots of practice swims in-between classes. For quite a while
    there, I was swimming 4-5 times per week. The lessons really gave me a basis for swimming, after
    years of just treading water and doing the elementary back stroke - not much more. Lessons taught me
    front and back crawl, and breast stroke. After lessons ended, I kept at the practice.

    Along with the lessons, I bought a book that came highly recommended, called Total Immersion by
    Terry Laughlin. I believe there is more than one version of the book out there, so pick the one most
    suited to you. TI is a method of swimming that in my experience gives you the fastest and most
    noticeable improvement. Go to the TI website (not sure of the URL, just search it) and check out the
    little videos of demos of the TI method. Some folks don't like TI, but I'll swear by it because it
    got me swimming, pretty well and pretty quickly.

    Practise, practise, practise. Learn the strokes, practise them, practise good technique, do drills,
    mix it up, have fun with it. A year and a half ago it absolutely killed me to do one lap of a pool
    - any stroke; and now I can do a full kilometer (40 laps of a standard pool) without any problem.
    Not bad, eh?

    I hope my suggestions give you some direction, some ideas, whatever. Best of luck with it!

    Cam

  8. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    [email protected] left this mess on 22 May 2003 08:59:31 -0700 for The Way to clean up:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >enough here in Austin.
    >
    >So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    >beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    >beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    >Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    >about but me.

    Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is a boatload of
    information out there for you.

    Tao te Carl

    "Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

  9. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    [email protected] left this mess on 22 May 2003 08:59:31 -0700 for The Way to clean up:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >enough here in Austin.
    >
    >So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    >beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    >beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    >Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    >about but me.

    Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is a boatload of
    information out there for you.

    Tao te Carl

    "Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

  10. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    [email protected] left this mess on 22 May 2003 08:59:31 -0700 for The Way to clean up:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >enough here in Austin.
    >
    >So I'm looking for recommendations from the veterans out there for good sources of info for a
    >beginner ( a book, a website, etc.) Or if you feel like writing more, a weekly program for a
    >beginner would be nice (or any info you'd like to share).
    >
    >Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that are answered in a faq somewhere that everyone knows
    >about but me.

    Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is a boatload of
    information out there for you.

    Tao te Carl

    "Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

  11. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love running
    >too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a few
    >times a week.

    Is this a trend?

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  12. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Micah
    >McDaniel) wrote:

    >> I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >> beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >> enough here in Austin.

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love running
    >too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a few
    >times a week.

    Is this a trend?

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  13. Donal Fagan

    Donal Fagan Guest

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Micah
    >McDaniel) wrote:

    >> I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >> beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >> enough here in Austin.

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love running
    >too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a few
    >times a week.

    Is this a trend?

    Donal Fagan AIA [email protected]'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

  14. J. Sterling

    J. Sterling Guest

    "> Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is
    > a boatload of information out there for you.

    The URL for US Masters Swimming is http://www.usms.org

  15. J. Sterling

    J. Sterling Guest

    "> Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is
    > a boatload of information out there for you.

    The URL for US Masters Swimming is http://www.usms.org

  16. J. Sterling

    J. Sterling Guest

    "> Micah, do a web search for an organization called US Masters Swimming. There is
    > a boatload of information out there for you.

    The URL for US Masters Swimming is http://www.usms.org

  17. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

    >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Micah
    >>McDaniel) wrote:
    >
    >>> I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >>> beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >>> enough here in Austin.
    >
    >On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >>repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    >>running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a
    >>few times a week.
    >
    >Is this a trend?

    Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on (back
    in my case) to swimming.

    Tao te Carl

    "Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

  18. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

    >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Micah
    >>McDaniel) wrote:
    >
    >>> I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
    >>> beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm
    >>> enough here in Austin.
    >
    >On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >>repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    >>running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs, a
    >>few times a week.
    >
    >Is this a trend?

    Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on (back
    in my case) to swimming.

    Tao te Carl

    "Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

  19. De Valois

  20. On 23 May 2003 06:47:11 -0700, de Valois <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

    >>On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
    >>>repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
    >>>running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs,
    >>>a few times a week.
    >>
    >>Is this a trend?
    >>

    >Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on (back
    >in my case) to swimming.

    Everyone has a limit to the number of miles they can run in a week at a certain intensity without
    injury. For elite runners, this pushes 100 miles, but for many others like myself it is either 20 -
    25 easy miles or ~15 at a harder pace.

    I think the problems begin when those for whom running is their only exercise try to push themselves
    beyond their limits in terms of total training volume. The typical pattern is get an injury, do
    nothing at all for several weeks, then hit the road again trying to pick up where they left off,
    often re-injuring themselves in the process. At least for those of us who both swim and run, the
    probability of an injury is reduced because most of us don't feel the need to run 6 days a week and
    the recovery is better because the physical atrophy and
    psychological guilt of not running is greatly reduced by swimming.