new to swimming, need recommendations

On 23 May 2003 06:47:11 -0700, de Valois <[email protected]> wrote:

>Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

>>On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
>>>repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
>>>running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs,
>>>a few times a week.
>>
>>Is this a trend?
>>

>Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on (back
>in my case) to swimming.

Everyone has a limit to the number of miles they can run in a week at a certain intensity without
injury. For elite runners, this pushes 100 miles, but for many others like myself it is either 20 -
25 easy miles or ~15 at a harder pace.

I think the problems begin when those for whom running is their only exercise try to push themselves
beyond their limits in terms of total training volume. The typical pattern is get an injury, do
nothing at all for several weeks, then hit the road again trying to pick up where they left off,
often re-injuring themselves in the process. At least for those of us who both swim and run, the
probability of an injury is reduced because most of us don't feel the need to run 6 days a week and
the recovery is better because the physical atrophy and
psychological guilt of not running is greatly reduced by swimming.

On 23 May 2003 06:47:11 -0700, de Valois <[email protected]> wrote:

>Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

>>On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:43:22 -0400, Cam Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I can totally relate to you situation. I come from a running background and have learned that the
>>>repetitive stress on the legs from running just doesn't agree with my body... but I do love
>>>running too much to totally give it up. So I continue to run, but have cut back to shorter runs,
>>>a few times a week.
>>
>>Is this a trend?
>>

>Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on (back
>in my case) to swimming.

Everyone has a limit to the number of miles they can run in a week at a certain intensity without
injury. For elite runners, this pushes 100 miles, but for many others like myself it is either 20 -
25 easy miles or ~15 at a harder pace.

I think the problems begin when those for whom running is their only exercise try to push themselves
beyond their limits in terms of total training volume. The typical pattern is get an injury, do
nothing at all for several weeks, then hit the road again trying to pick up where they left off,
often re-injuring themselves in the process. At least for those of us who both swim and run, the
probability of an injury is reduced because most of us don't feel the need to run 6 days a week and
the recovery is better because the physical atrophy and
psychological guilt of not running is greatly reduced by swimming.

Radioactive left this mess on Sat, 24 May 2003 03:47:55 GMT for The Way to clean up:

>On 23 May 2003 06:47:11 -0700, de Valois <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Donal left this mess on Fri, 23 May 2003 13:10:57 GMT for The Way to clean up:

>>>Is this a trend?
>>>

>>Might be. I gave up running because of my knees, but I stopped off at biking before moving on
>>(back in my case) to swimming.
>
>Everyone has a limit to the number of miles they can run in a week at a certain intensity without
>injury. For elite runners, this pushes 100 miles, but for many others like myself it is either 20 -
>25 easy miles or ~15 at a harder pace.
>
>I think the problems begin when those for whom running is their only exercise try to push
>themselves beyond their limits in terms of total training volume. The typical pattern is get an
>injury, do nothing at all for several weeks, then hit the road again trying to pick up where they
>left off, often re-injuring themselves in the process. At least for those of us who both swim and
>run, the probability of an injury is reduced because most of us don't feel the need to run 6 days a
>week and the recovery is better because the physical atrophy and
>psychological guilt of not running is greatly reduced by swimming.

Or some of us simply had old sports injuries that never really went away :)

Tao te Carl

"Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

> [...]

>injury, do nothing at all for several weeks, then hit the road again trying to pick up where they
>left off, often re-injuring themselves in the process. At least for those of us who both swim and
>run, the probability of an injury is reduced because most of us don't feel the need to run 6 days a
>week and the recovery is better because the physical atrophy and
>psychological guilt of not running is greatly reduced by swimming.

Or some of us simply had old sports injuries that never really went away :)

Tao te Carl

"Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

>I've never tried swimming for exercise before, but as I get older, running 5-6 days a week is
>beginning to take a toll on my knees, so I thought I'd give swimming a try. Lord knows it's warm

Micah,

I highly recommend you visit the Hills Fitness Center on Bee Caves Road in Austin and set an
appointment for a swimming lesson with Jimmy. Last time I checked he is still teaching there (I left
Austin after college a couple of years ago to come to Houston.)

Great facilities there- pools indoor and out. Also an OUTSTANDING Masters Swimming program for all
swimmers from beginners to former Olympians.

The group has many meeting times as well- most mornings at 6AM and most evenings too, with a
Saturday session. So you can go just about any time you like around a regular work schedule.

This is where my love for swimming began and I recommend it most highly with fondest memories.

Best,

Tom.