New to Sydney

auscan

Mar 10, 2004
I have just moved to Western Sydney (Near Parramatta) and need some help on finding a local bunch to train with. I have been cycling since the start of last year (I'm 22) and really love track cycling. My coach back home and I had been discussing that I would train specifically for 500m time trials this season but I had to move suddenly and now I am stuck without a coach and nobody to train with :(
I havn't trained for about 5 weeks and I am really missing it, being as I am not from the city, training on the roads up here is a little daunting and I havn't been game to venture out alone for fear that I will become road kill (besides the fact that it doesn't take much to get me completely lost around here).

If anybody can give me some information to get me started up here I would be really grateful.

Originally posted by auscan
I have just moved to Western Sydney (Near Parramatta) and need some help on finding a local bunch to train with. I have been cycling since the start of last year (I'm 22) and really love track cycling. My coach back home and I had been discussing that I would train specifically for 500m time trials this season but I had to move suddenly and now I am stuck without a coach and nobody to train with :(
I havn't trained for about 5 weeks and I am really missing it, being as I am not from the city, training on the roads up here is a little daunting and I havn't been game to venture out alone for fear that I will become road kill (besides the fact that it doesn't take much to get me completely lost around here).

If anybody can give me some information to get me started up here I would be really grateful.

check out the cycling clubs page on Bicycles Network Australia

http://www.bicycles.net.au/links/clubs.html

You could try Parramatta Park for training, and you find many other cyclists train there, so you might meet some from the local clubs

Mike

If you're interested in track cycling, there's the Friday Night Winter Track Racing at the Dunc Gray Velodrome. Haven't attended it myself, but I saw it mentioned at the end of this page on CyclingNews.com.

There's more info at the web site referred to in the article, www.fnwtr.tk.

Dunc Gray Velodrome is pretty easy to find and to get to from Parramatta. (I'm totally hopeless at Sydney, but didn't have any trouble when I went there for the World Cup a few weeks ago.)