new to the sport please help me with selecting a bike

ricky776

Jul 5, 2005
Hi

My names Rick iam new to the sport and have not got a clue ive been shopping around for a new bike ive seen a couple can you please tell me with is best

Claud Butler - roubaix - carbon fork

Raleigh - airlite 200

i have been told the top one is best but its only 16 speed but the releigh is 24 does this mean much

i have £400 to spend

now in my eyes the best way to train for raod races is to put miles on your bike is this the best way to train

now the last thing is does any one any clubs in lymm as i don't no any one to train with

thanks for you time and help

thank again
Rick

Go for the Specialized Roubaix

I've heard the newest model has the same stuff as last year and a 20% price reduction.

For a Road Race 16 speeds is all you need, 24 speeds have about 8 unusable gear ratios because they are too low to be neccesary.

My advice would be to go to a good bike shop and look to see what they have in your price range and trial ride a few. Also consider a used bike, as you will get more bike for your money. 16 speeds will be fine. As far as a local club to join? Try doing a google search on the internet, plus also ask at your local bike shop (hopefully there is one fairly close to where you live).

Training? Get out there and get pedalling!, once you have built up some basic fitness, you can start to look at specific areas where you can focus on to improve your performance.