new to the sport what the best way to train

ricky776

Jul 5, 2005
hi

iam new to the sport and want to take up road raceing whats the best way to train and how offten

thanks and bye

RICK

I follow Andy Coggan's schema, but I am also looking at Ric Stern's schema (see below). They're similar but Ric's schema is based on a maximum effort power vs. a 40K TT power and it has overlapping zones. Get a PM to make most efficient use of your training time -- apart from the frame, wheels and drivetrain, it's the most important piece of equipment on your bike. How much to train? How much time do you have? I train 14-20 hrs/wk. Don't expect instant results -- it's like water dripping on a stone. I just resumed training for racing about 3 1/2 months ago and I don't expect to be ready to clip in at the start line until next Spring. But, then I don't much like the idea of paying a fee and getting dropped. I can do that for free with the local semi-pro race team.
http://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/Power_Training_Chapter.pdf
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

Hello!

Say i don't have enough money to buy a power meter, is there another way to gain speed and distance effectively? Would an additional 5km every ride be beneficial for distance while increasing increments of 2-3kph to average speed help? I'm happy to say that my bike route has a fair share of climbs and flats.
Thanks!

jerdz said:
Hello!

Say i don't have enough money to buy a power meter, is there another way to gain speed and distance effectively? Would an additional 5km every ride be beneficial for distance while increasing increments of 2-3kph to average speed help? I'm happy to say that my bike route has a fair share of climbs and flats.
Thanks!
Both Andy's and Ric's schemas have training zones defined by both power and HR. A HR monitor, while not as good as a PM for managing your training regimen, costs less than $100. As to increasing speed, the key is spending 2-3 days a week doing intervals rather than riding slightly faster each week at a steady pace. If you read Andy Coggan's discussion of the training benefit of each training zone, you'll understand why.

RapDaddyo said:
Both Andy's and Ric's schemas have training zones defined by both power and HR. A HR monitor, while not as good as a PM for managing your training regimen, costs less than $100. As to increasing speed, the key is spending 2-3 days a week doing intervals rather than riding slightly faster each week at a steady pace. If you read Andy Coggan's discussion of the training benefit of each training zone, you'll understand why.
:D Wow! Superquick reply! thanks! I haven't seen any bike shops in the Philippines selling power meters lately so, hopefully they become pretty ubiquitous in the coming years. Maybe i can get that heart rate meter by christmas...

When you say intervals, you mean that i ride 20km on day 1, then 25km on day 2 then 20km again on day 3? Then on the next week, day 1 is 25km, on day 2 30km, so on, just like climbing the stairs gradually? The speed doesn't matter? I can go at an average of 25-28kph on the flats, 16-18kph on the hills so far.

I downloaded the andy pdf file and found it too technical while Ric's page was a bit easier to understand.

Thanks!

He really means intervals like 1km hard then some easy recovery, repeat. I do 1.2km intervals 2 sets of 5 repeats. It might not sound like much, but its bloody hard work.

AussieRob said:
He really means intervals like 1km hard then some easy recovery, repeat. I do 1.2km intervals 2 sets of 5 repeats. It might not sound like much, but its bloody hard work.

:cool: That clears it pretty much, Thanks! Time to ride then!!!