New To the Sport

csmith

New Member
May 20, 2003
Hi everyone,

I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure where to look, any information would be a bonus.

Thanks.

Hi Chris

Where abouts are you?

Cheers

John

"csmith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am
> not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up
> to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure
> where to look, any information would be a bonus.

If you are anywhere near Melbourne have a look at our club website www.mbtc.org.au

Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club is the largest and most active cycle touring club in Victoria. We
hold a club meeting every Wednesday night at the Trades Hall at corner of Victoria Pde and Lygon St
at 8.00pm. Come along tonight and you'll see Alan Walker's recent tour of Morocco - I'll be there
for this one. We usually run 2-3 rides on a weekend with fairly frequent weekend camping tours. Day
rides vary from 30km bike track dawdles to 120km road bike challenge rides.

Cheers Peter

John,

It's actually Craig but that's Okay, csmith could have been anyone!!
I am in Sydney, in the West. I would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere in Sydney for good rides, but close to home would be better.

Thanks

Originally posted by John Staines
Hi Chris

Where abouts are you?

Cheers

John

csmith wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am
> not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up
> to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure
> where to look, any information would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks.
:) :)

Originally posted by Peter Signorini
"csmith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am
> not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up
> to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure
> where to look, any information would be a bonus.

If you are anywhere near Melbourne have a look at our club website www.mbtc.org.au

Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club is the largest and most active cycle touring club in Victoria. We
hold a club meeting every Wednesday night at the Trades Hall at corner of Victoria Pde and Lygon St
at 8.00pm. Come along tonight and you'll see Alan Walker's recent tour of Morocco - I'll be there
for this one. We usually run 2-3 rides on a weekend with fairly frequent weekend camping tours. Day
rides vary from 30km bike track dawdles to 120km road bike challenge rides.

Cheers Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the info but I am in Sydney. Sorry!! Maybe one day I might move to Melbourne, something which I would like to do. Anyway have fun riding,

Thanks

Craig:) :)

Craig!

I must apologise...very sorry about that. :eek:)

I'm in SA so I guess it'll be abit hard to catch up for a Sunday Spin :eek:)

Cheers

John

csmith wrote:

> John Staines wrote:
> > Hi Chris Where abouts are you? Cheers John csmith wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season.
> > > I am not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess
> > > distances up to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be
> > > fantastic. Not really sure where to look, any information would be a bonus.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
>
> John,
>
> It's actually Craig but that's Okay, csmith could have been anyone!! I am in Sydney, in the West.
> I would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere in Sydney for good rides, but close to home
> would be better.
>
> Thanks
>
> :) :)

John Staines Acquisition Department Phone: 61 8 8303 5347 Barr Smith Library Fax: 61 8 8303 4369
Adelaide University South Australia 5005 Australia

Email: [email protected] Alternate email: [email protected]

csmith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am
> not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up
> to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure
> where to look, any information would be a bonus.

I've been for a number of rides with (and can recommend) the Muggaccinos
- their rides are anywhere from 75-100km+ and usually involve at least one decent climb (sometimes
four!). Very few of them race, however, and the pace is not outrageous - it certainly helps the
slower or less fit riders that the group stops for coffee and/or snacks at least once during the
ride, depending on route and length. Plus there are "sag stops" to let the group (usu. about 10-20
riders) reform.

Only catch is they start at sparrow fart on Sunday mornings, which is tough if you like going out on
Saturday night, but at least you have the option.

For insurance reasons, the Muggs do require you to be a member of either Bike NSW or Bike North
(makes financial sense to join BNSW anyway, what with the bike shop discount you get).

URLs:
=====
Muggs: http://www.muggaccinos.com BNSW: http://www.bicyclensw.org.au Bike North:
http://galifrey.triode.net.au/bikenorth

Apart from that, check out BNSW's "Push On" ride guide (subscription included in BNSW membership)
for other organised rides in the Sydney area.

HTH,

&roo

Audax Australia run quite a number each year and have a few 50K & 100K rides in their program. The
minimum pace is 15Km/h and they always seem to include a bakery or cafe in the route. Membership is
not compulsory. Website http://www.audax.org.au Ride Calendar
http://www.audax.org.au/calendar/index.html

csmith wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently took up triathlons and was looking to do some road riding during the off season. I am
> not sure if club racing is for me but was after more touring(?) style rides. I guess distances up
> to about 100km on a weekend would be great, Saturday mornings would be fantastic. Not really sure
> where to look, any information would be a bonus.
>
> Thanks.

Craig

Take a look around Kuringai National Park. On a Sunday morning there is very little traffic and few flat stretches. A few good hills (up to 4km) and some fantastic scenery.

Make the effort to get to West Head and treat yourself to a lookout from the lookout.

Plenty of cyclists out there of lots of standards.