New To This - Changing Flats

jnorth51

May 5, 2006
Hi all.

New to the board. I have been riding a mountain bike only for the past 3 years and just recently bought a ride bike. I am picking it up next week. I can't wait.

However, here's the issue, since I had my mountain bike, I have only had one flat! And one of the guys I was riding with fixed it on the side of the trail in a very short period of time. That was it.

Now that I have a road bike, I am nervous about having to change flats (as i haven't changed a flat in YEARS). :eek: I mean, I have a pump, patch kits, tire levers, etc, I just wouldn't know where to start. I want to become effient at this so are there any online resources that someone can point me to so I can get some pointers in order to be better equipped at this?

Thanks so much (sorry for the basic question!)

The google link is good. I would add three points.

1. You don't have to pull the tire completely off the rim to change a clincher. You can pull one side off and remove the tube, check the tire and put on the new tube without ever removing the other side from the rim.
  2. I reemphasize the point about checking the inside of the tire before putting the new tube in. Sometimes the cause of the flat is an extremely small metal object that protrudes far enough through the tire to puncture the tube, but very hard to see or feel. If you put a new tube in without finding and removing the object, you will flat again immediately.
  3. You will probably reinflate with a CO2 pump. It is very logical to position the valve at the top of the wheel because it's easiest to reach. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of tubes blowing out at the top as they are reinflated. I suppose this is partially a function of how rapidly the air goes in. Anyway, I always position the stem on the bottom when I reinflate a new tube.

RapDaddyo said:
You will probably reinflate with a CO2 pump. It is very logical to position the valve at the top of the wheel because it's easiest to reach. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of tubes blowing out at the top as they are reinflated. I suppose this is partially a function of how rapidly the air goes in. Anyway, I always position the stem on the bottom when I reinflate a new tube.
Blow outs have more to do with bead seating than valve orientation. You want an inflator with an easy to control valve so that you can get a little bit of gas in, then check to make sure the bead is seated properly before inflating the rest of the way. It may still make some sense to keep the valve on the bottom because any moisture in there is going to condense and freeze. It's not often enough to do any damage, but it's still better to have that condensation flow down into the tube than into the valve.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

So, i don't necessarily need to take the tire completetly off the rim to fix these, correct?

And, if you are on the road and get a flat, is it faster to try and fix it there, or simply use a spare tube (that i carry with me) and inflate that instead?

To patch or not to patch ..... that is the question which will elicit lenghty debate. Personally, I always use a new tube. They are cheap when stocked up on sale.

In theory, it would seem that changing the tube would be quicker on the side of the road, correct? Then when i get home, i could patch the other tube? Does this make sense?

Also, another beginner question - at least when i have been mountain biking, i carry a camelbak and had my bike pump in that. where do you carry a pump on a road bike?? :eek:

jnorth51 said:
In theory, it would seem that changing the tube would be quicker on the side of the road, correct? Then when i get home, i could patch the other tube? Does this make sense?

Also, another beginner question - at least when i have been mountain biking, i carry a camelbak and had my bike pump in that. where do you carry a pump on a road bike?? :eek:
You're right. Fresh tube on the road and patch the punctured one when you get home. You should still carry a patch kit though in case you get a second flat. Most small pumps come with a mounting bracket that you can attach under your water bottle cage.

That makes sense. It would seem to me, that I would be able to put a new tube on and then fix the flat when i got home. Interesting.

Good point about the pump. I bought one last night for my road bike. it did come with a mounting bracket for under the water bottle cage. Maybe its because I didn't have a road bike before, and haven't paid that close attention to road bikes, but i wondered if most people riding them, actually attached their pumps to their frames. Good to know.
Thanks!

Check the forum for yet another enthralling debate between mini pump and CO2 inflators, both usually carried in your jersey pocket.

jnorth51 said:

Another option, depending on length of the pump, is just to stash it in a jersey pocket. Seems like all the mounting brackets are made for round frame-tubes; if you have an aero frame (like a Soloist) or a not-aero frame (like an R3), you may not be able to mount the bracket securely.

wow. i didn't know that this was such a debate.

so it isn't uncommon for someone on a road bike to have a mini pump mounted on their frame, correct?

and by the way, i have a round tube (Giant OCR3) and a mini pump already (not a CO2).

jnorth51 said:
wow. i didn't know that this was such a debate.

so it isn't uncommon for someone on a road bike to have a mini pump mounted on their frame, correct?

and by the way, i have a round tube (Giant OCR3) and a mini pump already (not a CO2).

Mini-pump goes in the center jersey pocket. I have a Crank Brothers one that measures 5.5 inches.