New to this game - what bike do you reccommend?

James Felstead

Sep 8, 2003
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at buying my first bike in years. I di have a bike when I was at college but cince then (about 6 years ago) haven't riden anything.

I guess my interest in cycling as a sport (rather than simply a mode of transport) has also developed during that time.

I'm looking at getting a road bike that I will probably use to ride into work when it's not raining. However I'd like to be able to use it at weekends in a more serious way.

I don't want to spend £1000's as I might decide it's not for me!

Anyone got any particular recomendations?

I've been looking at a Trek 1000 as a starting point and would consider anything in that kind of price range.

When I'm fully hooked I'll look at the more expensive models!

cheers

James

i recently got a giant ocr3, great bike, cheaper than the trek, compact frame which is pretty cool. check it out...

Originally posted by James Felstead
anyone?
I'd help if I could, but I'm another newbie lurking (relatively) quietly to see what suggestions you get! :D

There are quite a few threads going back a bit about bike recommendations and comparisons, so perhaps browsing back a way (or searching the forum for brands you're interested in) might help.

From hanging around here I've got a mental list of manufacturers and models to check out in spring when I get my first road bike. But the trouble, based on my snooping around local bike shops over the past few months, is that most of the interesting-sounding ones don't seem to be available here in Sydney. :rolleyes:

I just started about 1 month ago with a TREK 1000. I love the bike, it seemed to be the best deal for the money where I live. I will eventually move up, but to start with I'm very happy.

If you are in the Trek 1000 range, I would suggest getting a copy of the recent U.S. Consumer Report's that tested several bikes in that price range.

The top choice was the Bianchi Eros. But, then it all dependes on personal choice. I like Treks because they are excellent bikes and because of their outstanding customer service. Cannondale's are excellent, too, as are Bianchi's, Litespeeds,......

Hit a bike shop or two, talk to the people there and you might be able to narrow down your choices, then do some test riding.

For the first road bike, I would go with a brand name from a good company and that is also recommended by my LBS.

Here are a couple of reviews from folks who have purchased Trek 1000 bikes. Here is their main page. Also take a look at Road Bike Review.

If you are serious about commuting, try the Trek 520 when you test ride the 1000. A touring bike is better able to deal with poor road surfaces. They have braze-ons for racks and mudguards. Their geometry is less sport oriented and generally more comfortable on long rides. They are slower than road bikes, but you can improve you speed by learning to spin. An excellent resource in England is St John Street Cycles in Bridgwater, Somerset. They stock a great range of touring, audax, and randonee bikes that may fit your needs.

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at buying my first bike in years. I di have a bike when I was at college but cince then (about 6 years ago) haven't riden anything.

I guess my interest in cycling as a sport (rather than simply a mode of transport) has also developed during that time.

I'm looking at getting a road bike that I will probably use to ride into work when it's not raining. However I'd like to be able to use it at weekends in a more serious way.

I don't want to spend £1000's as I might decide it's not for me!

Anyone got any particular recomendations?

I've been looking at a Trek 1000 as a starting point and would consider anything in that kind of price range.

When I'm fully hooked I'll look at the more expensive models!

cheers

James

James...you may want to check out a Fuji Professional. I think you can get them on eBay for pretty cheap. Just a suggestion.

Best Wishes,
Vector7

thanks for all the advice guys - will check out the recommendations.

Thank you

James

You can go used to get started and see if you like it. There are many good used bikes out there for cheap. If not I would go with a shimano 105 equiped bike for under $1000. 105 is very durable and good enough to last for years.

thanks for all the advice guys - will check out the recommendations.

Thank you

James

I would go with a used bike.

However if new is what you want, then I would go with shimano 105 equiped bike for under 1000. It will last years and you can ride with the big boys any time. Anything less than that and you will notice the difference when you ride with serious riders.