New to this...replaced stem, now steerer tube loose

mikdes

Aug 11, 2004
I replaced my stem and it's not quite as "tall" on the steerer tube as the prior one. I guess that's called stack height? Anyway, it's maybe 1-2 mm shorter. Well, it won't go all the way down to the top spacer and, it seems, there is some play. I can see a very slight bit of the steerer tube (fork tube? New to this). Steering isn't a problem. The problem is that when I brake I get a "click," so there's some play. Last night I thought I had it fixed simply by trying to get everything "down," but this evening it seems to have surfaced a bit, though not as bad as at first.

First, is it a huge no-no to ride with it this way? I'd like to commute tomorrow but don't want to cause any damage.

Second, what can I do to resolve this? Just add a spacer?

Thanks much.

mikdes said:
I replaced my stem and it's not quite as "tall" on the steerer tube as the prior one. I guess that's called stack height? Anyway, it's maybe 1-2 mm shorter. Well, it won't go all the way down to the top spacer and, it seems, there is some play. I can see a very slight bit of the steerer tube (fork tube? New to this). Steering isn't a problem. The problem is that when I brake I get a "click," so there's some play. Last night I thought I had it fixed simply by trying to get everything "down," but this evening it seems to have surfaced a bit, though not as bad as at first.

First, is it a huge no-no to ride with it this way? I'd like to commute tomorrow but don't want to cause any damage.

Second, what can I do to resolve this? Just add a spacer?

Thanks much.

Don't ride it. Add a spacer. Top of steerer tube should be just below the top of the stem to properly seat the headset bearing.

capwater said:
Don't ride it. Add a spacer. Top of steerer tube should be just below the top of the stem to properly seat the headset bearing.
Actually, it needs to be far enough below the top of the stem that the top cap does not touch it.

boudreaux said:
Actually, it needs to be far enough below the top of the stem that the top cap does not touch it.

Correct - Cane Creek recommends about 3mm when unloaded, which should give sufficient clearance to clamp the whole system down. The OP needs a spacer or two.

Ritch

boudreaux said:

Yeah, yeah I know... just didn't feel like being real precise on a Friday morning this early........ :p

ritcho said:
Correct - Cane Creek recommends about 3mm when unloaded, which should give sufficient clearance to clamp the whole system down. The OP needs a spacer or two.

Ritch
It's about 1mm right now, so I'll look for one today and will drive in. Too bad as it's sunny and will be about 77 this afternoon. :cool:

Another option is shorten the steerer tube by 2 mm, assuming your bar height is OK now. Of course this is permanent, you can't put it back later. But it's also free.