New to this

texastrack04

Mar 29, 2004
Hi my name is Jeff I just recently acquired an interest in riding. Can anyone help me with tips on what kind of bikes are good for a beginner, training...that sort of stuff. Right now I run track and am in pretty good shape. Thanks!:D

Originally posted by texastrack04
Hi my name is Jeff I just recently acquired an interest in riding. Can anyone help me with tips on what kind of bikes are good for a beginner, training...that sort of stuff. Right now I run track and am in pretty good shape. Thanks!:D

Find a good lbs you like and feel good about and talk to them. They should show different types and so on.

Originally posted by shokhead12
Find a good lbs you like and feel good about and talk to them. They should show different types and so on.

well i wanted to find some good advice on here before i went in. i dont wanna come in totally clueless to as what i am looking for and need.

This is my second year of road cycling. I was a mountain biker for years...here is what I have learned so far......

You will spend more money than you have....you will have buyer remorse until you really start to fit into your new ride.....(then it will go away)

Trust your LBS but find a LBS you can trust.....either go to one you like right off (get lucky) or read and talk on her so much about what you want that you go in and tell them what you want. They own a bike shop to make money....they will want to sell you what they have first.....

Light does not always mean strong....You have t look for the durable bike stuff....You'll find a lot of bike stuff is made for the average 165 pound rider.....or course this will not be an issue if you weigh 165...LOL

I talked about money right?

In my opinion....ebay ebay ebay...lots of very good cheap bike stuff on there....I personally have bought and sold many things on ebay. Including my girlfriends old Specilized bike....got 900 for it...which was a good deal for the buyer and a new set of wheels for her new bike.....

I hope you enjoy your new sport. We sure do. It is a great way to really "see" many places and meet lots of new people.

Biff

OK. Where will you ride?
How much to spend?
What brands are at your lbs?
What are your riding areas like,surface wise?
How big are you?
Now its your turn.

Originally posted by shokhead12
OK. Where will you ride?
How much to spend?
What brands are at your lbs?
What are your riding areas like,surface wise?
How big are you?
Now its your turn.

Here is what we use where we live....I am sure if we have this in Oklahoma you have something where you are at..

http://www.tulsabicycleclub.com/rides_locator.php

I have a Giant TCR, my girlfriend rides a Orbea Orca. Litespeed, Giant, Specilized, Cannondale are all good bikes.....I have a Cdale mtn bike and I have put it through many things....

Oklahoma roads are pretty good actually....it really is something that is "open" you never know....watch for cracks....glass...road kill...but on a normal route this stuff should be minimal. One of the local bike shops here cleans the area up for the riders (adopt a section of road)

I am 250.....6'2".....a big boy in other words....racing is out of the question for me but I can sure think I am fast... :) it is all about having fun and find something that keeps me from hitting 300 LOL

Biff

i live in texas. the road surface here is nice. i am about average size i guess...6'0 165lbs. Right now i am not really sure on how much to spend. one of my friends does biking and told me to look into giant for a bike. our lbs seems to be pretty good but i am not sure. i guess i will go check that out today.

alright well i went to my lbs today and these are the bikes they told me i should look into....Giant ocr3 and trek 1000! please tell me your opinions on this. thanks!

There must be at least 150 companies or more that make frames.There are varied levels of these frames in aluminum,steel carbon and combinations thereof. From $300 to $15000 or more.Try to find a frame that fits you that you like the color of and outfit it with good components.Shimano Ultegra or better (in my opinion). Make sure you deal with someone that knows how to size you to your bike including but not limited to frame size, stem length and angle and bar width. Consider the type of pedals you get. Are you going to use clipless? There again I like the ultegra or dura ace. I have Look pedals now but may switch in the near future. I have my wife on Ultegra pedals and they seem to work great. And consider your saddle carefully. What may feel good to sit on may be a pain in the butt to pedal on. It depends on your anatomy and the way you ride. I personally have not had luck with a gel seat. They fell good to the touch but don't travel well,for me anyway. Again I wouldn't dwell so much on brand names of bikes as much as what goes on it and you probably won't need a triple crank unless you are doing a lot of extreme climbing.

ok, i am a beginner and those bikes are what my lbs said should work. there arent vvery many hills in my area so i wont be doing much climbing but like i said, i am totally new to this stuff. so all your help is very much appreciated.

Different frames so test ride them both and see how you feel on them. Ride in the saddle and ride standing up and see what you think.

ok, i am a beginner and those bikes are what my lbs said should work. there arent vvery many hills in my area so i wont be doing much climbing but like i said, i am totally new to this stuff. so all your help is very much appreciated.

I'm a newby too.. But, I've done a lot of research and have asked a few questions on this forum and have gathered some good info here. I started out looking at the LeMond Nevada city and the Trek 1000. Both bikes are close in value. The nevada city does have a carbon fork though. $519.00 for the trek and $569.00 for the LeMond. Keep in mind that both of these bikes as well as that OCR 3 sport Sora compenents. Which will cost you if you intend to upgrade later on. The best advice I can give you having been in your shoes very recently is to pass on what I feel is the single most valuable piece of advice I got from this forum. Ride, ride ride. I just took a few hours out of the day for a few days and visited every bs in my area and tried all brands above and below my price range. I found the LeMond Reno to be the best value at 799.00 or the trek 1200 at 749.00. The reno is black and the 1200 is red. I also rode the Felt F70 which had 105 components, it was $889.00. They are all good bikes in my (newby) opinion. What I did is compare the feel of the ride/fit, price and value and I ended up getting a 2001 (new off the showroom floor) LeMond Buenos Aires. At 900.00 It has all 105 components (including crank and brakes) which is a rare find on new bikes in that price range plus sports a steel frame (opinions may vary on the frame). Anyway, the only reason I can see a bs recommending the bikes you mentioned must be the price range you gave them. Everyone I talked to tried to steer me away fron those two bikes based on what I told them that I was going to put many miles on it and wanted a good frame to upgrade later. Key word is upgrade....From what I have read and heard, those two bikes are not worthy of upgrading due to the lack of a carbon fork =$$$ to add and sora 8spd more $$$'s to upgrade. There are lots of things to think about. I wouldn't worry about not knowing much when going to your lbs. What I did was went to each one, acted stupid (which may not be much of an act:) ) and asked questions and saw what kind of bike they wanted to put me based on my questions. Afterwards I came to the forums asked the same questions, looked up reviews on the bikes and was able to determine which bike shop was just trying to get me into a bike and which one was sincere and seemed more trustworthy...Good luck and I hope that you find a bike that is right for you.

ok as far upgrading goes, i never even thought of that. thank you for pointing that out to me! i am looking to hopefully become somewhat of a competitive rider and doing road races and such later on so do you think the bikes u recomended would be good for some decent amounts of mileage and maybe some races? at least before upgrades? thanks again fro your tips!

ok as far upgrading goes, i never even thought of that. thank you for pointing that out to me! i am looking to hopefully become somewhat of a competitive rider and doing road races and such later on so do you think the bikes u recomended would be good for some decent amounts of mileage and maybe some races? at least before upgrades? thanks again fro your tips!
You sound like me! However, remember that I'm new at this as well so I don't feel comfortable dishing out that kind of advice, I can only relay what I've learned. Having said that, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any bike that has 105 or better on it. Plus from what I've seen you want to be careful of the geometry fo the frame. I've ridden the reno, loved the bike but like I said found a better deal on a old/new bike. Fuji Roubaix, 2003 model was also a good ride. The felt rode well but I just didn't feel too well about the fsa gossamer crank, last year they had 105 this year they put fsa on it. Anyway, not being well versed in all of this, just my opinion, I like the LeMonds. Bottom line, if you want to upgrade, stay away from sora. So, any bike that feels right, isn't a "comfort bike" geometry and has a carbon fork with Tiagra 9spd or above should do you fine. At least that is what I've gleaned from forums and my own observation. As far as price, my personal philosophy was to find a bike in the 800-1000 price range and find out what I like and don't like and then some time down the road buy that "High end" screamer....

have u done ne research on training stuff? should i do a race before i start my training to see where i am or is there a program i can start? once i figure this out, i can start riding!

I have lots of info, where to start... This may become the longest post in the history of the forum, but I'm going to try and answer all your questions,

Its great your getting into road cycling, It's awsome, welcome.

On whether you should race first: You know, If you havent put in any miles this season, I strongly recomend that you do not race first, but try and put in some time, wait till you at least have 100 miles under your belt. It helps that your a runner and your areobic shape is probably up, but cycling uses different muscles, and the pack can be fierce, Its not that great a feeling to watch the pack disapear around the next corner as you drop off the rear. But if you want, go for it!! Even if you get droped, I'm willing to bet you'll be hooked and eager for the next race.

What Bike Should I Buy? Looking at the Treck 1000, and the Giant OCR 3, I'd say get the Giant. But theres much more to it than that. I ride a Trek 5200, its carbon, sweet bike. I also work at a Giant bike shop. When I bought my Trek in 01, it was a big decision on how much money that I was willing to spend. It was my first bike, and I wasnt sure if this was what I wanted to do. Your probably in the same boat here. Here comes tons of information. First, Giant factorys make the Trek frames:eek: Second, get the compact geometry, I ride traditional, but I can see the benifits of the compact. Theres only a few frame sizes that fit a wide range of riders, so its hard to screw up, youd be on a large frame. The stem and saddle height would be fitted for you, and off you go. You dont have to measure the top tube or any of that jazz. Its really simple. Also, you get a whole lot more bang for your buck with Giant. I wouldnt get the OCR 3. You do not want Shimano Sora, UGH. I'd shoot for the OCR 1, its a little more, but theres a trick. Bike shops are buisnesses, and the comon practice is to mark up, you ready for this, 100%. In the shop I work at, if someone walks in the store and is ready to lay down CASH, they get a HUGE discount. So if the sticker on the OCR 1 is say 1500, and you walk in the store with 11, or 1200, I'm willing to bet youd walk out of there with an OCR 1. The reason you want a OCR 1 over the 3 is components. The Ultegra will last you way longere than Sora. And if your even considering racing, then you want Ultegra. Its lighter, and way better. The OCR 1 comes with a Carbon Fibre Fork, and Seatpoast. This helps out with road vibrations a TON. Giants are cool bikes too. They climb really well, and their a lot stiffer without the sacrafice of comfort, so their pretty good for sprinting and climbing. Get the Giant dude. I'm not saying that because I work at a Giant shop, but because I want you to get the best thing for you. Another thing, in the length of just a few years, you get a whole lot more for your money than you used to. I bought my Trek for 2200, and then later spent a couple grand upgrading it to Campy. Buy once, not twice. Dont settle for **** because later your gonna wish you didnt, and then its going to be more cash out of the pocket trying to fix your mistake. Moving on.

Training: Like I said earlier, I wouldn't race before you start training. I can tell you how the results will be if you do. Get out, get some miles, get comfortable on your bike. The owner of the shop I work at is a formal national cycling champion, he knows his stuff, and I learn what I can from him. One thing you absolutly must work on, Cadence. This is key. If you can spin a 39-16 comfortably at 100-120, when you spin a 53-12 at 100 your gonna be flying. Since there are no hills in your area, your going to have to push yourself to the max manually. There's a lot of pain involved in the sport, but its all love, you come to crave it. You probably already know what I'm talkin about because you run, so good stuff. Do intervals. Ride along at a good pace, but push yourself for 10 minutes or so at a time, feel the burn. This helps to build up. (it's escaping me for the moment what it helps to build up. :p ) There's lots of books on training, I'm sure you could find something at your local Barnes and Noble. I recomend Lemonds Complete Book of Bycling, and The Solo Cyclist. Both are dated when it comes to the technology, but their training info is excelent.

Computer: I would highly recomend you get a computer that has cadence on it. A catey is pretty inexpensive, and you can sometimes find a good deal on them online or in bike shops. I have a Catey Astraile 8, its a really good computer, cost me $40, and you could probably install it yourself to save some money. One thing about computers though is that many people become slaves to their cycling gizmo's. They cant keep the eye off the heart rate monitor or the computer. Use it for refrence, glance down every once in a while to just check and see how your doin, dont become a slave to it. You may not want to install one for a little while so that you can just enjoy the bike, thats what it's all about anyway.

General Info: I wasnt always blessed with the good people of California. Up untill just four months ago I was livin in Alton Il, and like Texas, your going to find a lot of people who dont like you, just because your on a bike, in spandex, doin what most of them cant do. Keep your cool. When I was in Il, people would try to run me off the road, yell curse words at me when they went by, and throw their beer bottles in the bike lane. I sugest getting some Surfa Tuffy Strips, they help prevent punctures a lot, I havent gotten a flat since installing them 2 years ago. There's a lot of as*holes out there, but its a great sport and tons of fun, dont let others ruin it for you. When you start racing, you'll start meeting more bikers and going on group rides. Nothing feels quite as nice as the double paceline in my opinion. So welcome to the comunity, and the sport, I hope I have answered any questions that you may have, but if you have more, ask away. Peace bro

have u done ne research on training stuff? should i do a race before i start my training to see where i am or is there a program i can start? once i figure this out, i can start riding!

Haven't really researched much material on bike specific training. I am a certified personal trainer and I know what it is I want to do on the bike. For me, I want to use the bike for cardio in conjunction with my weight lifting. My knees are getting tired of running so cycling is what I like to do now. I'm sure there is a lot of info on here concerning training that may already be posted, if not I'm sure someone with real knowledge in this area will chime in. However, from a logical point of view, I think I would ride some bikes, find the one that is right for you. Put some miles on it, get comfortable with it, learn how to use the clipless pedals etc then ride with a group sponsored by you lbs. Once you've are used to riding in a group and are familiar with your bike, then I would try a race and see where you are at. I think that grabbing a bike and entering a race just as a litmus test, would be a mistake in my opinion. As far as what bike to select, I think the one person to make that decision is YOU. I think is is alright to take advice on bikes and get opinions but the decison is yours...Like someone told me on here...Its YOUR money! So, no offense to Rompinrhino, I personally didn't like the Giant bikes. Additionally, the new OCR1 does have Ultegra REAR derailer but a 105 front the rest are house brands. If you look at the 2003 OCR1 it had complete 105 compents from brakes to crank. This year they replaced the crank with truvativ and the brakes are generic.. I had looked at a OCR1 2003 and rode it and was thinking about it but it just didn't appeal to me. Not to mean it may not appeal to everyone else..the call is YOURs...

BOTTOM LINE: In my humble opinon, there are tons of bikes out there that may be right for you. Take a look at the 2004 OCR1 and it's putrid blue color at 1,200 CASH?. Compare that to the Trek 1500, 999.00 any way you pay for it. Also has Ultegra REAR derailer. Lemond Tourmalet - 1,030.00 cash check or charge - 105 CRANK, Ultegra Rear and 105 front. For whatever reason, this year a lot of bike manufactures replaced the cranks and brakes with their own stuff to (in my opinion) to cut costs...

So, when a bike sales person tells you like one guy who tried to sell me on a particular bike "oh this bike has Ultegra" That is great but if he/she is talking about just the Rear derailer and the rest of the components are other levels of shimano or generic then... Well, I'm not AS impressed. Yes, Ultegra is the workhorse of the group, but a rear derailer can be had for 70 bucks. Now an Ultegra Crank now thats big money... I am the type of person who wants the most bang for the buck... I feel that if you shop around ride a lot and do your homework, you can find the perfect bike for you.

Finally: My point is everyone has their own opinions... Just take them in, figure out what you like. For example, I liked the the 105 crank, I preferred the 105 brakes. (If I could have afforded all Ultegra, I would have bought that) Now are some of these other brands as good or better... I don't know, I just went with what I liked. So, thats what you have to do... Don't go get a particular bike because someone says brand X is the best out there... Get the bike that you will want to put lots of miles on and enter in those races you want to participate in...Its YOUR money!

Good luck bro...:D

alright i am heading to bike shop tomorrow to try out some bikes. right now my main interest are the trek 1200 and giant ocr1 bc the upgradability. also i am reading a book on cycling(basically a beginners thing). if i am in good shape should i go with the harder workout they have provided or start out small? tell me what you think about the bikes! thanks