New to Touring and looking start off with a bang.

Big Lowry

Nov 7, 2007
I stumbled across this forum while trying to research touring bikes. I'm new to cycling in general but I am a fitness enthusiast and decided cycling is going to be my next great out door fitness activity. Three of my friends and I are planing to do a tour from New Jersey to California in the span of about 2 months. My problem is that I can't decide on what Bike I should be throwing my money down on.

Today I found a deal on a '04 Sequoia Specialized Elite for $675 US. After reading a number of posts here it seems that this bike really isn't suited for a 2 month tour.

I'm 6 foot 4 inches and about 225 pounds and have no real idea what I'm doing when it comes to bikes. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Check out crazyguyonabike web site, it may give you some ideas.
I personally use a converted mountain bike but realise this is not for everyone.
Things I have read that should be considered given your weight is that Trek and Fugi touring bikes suffer from rear wheel problems, one has weak spokes and the other has weak rims (can't remember which is which).
The Surly long haul trucker might be a place to start looking or if you like aluminium, Cannondale have a couple of options.
How you are going to carry your gear will also need to be considered (Panniers or a Bob style trailer). If you are going to use a Bob you don't need to consider pannier mounts or heel clearance.
I own both panniers and a Bob but prefer the panniers especially in the mountains and gravel roads where I like to tour.
On the other hand most of my touring companions use only Bob trailers and swear by them or haven't tried anything else. This allows them to do some heavy duty mountain biking once the trailer is unhooked at the campsite, whereas my bike is a bit limited on the trails due to the rigid forks and racks etc.

cruisin said:
Check out crazyguyonabike web site, it may give you some ideas.
I personally use a converted mountain bike but realise this is not for everyone.
Things I have read that should be considered given your weight is that Trek and Fugi touring bikes suffer from rear wheel problems, one has weak spokes and the other has weak rims (can't remember which is which).
The Surly long haul trucker might be a place to start looking or if you like aluminium, Cannondale have a couple of options.
How you are going to carry your gear will also need to be considered (Panniers or a Bob style trailer). If you are going to use a Bob you don't need to consider pannier mounts or heel clearance.
I own both panniers and a Bob but prefer the panniers especially in the mountains and gravel roads where I like to tour.
On the other hand most of my touring companions use only Bob trailers and swear by them or haven't tried anything else. This allows them to do some heavy duty mountain biking once the trailer is unhooked at the campsite, whereas my bike is a bit limited on the trails due to the rigid forks and racks etc.

I'm going to be using Panniers and saddle bags for sure.
I've been reading more and more and it seems like if i replace the breaks and the wheels on the SSE it should be able to do the job. I'm worried about me weighing so much and having 50+ pounds of gear on the bike and having it handle. Is a steel frame what I should really be looking for?

Hi, I wouldn't take a lightweight race bike on a fully loaded tour, you might be looking for problems, they just aren't built to carry alot of weight. Don't forget you'll be riding long distances every day. The only ones I've heard about use a trailer (less stress on the frame).
I would consider getting a bike with a longer wheel base(+/-106cm), and wider tyres (35c) for beter comfort. You can check out the geometry of the Trek 520 to get a beter idea. I'm sure the Surley Long Haul Trucker site also has the geometry specs.
The gears also need to be looked at, you can never have low enough gears. We use 42/32/22 with 11-32 eight speed rear. Most have 46 up front.
You also need to look for a good saddle, you will be on it for many hours everyday. My wife and I use Brooks Champion flyer, and can sit on them for 8 hours everyday without a problem.
As for aluminum bikes, don't worry they can handle alot.
If you need any more information don't hasitate :)
cheers

Big Lowry said:
I stumbled across this forum while trying to research touring bikes. I'm new to cycling in general but I am a fitness enthusiast and decided cycling is going to be my next great out door fitness activity. Three of my friends and I are planing to do a tour from New Jersey to California in the span of about 2 months. My problem is that I can't decide on what Bike I should be throwing my money down on.

Today I found a deal on a '04 Sequoia Specialized Elite for $675 US. After reading a number of posts here it seems that this bike really isn't suited for a 2 month tour.

I'm 6 foot 4 inches and about 225 pounds and have no real idea what I'm doing when it comes to bikes. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
Surly Long Haul Trucker is Bike you "should be throwing your money down on."
This may be a good time to shop for one as the "season" has slowed down and the complete bicycle may become available in a shop near you. Get one that is the correct size and ride it a lot to make sure that the bar height, reach, width, etc. is just right for your for loaded touring. A good saddle that fits your sit bones is also important.
Strong tubular steel racks (I use Tubus, but the Surly Nice Racks are good too) and good waterproof panniers are also important. It is a good idea to get the bicycle and gear soon .... and then do some trial runs with full gear (or at least simulated for weight and balance) to see how it will go during the 2 months. Weekend trips will help you sort things out.

Big Lowry said:

Thank you in advance.
Two other thoughts came to me after I sent my first response:
1. Someone who is 6' 4" tall likely has sizeable feet and needs to be especially vigilant about heel clearance to panniers. Longer chain stays, longer rack, and panniers that have a "cut-away" to help with clearing your heels all help. There are some extra fittings that are made to assist in this effort, but if you can avoid "add-ons" by planning and equipment selection you will likely be better off.
2. Fenders are worth considering for yourself and your traveling companions. Rain and other stuff flying off the road just happens. Good fenders with good coverage helps protect you, your equipment and your riding companions. When you select your bicycle, make sure there is room for both fenders and the largest tires that you may ever use.

Thank you all for all the information and help.

I went to 4 seperate bike shops and asked a lot of the same questions to a lot of different people and some of the stuff I found out is:

Finding a Trek 520 actually sitting in a bike shop is impossible.
Finding a Trek 520 with a 25' frame that I could acutally fit on to order is impossible, and I don't want to have to pay frieght to find out I don't really want the bike.
No place within 100 miles deals Surly bikes.

Here is what I'm thinking. I went back and gave the '04 sequia elite another ride and I really like the bike, I fit on it and the price is definatly right at 600 bucks.

I'm going to replace the breaks on it before I get it out the door of the shop and They have some really nice 36 spoke hand made rims that can handle a long ride for 350.

If I put the new rims and breaks on the bike I can't see it not being able to hack it for the long haul and with the heavy duty wheels it should be able to handle the wieght of me and a good amount of gear.

Thats what I'm thinking. I will definatly look into heal clearence sooner then later when I get back to the shop though, thanx for that heads up.

Is there any serious flaw in my plan?

Big Lowry said:
Thank you all for all the information and help.

I went to 4 seperate bike shops and asked a lot of the same questions to a lot of different people and some of the stuff I found out is:

Finding a Trek 520 actually sitting in a bike shop is impossible.
Finding a Trek 520 with a 25' frame that I could acutally fit on to order is impossible, and I don't want to have to pay frieght to find out I don't really want the bike.
No place within 100 miles deals Surly bikes.

Here is what I'm thinking. I went back and gave the '04 sequia elite another ride and I really like the bike, I fit on it and the price is definatly right at 600 bucks.

I'm going to replace the breaks on it before I get it out the door of the shop and They have some really nice 36 spoke hand made rims that can handle a long ride for 350.

If I put the new rims and breaks on the bike I can't see it not being able to hack it for the long haul and with the heavy duty wheels it should be able to handle the wieght of me and a good amount of gear.

Thats what I'm thinking. I will definatly look into heal clearence sooner then later when I get back to the shop though, thanx for that heads up.

Is there any serious flaw in my plan?
Specialized Sequoia Elite isn't a good touring bicycle, especially for a large rider. The Chain Stays are way too short, among other things. A bicycle that rides very well in an unloaded condition dlesn't make it suitable for the task of a 2 month tour, unless you are not carrying a load.
Surly bicycles are available to all shops that deal with QBP. QBP is the largest US distributor so most shops handle them. However, finding a shop that deals with "real touring bicycles" isn't easy in most parts of the country. There is no fad or sizzle in them.I don't know where you are in the state of New Jersey:
City Shop
Cherry Hill ERLTON BICYCLE SHOP
1011 WEST ROUTE 70
CHERRY HILL, NJ 08002
(856)428-2344

Lambertville WHEELFINE/ MICHAEL JOHNSON
639 BRUNSWICK PIKE
LAMBERTVILLE, NJ 08530
(609)397-3403
www.wheelfinebikeshop.com

Monmouth Junction HALTER'S CYCLES
4095 US HIGHWAY #1 SUITE 2
MONMOUTH JUNCTION, NJ 08852

Parsippany CYCLE CRAFT
99 Route 46
Parsippany, NH 07054
(973)227-4462

Tom River BEACON CYCLING & FITNESS
575 FISHER BLVD
TOM RIVER, NJ 08753

Wenonah ACTION WHEELS
1066 RR 45
Wenonah, NJ 08090
(856)468-5115

are some of the NJ shops listed on the Surly web site. If you are close to another state border you may find a closer shop there. I know that "Bikeman" in Maine will ship you a complete bicycle from Maine and have it to you in a couple days. I do suggest that you ride one and deal somewhat locally if you can as getting things "tuned" to your body is much easier for a dealer who can adjust things like stem, bars, and seat (position and sit bone fit). You will be at the same $1,000 mark with this bicycle as you would the Sequoia + $350 wheels... and have a superior solution.
I know that I sound like I have something to gain by "pushing" Surly, but I have no connection to them. I road the Long Haul Trucker for only 1 week and have found it to be by far the best of all bicycles for the task.

daveornee said:
Specialized Sequoia Elite isn't a good touring bicycle, especially for a large rider. The Chain Stays are way too short, among other things. A bicycle that rides very well in an unloaded condition dlesn't make it suitable for the task of a 2 month tour, unless you are not carrying a load.
Surly bicycles are available to all shops that deal with QBP. QBP is the largest US distributor so most shops handle them. However, finding a shop that deals with "real touring bicycles" isn't easy in most parts of the country. There is no fad or sizzle in them.I don't know where you are in the state of New Jersey:
City Shop
Cherry Hill ERLTON BICYCLE SHOP
1011 WEST ROUTE 70
CHERRY HILL, NJ 08002
(856)428-2344

Lambertville WHEELFINE/ MICHAEL JOHNSON
639 BRUNSWICK PIKE
LAMBERTVILLE, NJ 08530
(609)397-3403
www.wheelfinebikeshop.com

Monmouth Junction HALTER'S CYCLES
4095 US HIGHWAY #1 SUITE 2
MONMOUTH JUNCTION, NJ 08852

Parsippany CYCLE CRAFT
99 Route 46
Parsippany, NH 07054
(973)227-4462

Tom River BEACON CYCLING & FITNESS
575 FISHER BLVD
TOM RIVER, NJ 08753

Wenonah ACTION WHEELS
1066 RR 45
Wenonah, NJ 08090
(856)468-5115

are some of the NJ shops listed on the Surly web site. If you are close to another state border you may find a closer shop there. I know that "Bikeman" in Maine will ship you a complete bicycle from Maine and have it to you in a couple days. I do suggest that you ride one and deal somewhat locally if you can as getting things "tuned" to your body is much easier for a dealer who can adjust things like stem, bars, and seat (position and sit bone fit). You will be at the same $1,000 mark with this bicycle as you would the Sequoia + $350 wheels... and have a superior solution.
I know that I sound like I have something to gain by "pushing" Surly, but I have no connection to them. I road the Long Haul Trucker for only 1 week and have found it to be by far the best of all bicycles for the task.

WOW! Trust me when I say I appreciate all this help. I'm actually in Orlando at the moment an will be for the next 7 or 8 months. I checked every shop in florida on the Surly website and there is nothing with in 100 miles.

I'm about to go surf the internet to find out why a short chain stay is a bad thing, but if you could elaborate on that for me I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Alright, so basically what a short chain stay means is that the wheels are too close together to provide a really stable ride?

Big Lowry said:
WOW! Trust me when I say I appreciate all this help. I'm actually in Orlando at the moment an will be for the next 7 or 8 months. I checked every shop in florida on the Surly website and there is nothing with in 100 miles.

I'm about to go surf the internet to find out why a short chain stay is a bad thing, but if you could elaborate on that for me I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Alright, so basically what a short chain stay means is that the wheels are too close together to provide a really stable ride?
Heel clearance, tire clearance, fender clearance, ride stability, and even to a very small degree the changes in chain angle as you go through the gears.
The first 3 are what most people end up suffering from, and the 4th is important too.
OK on the Orlando, FL location. Sorry about the assumption of the NJ location. Your location does have the advantage of getting lots of good riding weather throughout the year. I hope you get things sorted out and can begin enjoying the "practice" trips before the big one. I did a lot of weekend riding to prepare, practice, train, and sort things out before my first transcontinental trip. I started touring 48 years ago, so you know that what is available today is far superior to what was available then. You can make anything work. My first transcontinental loaded tour was on my Schwinn 2 speed that I used to deliver newspapers with. My rack was the same rack that was carrier for the canvas newspaper delivery bags. I started the trip with no pump and just clothes/food/water in the bags + a tent & sleeping bag roped onto the top of the rack. Heel clearance was an issue even then as I found out when I lost some of my food and clothing out the top of my open bags when my heels "clipped" the bags .... it also happened to me many times when I was delivering newspapers.

Front end geometry is also important for stability on a loaded tourer, especially if you are going to use front panniers.

Alright, tomorrow I'm calling a bike shop in Tampa about 100 miles away and if they have a LHT in its biggest size im driving down there and im probably walking out with the damn thing.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Big Lowry said:
Alright, tomorrow I'm calling a bike shop in Tampa about 100 miles away and if they have a LHT in its biggest size im driving down there and im probably walking out with the damn thing.

I'll let you know how it goes.
It appears there is no way I can ride this damn bike with out buying it first because no where has a 62cm one in stock, or any of the other sizes or that matter... I'm stumped.

You can also go for a hybrid. Many people including me have used them for many long distance tours without a problem.
The only problem you should wory about is that if fits right. Check out this site for information about fit before you go to your LBS so you'll have an idea.
Hybrids have some advantages,they are lighweight and if stolen or damaged just go out and get another, and it wont break the bank.
But if you really want a true tourer check out SJS Cycles they are perfect for touring extra long distances and are built to last a lifetime. I've heard the people there are extra helpful and will guide you through the fiting proces.
More on the subject of types of bikes check out this page.
cheers