New to track racing and need gear advice

3perez

Aug 9, 2013
Over the summer I was contemplating on whether to try track racing. I would love to give it a try but have no clue what is a good bike brand to buy on a budget? I have been a road and tri cyclist and the track world is somewhat foreign to me. Any tips to help me get started would be greatly appreciated.

I'd get an Aventon frame if you're on a budget, and for other gear, I'm an advocate of either Sugino75 or Dura Ace components, but the Sugino Messenger line or anything from Miche is also sufficient. Deda, FSA, 3T, Alpina all make great handlebars, stems, and forks.

Get a range of cogs from 13-16t, and a couple of chainrings ranging from 46t to 53t. Gearing choices are quite personal so I won't say definitely do or do not do something, but you'll be glad to have a range. I do most of my riding & racing at 48x14 or 50x14, but this depends on the surface and conditions--96" on a cruddy asphalt surface feels much different than on smooth wood or concrete.

I myself ride a Fuji Track Pro frame on Sugino75 components, Mavic Ellipse wheels (highly recommended!), 140mm 3T stem (stem length takes some trial & error to figure out), Dodici fork--similar to the Alpina one, and 3T Scatto bars, Prologo saddle. I use the Garmin Vector for pedals, and race on Speedplay Zero Track Specials. The Izumi chain is worth it, as well.

Originally Posted by bradg
I'd get an Aventon frame if you're on a budget, and for other gear, I'm an advocate of either Sugino75 or Dura Ace components, but the Sugino Messenger line or anything from Miche is also sufficient. Deda, FSA, 3T, Alpina all make great handlebars, stems, and forks.
Do you know much about the Aventon frames? Looking at the Mataro for first bike, but can't find any reviews or info.

Cheers
H

I do not have personal experience with the Aventon frames, but many of the local racers (Penrose Park Velodrome) ride them. St. Louis has a big Wolfpack Hustle group--cycling enthusiasts who live in the city, many on fixed gears--and they do a fair amount of underground/unsanctioned races like the Red Hook Crit on the higher end and numerous activities locally, and are close with the LA contingent of the Wolfpack Hustle, and Aventon is one of their sponsors. So, you're seeing more people on them now.

However, if you're still not sure, looking into any of the All City frames as well. I've enjoyed my Fuji, but it's an integrated seat post, which has drawbacks. You shouldn't need to spend more than $300 for a solid frame though. Where would you be racing?

when you're on a budget yet to be careful because sometimes the bikes that are available may look shiny and they may look good but they're not necessarily quality. You might be our $200 budget of run into a decent looking bike realistically that bike should probably be $100.