New to training/racing

Miscreant

Dec 3, 2007
Hello everyone im new to the forums.

I'm only 18 but i've been riding all my life, never really seriously(as in wanting to race) until just 4 months ago. I used to run track/xc in High School, and went to State Quals (LongIsland,NY not so easy) all four years. So i am by no means in bad shape or unathletic.

I really want to start racing once it gets nicer out. I've been trying to read some threads to get an idea of what i should be doing for training but its all very confusing for me. I am familiar with alot of terms from running, but all the abreviations and actual cycling specific (mostly power related) terms dont mean anything to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only real way right now that i have to measure power are the pretty lame stationaries at my school. I could easily get a power meter for my bike, and use it infront of my TV, but i spend alot of time at school in between classes, like 40min, so why waste it?

I know its a pretty general question, and not an easy one. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need a power meter to train effectively. You might want to start by getting a heartrate monitor and a copy of Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible which should be available at most local bookstores.

The intervals in cycling, whether measured by power, heartrate or perceived exertion, are similar to the intervals in running. The only difference is that cycling intervals are generally based upon time as opposed to distance.

The main difference between bike racing and running races is that cycling tends to be much more about the ability to accellerate repeatedly. So, you will find that you have to taylor your training to incorporate sprinting much more than you would as a middle distance runner.

I also recommend joining a team as soon as possible. You can find one here: http://www.usacycling.org/clubs/

Good luck ad let us know how it works out.

Like Frigo said, join up with a team or at least get on with the local racers asap.

This is my list of importance for the new racer.

#1 Technique - become one with the bike
#2 Tactics - understand that the very fittest rider still rarely wins
#3 Training - I feel fitness is just a byproduct of getting out there and doing it often, with every group of anybody's you can find.

Get out and make your own luck. The more you try, the more chances you have to do well.

YMCA said:
... #3 Training - I feel fitness is just a byproduct of getting out there and doing it often, with every group of anybody's you can find....
Maybe at the very beginning, just getting out there and riding with fast groups might be all you need, but in the long run there's a lot more to training than just riding a lot and riding with others.

The single best thing I've done for my racing is to limit the number of group rides(they're a really good idea for new riders for bike handling alone) and to do more solo training. Personally a PM has helped a lot in terms of guiding that solo training and helping me to identify and work on strengths and weaknesses but in the end it's the training and not the metrics that makes you fitter.

Sure for someone just starting out a lot of group rides is a great suggestion, but as a lot of folks have observed group riding and even racing is often not the best training.

YMMV,
-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Maybe at the very beginning, just getting out there and riding with fast groups might be all you need, but in the long run there's a lot more to training than just riding a lot and riding with others.

The single best thing I've done for my racing is to limit the number of group rides(they're a really good idea for new riders for bike handling alone) and to do more solo training. Personally a PM has helped a lot in terms of guiding that solo training and helping me to identify and work on strengths and weaknesses but in the end it's the training and not the metrics that makes you fitter.

Sure for someone just starting out a lot of group rides is a great suggestion, but as a lot of folks have observed group riding and even racing is often not the best training.

YMMV,
-Dave
But we are talking to someone who is brand new. I feel anyone in their first couple years should do nothing but soak in every race and group they can find, then if they wish, move on to specific stuff. Keep it simple, you know?

YMCA said:
But we are talking to someone who is brand new. I feel anyone in their first couple years should do nothing but soak in every race and group they can find, then if they wish, move on to specific stuff. Keep it simple, you know?
I think it matters how dedicated the person willing to be. Though racing if the person enjoys it might help them from getting tiried of all the training times they need to put on the bike.

There always training with a partner of similar skill level. Keeps you entertained and helps you stay motivated.

Remember you will only get out what you are willing to put in. Talent will only carry you so far.

Oh trust me, i know that from Track... The only thing i really need is to find some riders in my area that are at least within my age range. I've found some of the clubs around here before on rides, mostly middle aged guys, and i just blow by them on the hills.:rolleyes:

Miscreant said:
Oh trust me, i know that from Track... The only thing i really need is to find some riders in my area that are at least within my age range. I've found some of the clubs around here before on rides, mostly middle aged guys, and i just blow by them on the hills.:rolleyes:
Don't put all middle aged guys into the same category, there are many old guys who could blow you away without even trying. I'm heading towards 66 and you're welcome to come to Japan anytime and try your luck. :mad: Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
Don't put all middle aged guys into the same category, there are many old guys who could blow you away without even trying. I'm heading towards 66 and you're welcome to come to Japan anytime and try your luck. :mad: Tyson
haha i know, i work at a bike shop and theres quite a few older guys around your age that are BEASTS, unfourtaintly, i never see them on the road :(

Miscreant said:
haha i know, i work at a bike shop and theres quite a few older guys around your age that are BEASTS, unfourtaintly, i never see them on the road :(
You need to take along a telescope to catch a glimpse of their back tires. :D Tyson