New to UK: Infant seats...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Angus, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Angus

    Angus Guest

    Hello all,

    First off, I am not a cyclist myself, but my wife is Chinese and that thinks life without a bicycle
    is like life without her left leg! We have recently moved to the UK from Beijing and now have a 3
    month old daughter.

    Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)

    The questions are: Is this legal in the UK? If so, are there any restrictions / requirements for
    carrying an infant?

    If you can help, please feel free to reply directly to my email as I'm sure the group does not want
    such trivial postings cluttering up their message downloads.

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Angus & Zhu Cong Ping (and Siobhan)

    Tags:

  2. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:55:18 +0000 (UTC), "Angus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >First off, I am not a cyclist myself, but my wife is Chinese and that thinks life without a bicycle
    >is like life without her left leg! We have recently moved to the UK from Beijing and now have a 3
    >month old daughter.
    >
    >Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    >leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)
    >
    >The questions are: Is this legal in the UK?

    Yes.

    >If so, are there any restrictions / requirements for carrying an infant?

    I don't think there are any legal restrictions but common sense suggests that your daughter should
    be capable of holding her head up. It's 10 years since we had one that young in the house, so I
    couldn't say where a 3 month old is on the development milestone thing.

    Any decent bike shop. There are some good designs around these days - Rhode Gear Shuttle and Limo
    (?) get good reviews. Four point harness, easy detatchability from the host bike, solid construction
    and so on.

    >If you can help, please feel free to reply directly to my email as I'm sure the group does not want
    >such trivial postings cluttering up their message downloads.

    That's what newsgroups are for. And it's not a trivial posting on two counts (1) it's about cycling
    (2) it's about getting your daughter cycling.

    Tim

  3. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:21:33 +0000, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any decent bike shop. There are some good designs around these days - Rhode Gear Shuttle and Limo
    >(?) get good reviews. Four point harness, easy detatchability from the host bike, solid
    >construction and so on.

    I don't have children, so know bugger all about the pros and cons of different seats for them, but
    noticed today that EBC have one in their latest special offers with a tenner off:

    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/specialoffers.cfm

    Not actually sure if this is a good price or not but I'm sure you can do some shopping around.

    Bob

  4. >Hello all,

    >First off, I am not a cyclist myself, but my wife is Chinese and that thinks life without a bicycle
    >is like life without her left leg! We have recently moved to the UK from Beijing and now have a 3
    >month old daughter.

    Congratulations! May your daughter have a long, happy, healthy and prosperous life. I hope your wife
    settles into UK life and makes lots of friends.

    >Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    >leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)
    >
    >The questions are: Is this legal in the UK?

    Yes.

    >If so, are there any restrictions / requirements for carrying an infant?

    Not sure about legal requirements, but basically the infant needs to be capable of holding his/her
    head up on own.

    Halfords ... local bike shops ... Argos ... they are quite widely available.

    >If you can help, please feel free to reply directly to my email as I'm sure the group does not want
    >such trivial postings cluttering up their message downloads.

    Nothing trivial about posting :) This is, on the whole, a friendly bunch on the newsgroup and if you
    are interested in cycling I'm sure you'll be made welcome
    :)

    As well as considering a child seat, consider a trailer see http://www.burley.com/

    When my son was a wee one (he's now 14) I used a child seat mounted behind my saddle as a mode of
    transport for him - it was great and I had no problems with it or with him in it, but if I could
    have afforded it at the time, I think I would have preferred a trailer such as those done by
    Burley. Back in the dim and distant aeons when my son was wee, the trailers were harder to come by
    than they are now.

    >Many thanks in advance for your help.

    Most welcome.

    >Angus & Zhu Cong Ping (and Siobhan)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    "Angus" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > First off, I am not a cyclist myself, but my wife is Chinese and that thinks life without a
    > bicycle is like life without her left leg! We have recently moved to the UK from Beijing and now
    > have a 3 month old daughter.
    >
    > Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    > leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)
    >
    > The questions are: Is this legal in the UK? If so, are there any restrictions / requirements for
    > carrying an infant?

    There are no specifc legal requirements or such seats. There is legislation regarding the carrying
    of passengers on bikes - basically the bike must be "properly adapted" for so doing. Child seats are
    generally fine.

    Having said that a 3 month old is probably too small to use most of the seats on the market - babies
    need to be able to properly support their own heads for seats where they're sitting upright; which
    is not normally the case at three months.

    I used to use a car baby seat fixed into a cycle trailer when my kids were that small.

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Angus wrote:
    > If you can help, please feel free to reply directly to my email as I'm sure the group does not
    > want such trivial postings cluttering up their message downloads.

    Hi Angus. Your questions are more important and less trivial than most of the stuff that gets posted
    here! Better information is obtained when replies are posted in public because points can be
    discussed and corrected, and it saves people going to the trouble of researching and replying when
    all their points have already been made by someone else.

    Sorry I can't help with child seats.

    ~PB

  7. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    [posted and mailed]

    "Angus" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    > leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)

    I have a 21 month old and have been taking her on our bikes on and off since she was about 4 months.
    Initially we used the Dutch Babybike:

    http://www1.tip.nl/~t005974/babybike.html

    This seems to have changed a bit since I bought one. It's not cheap (you might be able to get a
    second hand one - mine might be for sale, but I'll have to see what condition it is in first).

    After that we've used the Rhode Gear Limo, e.g:

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=4000000058

    Another option is a trailer. I've not used one, but there are plenty of people on this
    newsgroup who have.

    > The questions are: Is this legal in the UK? If so, are there any restrictions / requirements for
    > carrying an

    See the links above. Harlow has, I think, just the big Halfords on Edinburgh Way for bikes and
    accessories now.

    Toby

    PS. I'll give your wife a wave if I see her - I'm usually cycling through Harlow early morning and
    late afternoon on my way to and from work.

  8. Something I forgot - if you are thinking of getting the wee one a helmet to wear, have a look at the
    Hampshire County Council online road safety shop website - it has a specifically designed infant &
    toddler helmet available

    http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/RoadSafetyOnline/products/product-74149.stm

    Only £5.00 :)

    Best wishes, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Angus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Basically we want to fit an infant seat so that she can ditch the pushchair whenever she wants to
    > leave the house with the baby during the day. (Every mother in China has one........)

    Angus, you might also want to consider a trailer for Siobhan. Have a look at a previous thread in
    this newsgroup by following this link:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q267517E3

    ... which should give you the same result as following this one:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&threadm=28a434a0.0302060219.4dce4b0e%40po-
    sting.google.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dtrailer%2Bchi-
    ld%26meta%3Dgroup%253Duk.rec.cycling

    --
    Dave...

  10. Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote
    > Having said that a 3 month old is probably too small to use most of the seats on the market -
    > babies need to be able to properly support their own heads for seats where they're sitting
    > upright; which is not normally the case at three months.
    >
    > I used to use a car baby seat fixed into a cycle trailer when my kids were that small.

    Yes indeed. Our Ellen (now 10 days old) has a Burley child trailer waiting for her in the garage,
    and a car seat in the car. When I'm able to cycle (they suggest waiting at least 6 weeks after a
    Cesarean to ride a bike, also the carpal tunnel syndrome that stopped me from riding my bike three
    weeks before Ellen was due is still with me) the baby car seat will be strapped into the trailer and
    we'll go for short rides with her.

    -Myra

  11. Al

    Al Guest

    Toby Barrett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > After that we've used the Rhode Gear Limo, e.g:
    >
    > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=4000000058

    I managed to buy one of these secondhand for GBP20 and they are excellent. Easy to fit / remove (I
    take it off my bike for my daily commute) and REALLY sturdy. You can tell the difference between
    these and GBP20 to GBP45 seats. My 2.5 year old loves but now she insists on wearing her pink helmet
    on her trike :)

    Al