New to WKO+, help needed!

J-V

Nov 3, 2003
Yes, I've scoured the FAQs, User 'Manual' (term used loosely), and spent hours digging through CyclingForums.com. Although I solved many problems for myself, I still have a few lingering questions about the day-to-day usage of WKO+. I'm using on a Mac via VMWare Fusion2, which is working very well. If any of you experts out there could lead me down the path toward some light at the end of the tunnel, it would be much appreciated. ;)

Anyway, my specific questions:

1) In Calendar view, is there any way to customize the data fields, i.e. add columns for miles, ascent, avg speed, etc.? I sure can't find any way to alter this overall view of the training data.

2) Is there any way for a date range to be saved as a default? (i.e. always open to a custom date like 1/1/2008 to present, blanks hidden)

3) When viewing the Summary of all recent data, is there no way to alter the time period for which the monthly data are shown? Is there no way to re-size this box horizontally so that you can actually see all/most of the data?

4) In Journal view, when I altered the PMC graph, it now no longer shows a 'thumbnail' preview in the small window. When I double-click it and open it, my changes are saved, but there is no longer any preview (typically it seems to occur when there is a full year's worth of data). Is this a known bug?

5) I saved a custom 'View' with some customized charts in it. Can I change the name of this view, or can I delete any of the 'canned' views that are shown as a default?

6) Is there any way to customize the list of Sports (i.e. I'd like to have a 'stairs' and 'trainer' category, for example)?

7) In Graph view (or any other, for that matter), is there no effective way of accessing/using the altitude data (Polar CS600)? I see the climb data for each recorded interval in the lower left, but it seems like there is a plethora of potential data analysis that could be done with slope data, i.e. speed (or watts, or cadence) produced compared to gradient, etc. Such analysis could be quite useful, and the data is all there, it just appears it's not being utilized for anything other than the graphical profile. At the very least I'd love to track how many feet I've climbed each week.

8) When making changes to many workout files, when I go to close the program I have to repeatedly click through the "Do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. Am I missing something, or should there simply be a "save all changes" checkbox? I do realize I can 'Save' after each file is altered, but it doesn't decrease the number of clicks-per-change.

9) Just a statement I guess, but I sure wish Quadrant Analysis were integrated into the program. Seems a natural and relatively painless feature, given how robust the program already is.

Anyway, thanks a ton in advance for helping me through some of the growing pains of integrating this new (to me) approach into my power training.

-J\V

J\V said:
...2) Is there any way for a date range to be saved as a default? (i.e. always open to a custom date like 1/1/2008 to present, blanks hidden)...
Sounds like you haven't set a season start and end date. Click on those boxes on the athlete's home page and they turn into date entry fields with a clickable pop up calendar. Set a start and end date to your season, then on your Calendar page select "This Season" for date range to display and you won't have to see all the blank slots representing dates before you had power data.

4) In Journal view, when I altered the PMC graph, it now no longer shows a 'thumbnail' preview in the small window. When I double-click it and open it, my changes are saved, but there is no longer any preview (typically it seems to occur when there is a full year's worth of data). Is this a known bug?
IIRC, that's an artifact of not setting a season date and or some processors struggling to show a lot of data on the PMC. I had a similar problem when I tried to display a "thumbnail" PMC with all three plus years of power data. I have no problem displaying up to a seasons worth of data in both "thumbnail" and enlarged version but only view multiple years worth of data on demand as an enlarged graph. There are also some funny chart resizing things (the margins get really large and the chart becomes really narrow) that happen when I try to go back more than two years. It's annoying but I can work around it by dragging borders and manually resizing margins.
...8) When making changes to many workout files, when I go to close the program I have to repeatedly click through the "Do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. Am I missing something, or should there simply be a "save all changes" checkbox? I do realize I can 'Save' after each file is altered, but it doesn't decrease the number of clicks-per-change....
I don't know of any "save all changes" or "autosave" features, but Ctrl-S is quick and painless and what I do reflexively after uploading a workout and entering journal text.

...9) Just a statement I guess, but I sure wish Quadrant Analysis were integrated into the program. Seems a natural and relatively painless feature, given how robust the program already is...
Agreed!

Good luck,
-Dave

Thanks for the input Dave, I really appreciate it.

I actually have set dates in the beginning and end of season fields, so not sure what's going on. It definitely defaults to 'blanks not hidden' no matter what I've tried.

-Jeff

Anyone else on the other questions? I'd especially like to know about adding columns, i.e. more than just TSS and IF data in the Calendar view.

Thanks!

J\V said:
1) In Calendar view, is there any way to customize the data fields, i.e. add columns for miles, ascent, avg speed, etc.? I sure can't find any way to alter this overall view of the training data.
Not that I'm aware of. New software revs come out from time to time, and I think that'd be a good change to suggest. Maybe an e-mail to the customer support group at Training Peaks.

J\V said:
3) When viewing the Summary of all recent data, is there no way to alter the time period for which the monthly data are shown? Is there no way to re-size this box horizontally so that you can actually see all/most of the data?
Pretty sure mine goes all the way across the screen. Try setting the window size for that chart to "Large" in the options pulldown.

J\V said:
8) When making changes to many workout files, when I go to close the program I have to repeatedly click through the "Do you want to save your changes?" dialog box. Am I missing something, or should there simply be a "save all changes" checkbox? I do realize I can 'Save' after each file is altered, but it doesn't decrease the number of clicks-per-change.
One 'Save' click per modified file seems to be the norm for most Windows apps... not sure about Macs. As I've gotten more systematic in my data entry, I typically enter all my notes into the file immediately after download, hit save, then close the file. It would be very rare for me (at this point) to go back and make changes to a group of several files at once. Maybe you'll find that a 'Save All Changes' command becomes less necessary as your preferences for data entry settle.

J\V said:
9) Just a statement I guess, but I sure wish Quadrant Analysis were integrated into the program. Seems a natural and relatively painless feature, given how robust the program already is.
Are you using the Excel spreadsheet which automatically does the QA from a workout .csv? I thought it was pretty nice of them to create that file for free download, but I'm not sure how I would incorporate it into the WKO+ tools. Show the shotgun blast as a separate graph for each ride file, I guess?