New top speed...

redandblack

Apr 21, 2003
So, I went biking last night in Kennedy park (local walking/biking trails), and had a great time....tons of bikers there, and loads of mosquitos. So, getting to the point, when I was riding back down the hill toward my ride home, I clicked into 21st gear, and floored it. I looked down @ my speedometer, and saw the big letters saying 30 MPH. I was pumped 'cause that's my top speed so far. So, when I got off my bike, I checked the Max Velocity for my ride and it said 33 MPH. w00t!!!

New top speed, awesome ride..cannot beat that. :D

hey dude....thats pretty good. on my mountain bike, out in the country last year (on bike camp, btw) near the Myrtleford/Beechworth area, I came down the hill at a top of 69km/h....man that was fun. bike camp is real awesome too, part of my school activities...

way back in '94 a mate and I were touring the states racing the norba and world cup scene. After the Mamoth round of the wourd cup we hooked up our 63 tooth chain rings to a hard tail and motor paced behind our motor home. somewhere in utah or arizona we found a road with a 8% gradient and just let it rip. we both hit speeds of about 140kms man that felt fast. A while later we took it up a notch and put on our inline skates and did the same but only hit about 100kms.

Top speed on the Tandem between Graskop and Sabie in Mpumalanga in the good old R of SA on the downhill from the Bonnet to the Mac-Mac Falls we clocked 98km/h....scary stuff but what a high!!!!!!!

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!!

Big H

On my old racing bike I used to tear down a particular hill here in Adelaide and hit speeds of around 90-92km/hr (it was a challenge - the hill itself is quite short yet steep, you tear down as %^&#$ fast as you can then slam on the brakes as hard as possible in order to stop in time for the major intersection at the bottom!).

On my mountain bike, however, tearing full pelt along a regular road with a minor slope I've only achieved a max of 62.5km/hr thus far - but with the gear ratio of my bike there's no way in hell I could possibly ride the thing faster, I'd need a hill.

Strangely I don't feel as safe tearing at high speed on my mountain bike as I did on my old racing bike... :confused:

Got a hill in Pretoria on my "Hill" training route with a nice shortish downhill. Got to the top one time and a roadie passed me near the top going up, I tucked my mountain bike (with slicks I have to add) in behind him and we pulled each other down swopping the lead all the way down and I clocked 87 km/h. I enjoyed it so much I missed my turn off at the bottom and had to take a detour through the centre of town. It was so much fun going down there at that speed I didn't even mind going through town.
Previous top speed was between Lydenburgh and Sabie (sounds like you know the area Big H) just past the Long Tom cannon, I clocked 83 km/h.

Mine is 84kmh/ down Hekpoort during the Wilro 100 and 87 down Doreen Drive in Ruimsig on a training ride.

I matched my top speed of 33 MPH. I just cannot seem to beat it. I just run out of gears. (21 speed). Any suggestions on how to increase my speed without modding my bike?

I think one of the reasons why I cannot get up speed and keep it is because at every downhill, theres a sharp corner after it.

am i the only one having trouble reaching 25mph?? but i'm in the city and the raod is downhill but only 300 metres long. 21gears but i'm only on 24's!! i find they're easier to ride with in the city.

Originally posted by rudeboymcc
am i the only one having trouble reaching 25mph?? but i'm in the city and the raod is downhill but only 300 metres long. 21gears but i'm only on 24's!! i find they're easier to ride with in the city.

maybe the hill isn't steep enough? my problem is that basically every hill around my area either ends in a sharp left or sharp right corner, so I have to slow down halfway down the hill. I usually can pick up 20 MPH on the flats, 10 MPH uphill. I recently got a speed of 35 MPH downhill (very steep hill).

the problem with the hill i' musing is that there's a T junction on the bottom and it's a busy road so if i do cross it i'll probably be hit. if i'm "lucky", and don't get hit, the brick wall will soften the crash...

I recently had 80.6 kmh out of my Claud Butler Milano and 78kmh from my Gary Fisher S3D, I am planning to go over 100kmh later this year.

I can't break 87kph on a hill outside Newcastle.
Try different sitting positions.
Best way to go faster in to mod your bike.- Better Hubs make a large difference, weight in your tyres, specifc bike shoes and pedals, and your gearing naturaly.

In '93 or '94 I rode in the Elephant Rock ride in Castle Rock, Cololrado. Coming down a hill toward the end of the course, I hit 43 mph on my MTB......what a rush!

alot of people can bull**** really good.........

but anyway i hit 83.6km/h dow a fire road at thredbo and i nere **** myself bloody roadies think over 100 is fast do half that on dirt and you know how fast, fast really is.....

try putting your chin down to the handle bars leaning forward while sitting on the seat if you know what i mean? usually works for me. anyway went out on the bike today and get this..looking at my speedometer(what ever) my average speed was 43.1mph over 15miles and my top was 174.4!! either im the fastest bloke on a mountain bike ever or my unit is playing up?? mmmm what do you think it could be? lol. anyway the fastest i've been is 47.4 or very close to that a while ago with a different unit.theres always ways to go faster you just got to find them:rolleyes:

Did a 83.2 KM/h (52mp/h) in SA Baberton in 2001. It was down a gravel mountain pass.

Last week did a 74km/h (46mp/h) riding home from work, and I hit a broken bottle. Let me tell you it is no fun to control the bike at that speeds. Almost killed myself.

Wouldn't call it a hill, a slight decline is more fitting. (I live on the flats out the country) Can only hit 62km/h on my old piece of fooley. Probably becuase it weighs half a ton ringing wet. Wouldn't trust it any faster. But i can keep up with my brother when he's on a roadie, so it's still something.