New Topeak pump.

FastFly

May 14, 2005
I just bought a brand new last season Topeak Joe Blow Max pump.

I am trying to pump up my Presta valved tires but I am having difficulty.

I am unsure how to secure the pump onto the valve as to not lose air when I pump.

Please help a noob :(

FastFly said:

I am unsure how to secure the pump onto the valve as to not lose air when I pump.

Did it come with directions?
Looks like a twin-head pump, not a smart head.
Look for loose fittings near the valve head, where the hose attaches to the head, and where the plunger goes into the pump tube.

I have the Joe Blow Pro with the SmartHead, so what I found with mine might or might not apply if you have the TwinHead. But, with the SmartHead there is a knurled metal adjustment ring on the outside of the head. Tightening it compresses a rubber cylinder inside the head and makes it grip the valve stem more tightly. If the TwinHead has this, and if your problem is leaking air when you attach the head to the stem, tighten the ring.

Another quirk of the smart head is that if you push it on too far, the pin in the head will not push in and open the valve stem actuator when you raise the lever. The pump will just pressurize its own hose as you pump against the closed valve stem, and not inflate the tube. Neither Topeak nor Performance Bike shop could help me when I described the symptom. But, if you have leaking air, this is not your problem.

Chero

FastFly said:

Hi, ff.
See if this link helps.

http://trigearreview.com/forms/Article.aspx?REVID=175

If not, can you take a picture of the type of head that your pump has, and post it?

FastFly said:

I have a Joe Blow Turbo. When I first got the pump, i was a bit stupified as well. The lever on the head is counter intuitive. With the lever pushed down on the head, you put it on the valve, then you pull the lever up in order to get the seal around the valve. it is backwards from what you would think.

This is what the lever should look like when it is on the valve

laffingbilly said:
I have a Joe Blow Turbo. When I first got the pump, i was a bit stupified as well. The lever on the head is counter intuitive. With the lever pushed down on the head, you put it on the valve, then you pull the lever up in order to get the seal around the valve. it is backwards from what you would think.

This is what the lever should look like when it is on the valve

Thank you all for your very nice replies.

It was weird because there was no lever. Instead, they had the whole head install become the lever and you turn the whole head to lock. Very confusing but it works very well now.