New tourer -- built by?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Big Baguett, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
    camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but some
    of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.

    I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that feels
    great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is never far
    below the surface. It all says custom build.

    OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

    --
    The Big Baguette

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
    > camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
    > some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
    >
    > I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    > feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    > never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >
    > OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

    Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of kit
    (at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.

    For the bike -- its up to you. A Galaxy is nice and will handle most of what you suggest. A
    hybrid would do it nicely too. In fact, pretty much anything that you can fit a rack to can be
    used for touring.

    Get what is going to be comfortable to ride.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

    >"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
    >> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
    >> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
    >>
    >> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    >> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >>
    >> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    >
    >Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of
    >kit (at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.
    >
    >For the bike -- its up to you. A Galaxy is nice and will handle most of what you suggest. A
    >hybrid would do it nicely too. In fact, pretty much anything that you can fit a rack to can be
    >used for touring.
    >
    >Get what is going to be comfortable to ride.

    I'm going to be appallingly vulgar here (never difficult for me). I don't want a Galaxy, because
    other people have them. I want something where the maker's final act will be to paint 'Baggy' where
    'Dawes' would otherwise go. I want something custom built for me alone. That's the question: who
    makes really good custom-built bikes that are absolute one-offs?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is never
    >far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >
    >OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

    Simple. You want a Roberts.

    http://www.robertscycles.com/

    Bob

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
    >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >>
    >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    >
    >Simple. You want a Roberts.
    >
    >http://www.robertscycles.com/

    Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
    > >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    > >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    > >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    > >>
    > >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    > >
    > >Simple. You want a Roberts.
    > >
    > >http://www.robertscycles.com/
    > >

    > Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?

    Yep - and so does SWMBO (it was how I managed to get mine - sell the idea to her first). Mine is an
    audax style machine - custom built to measurements taken at their workshop. It gives a superb ride.
    Finish and attention to detail cannot be faulted. I did the E2E on mine last year and not one
    mechanical and hardly an ache anywhere.

    However, one drawback is that it took a long time for me to move it from the sitting room to the
    garage, and several months before I took it out in the rain.

    IMO Roberts, both for service during the ordering, and in quality of build, cannot be beaten.

    ...and they build in steel ;-) <ducks>

    John B

  7. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes

    >"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
    >> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
    >> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
    >>
    >> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    >> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >>
    >> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    >
    >Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of
    >kit (at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.

    Well, if it's just a bit of kit, then I would try and fit it in a saddle bag (a Camper longflap can
    hold a goodly amount).

    Fit the saddlebag with an SQR fitting and then no need for a rack most of the time.

    Not had a frame made by them, but Bob Jackson in Leeds seem to do a good job and have been helpful
    when I've used them:

    <http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/>
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  8. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
    >>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue,
    >>
    >>Simple. You want a Roberts.
    >>
    >>http://www.robertscycles.com/
    >>

    >Thank you. I shall contact Roberts.

    Hmmm, don't you think that Roberts is a bit to common?

    I mean they have big coloured ads in the mags.

    Surely want something just a bit select.... :)
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  9. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:18:10 +0000, The Big Baguette wrote:

    >>> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >>> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    >>> never far below the surface. It all says ....

    Windcheetah!

    If you do get one can I have a go please?

    Mike

  10. Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>

    > In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
    > >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    > >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    > >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    > >>
    > >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    > >
    > >Simple. You want a Roberts.
    > >
    > >http://www.robertscycles.com/
    > >

    > Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?

    I don't but my Edgware CTC clubmates do. They love them and have replaced Roberts bicycles with more
    Roberts bicycles.

    You might also consider St John Street Cycles.

  11. The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    > feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    > never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >
    > OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

    King of Mercia? or just the frame and build it yourself?

    http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/pages/complete_bikes.htm

    Bloke on a bike (The biker at the gates of dawn)

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm going to be appallingly vulgar here (never difficult for me). I don't want a Galaxy, because
    > other people have them. I want something where the maker's final act will be to paint 'Baggy'
    > where 'Dawes' would otherwise go. I want something custom built for me alone. That's the question:
    > who makes really good custom-built bikes that are absolute one-offs?

    Well stuff you then. I like my Galaxy -- but then, I'm common.

    The guys at Thorn will tell you what you want (rather than listen to you). People like Roberts
    will be OK.

    Yates may be willing to do a nice frame.

    Of course there is always the Dark Side --- AHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGG

  13. > You might also consider St John Street Cycles.

    No.

    Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.

    What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but a
    fool and his money are easily parted.....

  14. Thus spake "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]>

    > > You might also consider St John Street Cycles.
    > >
    > No.

    > Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.

    Your friends seem less lucky than mine. My friend has had a Thorn Audax for 6 years and has had
    little trouble. He has done a lot of Audax rides on it.

    > What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but
    > a fool and his money are easily parted.....

    A while ago, I did a 'downhill' type race. The bicycles that fared the worst were all Dawes...

  15. In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette wrote:

    >> >Simple. You want a Roberts.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.robertscycles.com/
    >> >

    >> Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?
    >
    >Yep - and so does SWMBO (it was how I managed to get mine - sell the idea to her first). Mine is an
    >audax style machine - custom built to measurements taken at their workshop. It gives a superb ride.
    >Finish and attention to detail cannot be faulted. I did the E2E on mine last year and not one
    >mechanical and hardly an ache anywhere.
    >
    >However, one drawback is that it took a long time for me to move it from the sitting room to the
    >garage, and several months before I took it out in the rain.

    This sounds like my machine. I suspect I must have one.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  16. In article <[email protected]>, chris French <newspost- [email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes

    >>>Simple. You want a Roberts.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.robertscycles.com/
    >>>

    >>Thank you. I shall contact Roberts.
    >
    >Hmmm, don't you think that Roberts is a bit to common?
    >
    > I mean they have big coloured ads in the mags.
    >
    >Surely want something just a bit select.... :)

    No, no. As long as I can get my name painted on the frame, I'll be happy. I mean, the truly select
    way would be to go for someone who's never made a frame before -- and that wouldn't be sensible,
    now would it?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
    <[email protected]> writes

    >> You might also consider St John Street Cycles.
    >>
    >No.
    >
    >Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.
    >
    >What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but a
    >fool and his money are easily parted.....

    Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  18. In article <[email protected]>, Bloke on a bike
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<q7NcaLAYTjc+Ew2
    >[email protected]>...
    >>
    >> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
    >> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
    >> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
    >>
    >> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
    >
    >King of Mercia? or just the frame and build it yourself?

    Build it myself? Are you out of your tree? I want to be riding it this year, not next. I could think
    about buying the frame and getting my LBS to build the bike, I suppose. Anyone in a position to
    compare the King of Mercia tourer with a Roberts?

    >http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/pages/complete_bikes.htm
    >
    >Bloke on a bike (The biker at the gates of dawn)

    --
    The Big Baguette

  19. Peter Heys

    Peter Heys Guest

    If you want "exclusive" George Longstaff has been building for 21 years this year and he`s making 21
    anniversary frames (whatever you want ie tourer, audax , racer etc) for the select few with the
    necessary folding!....

  20. > Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
    > --
    > The Big Baguette

    Oh,

    so we're adopting the condescending Englisman tone here, that which has you the most beloved race in
    the world, not least in the northern part of the island you inhabit? It is of course only a minority
    who thus behave, but it is they who besmirch the whole race in the eyes of others.

    is ag casadh ar an mórchúis atáimíd anois, nós Sasanach gur chúis leis an dímheas atá ag cách
    oraibh, agus ní lú ná mar atá thar teorainn ó thuaidh id thír féin. Mionlach a tharraingíonn síos an
    móramh i súilibh an domhain.

    This you large breastick is Irish, the first written language in the West of Europe, which was being
    written when your ancestors were sharing wives and painting themselves blue, while mine were
    attempting to educate them, an attempt the results of which were obviously not lasting.