New tourer -- built by?



Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but some
of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.

I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that feels
great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is never far
below the surface. It all says custom build.

OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

--
The Big Baguette
 
T

Tony W

Guest
"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
>
> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>
> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of kit
(at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.

For the bike -- its up to you. A Galaxy is nice and will handle most of what you suggest. A
hybrid would do it nicely too. In fact, pretty much anything that you can fit a rack to can be
used for touring.

Get what is going to be comfortable to ride.

T
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
>
>"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
>> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
>> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
>>
>> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>>
>> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>
>Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of
>kit (at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.
>
>For the bike -- its up to you. A Galaxy is nice and will handle most of what you suggest. A
>hybrid would do it nicely too. In fact, pretty much anything that you can fit a rack to can be
>used for touring.
>
>Get what is going to be comfortable to ride.
>
I'm going to be appallingly vulgar here (never difficult for me). I don't want a Galaxy, because
other people have them. I want something where the maker's final act will be to paint 'Baggy' where
'Dawes' would otherwise go. I want something custom built for me alone. That's the question: who
makes really good custom-built bikes that are absolute one-offs?
--
The Big Baguette
 
C

Call Me Bob

Guest
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is never
>far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>
>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

Simple. You want a Roberts.

http://www.robertscycles.com/

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>>
>>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>
>Simple. You want a Roberts.
>
>http://www.robertscycles.com/
>
>
Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?
--
The Big Baguette
 
J

John B

Guest
The Big Baguette wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
> >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
> >>
> >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
> >
> >Simple. You want a Roberts.
> >
> >http://www.robertscycles.com/
> >
> >
> Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?

Yep - and so does SWMBO (it was how I managed to get mine - sell the idea to her first). Mine is an
audax style machine - custom built to measurements taken at their workshop. It gives a superb ride.
Finish and attention to detail cannot be faulted. I did the E2E on mine last year and not one
mechanical and hardly an ache anywhere.

However, one drawback is that it took a long time for me to move it from the sitting room to the
garage, and several months before I took it out in the rain.

IMO Roberts, both for service during the ordering, and in quality of build, cannot be beaten.

...and they build in steel ;-) <ducks>

John B
 
C

Chris French

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, Tony W <[email protected]> writes
>
>"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
>> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
>> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
>>
>> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>>
>> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>
>Yes -- panniers are MUCH the best solution -- even credit card touring you will have a few kg of
>kit (at a guess somewhere around 10 kg) and its much better in a pannier than on your back.
>
Well, if it's just a bit of kit, then I would try and fit it in a saddle bag (a Camper longflap can
hold a goodly amount).

Fit the saddlebag with an SQR fitting and then no need for a rack most of the time.

Not had a frame made by them, but Bob Jackson in Leeds seem to do a good job and have been helpful
when I've used them:

<http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/>
--
Chris French, Leeds
 
C

Chris French

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
>>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue,
>>
>>Simple. You want a Roberts.
>>
>>http://www.robertscycles.com/
>>
>>
>Thank you. I shall contact Roberts.

Hmmm, don't you think that Roberts is a bit to common?

I mean they have big coloured ads in the mags.

Surely want something just a bit select.... :)
--
Chris French, Leeds
 
M

Mike Causer

Guest
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:18:10 +0000, The Big Baguette wrote:

>>> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>>> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>>> never far below the surface. It all says ....

Windcheetah!

If you do get one can I have a go please?

Mike
 
H

Helen Deborah V

Guest
Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>

> In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
> >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
> >>
> >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
> >
> >Simple. You want a Roberts.
> >
> >http://www.robertscycles.com/
> >
> >
> Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?

I don't but my Edgware CTC clubmates do. They love them and have replaced Roberts bicycles with more
Roberts bicycles.

You might also consider St John Street Cycles.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.
 
B

Bloke On A Bike

Guest
The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>
> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?

King of Mercia? or just the frame and build it yourself?

http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/pages/complete_bikes.htm

Bloke on a bike (The biker at the gates of dawn)
 
T

Tony W

Guest
"The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm going to be appallingly vulgar here (never difficult for me). I don't want a Galaxy, because
> other people have them. I want something where the maker's final act will be to paint 'Baggy'
> where 'Dawes' would otherwise go. I want something custom built for me alone. That's the question:
> who makes really good custom-built bikes that are absolute one-offs?

Well stuff you then. I like my Galaxy -- but then, I'm common.

The guys at Thorn will tell you what you want (rather than listen to you). People like Roberts
will be OK.

Yates may be willing to do a nice frame.

Of course there is always the Dark Side --- AHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGG
 
G

GearóId Ó Laoi

Guest
> You might also consider St John Street Cycles.
>
No.

Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.

What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but a
fool and his money are easily parted.....
 
H

Helen Deborah V

Guest
Thus spake "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]>

> > You might also consider St John Street Cycles.
> >
> No.

> Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.

Your friends seem less lucky than mine. My friend has had a Thorn Audax for 6 years and has had
little trouble. He has done a lot of Audax rides on it.

> What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but
> a fool and his money are easily parted.....

A while ago, I did a 'downhill' type race. The bicycles that fared the worst were all Dawes...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
>The Big Baguette wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
>> >On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>> >>feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>> >>never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>> >>
>> >>OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>> >
>> >Simple. You want a Roberts.
>> >
>> >http://www.robertscycles.com/
>> >
>> >
>> Thank you. I shall contact Roberts. Anyone here ride one of these?
>
>Yep - and so does SWMBO (it was how I managed to get mine - sell the idea to her first). Mine is an
>audax style machine - custom built to measurements taken at their workshop. It gives a superb ride.
>Finish and attention to detail cannot be faulted. I did the E2E on mine last year and not one
>mechanical and hardly an ache anywhere.
>
>However, one drawback is that it took a long time for me to move it from the sitting room to the
>garage, and several months before I took it out in the rain.

This sounds like my machine. I suspect I must have one.
--
The Big Baguette
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, chris French <newspost- [email protected]> writes
>In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>>In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes
>>>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:00:24 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue,
>>>
>>>Simple. You want a Roberts.
>>>
>>>http://www.robertscycles.com/
>>>
>>>
>>Thank you. I shall contact Roberts.
>
>Hmmm, don't you think that Roberts is a bit to common?
>
> I mean they have big coloured ads in the mags.
>
>Surely want something just a bit select.... :)

No, no. As long as I can get my name painted on the frame, I'll be happy. I mean, the truly select
way would be to go for someone who's never made a frame before -- and that wouldn't be sensible,
now would it?
--
The Big Baguette
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
<[email protected]> writes
>
>
>> You might also consider St John Street Cycles.
>>
>No.
>
>Three of my touring friend have them. The tubes are too light and dentable and they're bad value.
>
>What this Grande Baguette should do is buy a Galaxy and get someone to paint something on it, but a
>fool and his money are easily parted.....
>
Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
--
The Big Baguette
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Bloke on a bike
<[email protected]> writes
>The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<q7NcaLAYTjc+Ew2
>[email protected]>...
>>
>> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
>> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
>> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>>
>> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>
>King of Mercia? or just the frame and build it yourself?

Build it myself? Are you out of your tree? I want to be riding it this year, not next. I could think
about buying the frame and getting my LBS to build the bike, I suppose. Anyone in a position to
compare the King of Mercia tourer with a Roberts?
>
>http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/pages/complete_bikes.htm
>
>Bloke on a bike (The biker at the gates of dawn)

--
The Big Baguette
 
P

Peter Heys

Guest
If you want "exclusive" George Longstaff has been building for 21 years this year and he`s making 21
anniversary frames (whatever you want ie tourer, audax , racer etc) for the select few with the
necessary folding!....
 
G

GearóId Ó Laoi

Guest
> Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
> --
> The Big Baguette

Oh,

so we're adopting the condescending Englisman tone here, that which has you the most beloved race in
the world, not least in the northern part of the island you inhabit? It is of course only a minority
who thus behave, but it is they who besmirch the whole race in the eyes of others.

is ag casadh ar an mórchúis atáimíd anois, nós Sasanach gur chúis leis an dímheas atá ag cách
oraibh, agus ní lú ná mar atá thar teorainn ó thuaidh id thír féin. Mionlach a tharraingíonn síos an
móramh i súilibh an domhain.

This you large breastick is Irish, the first written language in the West of Europe, which was being
written when your ancestors were sharing wives and painting themselves blue, while mine were
attempting to educate them, an attempt the results of which were obviously not lasting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.