New tourer -- built by?

Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on your
side of the pond...
--
mark "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
> camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
> some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
>
> I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
>
> OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
>

> --
> The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
<[email protected]> writes

>> Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
>> --
>> The Big Baguette
>
>Oh,
>
>so we're adopting the condescending Englisman tone here, that which has you the most beloved race
>in the world, not least in the northern part of the island you inhabit? It is of course only a
>minority who thus behave, but it is they who besmirch the whole race in the eyes of others.

refer to me as a fool, where on earth do I get the impertinence to respond in kind? A tip for you:
inspect your own behaviour before correcting that of others. If you do, you'll find yourself keeping
uncharacteristically silent -- and won't that be a benefit to the rest of the world.
--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, mark
<[email protected]> writes
>Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
>paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on
>your side of the pond...
>--
>mark

Those do look nice. I particularly like what they have to say about 'a better way to sit'. I'm going
to be in California in six weeks -- maybe I'll go by there and take a look. I'd want them to fit me,
anyway. I'm also pleased to note their generosity towards riders of 55 and over (which I am). But a
wait of up to six months will see me back into winter (not a Walnut Creek concept, I know)

--
The Big Baguette

Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>

> In article <[email protected]>, mark
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
> >paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on
> >your side of the pond...
> >--
> >mark

> Those do look nice. I particularly like what they have to say about 'a better way to sit'. I'm
> going to be in California in six weeks -- maybe I'll go by there and take a look. I'd want them
> to fit me, anyway. I'm also pleased to note their generosity towards riders of 55 and over
> (which I am). But a wait of up to six months will see me back into winter (not a Walnut Creek
> concept, I know)

Hate to take the wind out of your sails but you might have to pay import duty if you take a new bike
home from the USA.

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>

>> In article <[email protected]>, mark
>> <[email protected]> writes
>> >Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
>> >paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on
>> >your side of the pond...
>> >--
>> >mark
>

>> Those do look nice. I particularly like what they have to say about 'a better way to sit'. I'm
>> going to be in California in six weeks -- maybe I'll go by there and take a look. I'd want them
>> to fit me, anyway. I'm also pleased to note their generosity towards riders of 55 and over
>> (which I am). But a wait of up to six months will see me back into winter (not a Walnut Creek
>> concept, I know)
>
>Hate to take the wind out of your sails but you might have to pay import duty if you take a new
>bike home from the USA.

Well, if it's worth it, why not? I've been called a fool here for being willing to spend my own
money. I celebrated my 60th birthday two weeks ago. I've worked hard for 40 years. I've raised three
children and put them through university. I own my house. I don't owe anything. I'm _still_ working,
although not seven days a week any longer, and notwithstanding a pension having kicked in from a
previous employment. Looking back, I see a number of extravagances, but not many of them were for me
as opposed to other family members. Right now I fancy doing something spectacularly good JUST FOR
ME. And the shape I want that to take is a touring bike that meets two criteria: It's wonderful to
ride; and no-one else has got one just like it. If I spend £3,000 I spend £3,000. If more, more. If
I pay import duty, I pay import duty. Just imagine if it was a car I wanted, instead of a bike.
--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, John B <[email protected]> writes
>Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>> Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>>
>> > In article <[email protected]>, mark
>> > <[email protected]> writes
>>
>> > Those do look nice.
>

>> Hate to take the wind out of your sails but you might have to pay import duty if you take a new
>> bike home from the USA.
>
>... and worst of all - it won't be British ;-)

Just like the Giant I ride at the moment.
--
The Big Baguette

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, mark
> > <[email protected]> writes
> > >Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
> > >paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on
> > >your side of the pond...
> > >--
> > >mark
>
> > Those do look nice.

> Hate to take the wind out of your sails but you might have to pay import duty if you take a new
> bike home from the USA.

... and worst of all - it won't be British ;-)

John B

Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>

> In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
> >

> Well, if it's worth it, why not? I've been called a fool here for being willing to spend my own
> money. I celebrated my 60th birthday two weeks ago. I've worked hard for 40 years. I've raised
> three children and put them through university. I own my house. I don't owe anything. I'm _still_
> working, although not seven days a week any longer, and notwithstanding a pension having kicked in
> from a previous employment. Looking back, I see a number of extravagances, but not many of them
> were for me as opposed to other family members. Right now I fancy doing something spectacularly
> good JUST FOR ME. And the shape I want that to take is a touring bike that meets two criteria:
> It's wonderful to ride; and no-one else has got one just like it. If I spend £3,000 I spend
> £3,000. If more, more. If I pay import duty, I pay import duty. Just imagine if it was a car I
> wanted, instead of a bike.

I love your attitude. ENJOY YOUR MONEY!

Get a lovely bike & enjoy riding it while you can.

I never called you a fool. I quoted an old saying, probably by Shakespeare.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

This means that people are unwise in their spending. That's all. It's said all the time.

It's called metaphor.

If I say you take the biscuit, I am not referring to food.

In article <[email protected]>, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
<[email protected]> writes
>I never called you a fool.

Of course you didn't. You didn't make gratuitously insulting and racist anti-English remarks,
either, did you?

> I quoted an old saying

That's right. You quoted it in relation to me.

>A fool and his money are easily parted.
>
>This means that people are unwise in their spending. That's all. It's said all the time.

You said it in relation to me. Is this sinking in yet?

>It's called metaphor.

Er...no. It's not called metaphor. Metaphor is something else. Sorry. (Yes, I do know that metaphor
has become a fashionable word for the half-educated to bandy around so they can imagine they're
keeping their conversational end up. It's still wrong).
--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>

>> In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht
>> <[email protected]> writes
>> >Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>> >

>> Well, if it's worth it, why not? I've been called a fool here for being willing to spend my own
>> money. I celebrated my 60th birthday two weeks ago. I've worked hard for 40 years. I've raised
>> three children and put them through university. I own my house. I don't owe anything. I'm _still_
>> working, although not seven days a week any longer, and notwithstanding a pension having kicked
>> in from a previous employment. Looking back, I see a number of extravagances, but not many of
>> them were for me as opposed to other family members. Right now I fancy doing something
>> spectacularly good JUST FOR ME. And the shape I want that to take is a touring bike that meets
>> two criteria: It's wonderful to ride; and no-one else has got one just like it. If I spend £3,000
>> I spend £3,000. If more, more. If I pay import duty, I pay import duty. Just imagine if it was a
>> car I wanted, instead of a bike.
>

>I love your attitude. ENJOY YOUR MONEY!
>
>Get a lovely bike & enjoy riding it while you can.

Thanks. I suspect you're not British, yes? There's this terrible British thing that says it's not
really all right to enjoy what you've worked for and certainly not all right to enjoy it publicly. I
say to my kids, 'I got you to the starting gate in good nick. The track is open and where you finish
is up to you,' (if you're paying attention, Gerry, THAT'S metaphor) 'But if my money helps from here
on it'll be because I inadvertently died while I was trying to have fun spending it. Raise a glass
of something nice in my direction.'

Hasn't it been wonderful cycling weather today? I _need_ that new bike.
--
The Big Baguette

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Rivendell (www.rivendellbicycles.com) do very nice lugged steel frames, all custom, beautiful
> paintwork by Joe Bell. Shipping could be a bit expensive, but you won't see too many of them on
> your side of the pond...
> --
> mark "The Big Baguette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Touring for me means staying in pubs/hotels/B&Bs/Chambres d'hote. I.e. it does not mean carrying
> > camping gear. I do need panniers, though. On road, track and towpath -- i.e. not off road, but
> > some of those towpaths get a bit rough. England, Wales, France and that's about it.
> >
> > I want a new tourer. I've got enough to spend that money's not an issue, I want something that
> > feels great and looks good and I do rather feel like indulging the obnoxious flash git who is
> > never far below the surface. It all says custom build.
> >
> > OK. So who by? Who do I go to?
> >

> > --
> > The Big Baguette

Rivendell, Yates, Roberts, Longstaff -- all great frames. I'd add Argos in Bristol, and Paul Hewitt
seems to be all the rage suddenly. Thorn too. I always value Garry's advice, but here I
respectfully disagree.

But if MNO, and you want something no one else has, go for a full tilt French randonneuse with
custom built chrome carriers fore-and-aft, integrated lighting, etc. After all, who wants mere
bolted-on after-market parts?

The legendary Alex Singer has no website, but look under "France" in www.classicrendezvous.com.

Or look at the Follis Paris-Brest and Brest-Menton under "Velos Randonneurs" at www.follis.tm.fr.
The carrier options are under "Options".

Or, from Mike Barry in Toronto, the "petite" or "randonneur" under
www.bikespecialties.com/marip_petite.html.

Similarly Gilles Berthoud. His website is under construction, but there are samples under
"Randonnees" at http://www.cycles-vincent.com/cadre.htm.

Toei in Japan does the same thing, but is not (I'm told) receptive to dealing with export orders and
language barriers. Perhaps you have a friend in the Mysterious East who would represent you?

And to equip any of these, you really should spring for Berthoud's leather and canvas bags. Scroll
down through http://www.cycles-vincent.com/accesoires.htm. Yes, yes, Ortliebs would be more
practical, but then, so would a Dawes. Be a little flash: it'll cheer up the rest of us.

In any case, enjoy the eye-candy inevitably encountered when shopping at the top of the market. And
let us know how you come out.

Peter Storey

In message <[email protected]>, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
<[email protected]> writes

>> Who am I to question the opinion of an Irishman when it comes to the ways of fools?
>> --
>> The Big Baguette
>
>Oh,
>
>so we're adopting the condescending Englisman tone here, that which has you the most beloved race
>in the world, not least in the northern part of the island you inhabit? It is of course only a
>minority who thus behave, but it is they who besmirch the whole race in the eyes of others.
>
>is ag casadh ar an mórchúis atáimíd anois, nós Sasanach gur chúis leis an dímheas atá ag cách
>oraibh, agus ní lú ná mar atá thar teorainn ó thuaidh id thír féin. Mionlach a tharraingíonn síos
>an móramh i súilibh an domhain.
>
>This you large breastick is Irish, the first written language in the West of Europe, which was
>being written when your ancestors were sharing wives and painting themselves blue, while mine were
>attempting to educate them, an attempt the results of which were obviously not lasting.

How did you get on in Sardinia?
--
Michael MacClancy

In message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>Hate to take the wind out of your sails but you might have to pay import duty if you take a new
>bike home from the USA.

Money doesn't seem to be a problem in this case.
--
Michael MacClancy

In message <[email protected]>, "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee"
<[email protected]> writes
>I never called you a fool. I quoted an old saying, probably by Shakespeare.
>
>A fool and his money are easily parted.
>
>This means that people are unwise in their spending. That's all. It's said all the time.
>
>It's called metaphor.
>
>If I say you take the biscuit, I am not referring to food.

I've now seen your Sardinia report. Thanks.
--
Michael MacClancy

Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>

> >I love your attitude. ENJOY YOUR MONEY!
> >
> >Get a lovely bike & enjoy riding it while you can.
> >
> Thanks. I suspect you're not British, yes?

I suppose I am British; I was born in London though neither parent was born in Britain. I am Jewish.
A few weeks ago, I treated one of a retired couple who were doing much international travel. They
said "A pound saved is a pound wasted." referring to the fact that they could not take their money
to the hereafter. IIRC they too were Jewish.

I really neither know nor care whether this approach is a Jewish cultural thing.

> There's this terrible British thing that says it's not really all right to enjoy what you've
> worked for and certainly not all right to enjoy it publicly. I say to my kids, 'I got you to the
> starting gate in good nick.

My parents are proud that all their six kids are self-sufficient...

In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, chris French <newspost- [email protected]> writes
>>In message <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
>>>In article <[email protected]>, Call me Bob <[email protected]> writes

>>>Thank you. I shall contact Roberts.
>>
>>Hmmm, don't you think that Roberts is a bit to common?
>>
>> I mean they have big coloured ads in the mags.
>>
>>Surely want something just a bit select.... :)
>
>No, no. As long as I can get my name painted on the frame, I'll be happy.

Oh well then, any old bike and have a respray..............

--
Chris French, Leeds

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> writes
>Thus spake The Big Baguette <[email protected]>
>

>> >I love your attitude. ENJOY YOUR MONEY!
>> >
>> >Get a lovely bike & enjoy riding it while you can.
>> >
>> Thanks. I suspect you're not British, yes?
>
>I suppose I am British; I was born in London though neither parent was born in Britain. I am
>Jewish. A few weeks ago, I treated one of a retired couple who were doing much international
>travel. They said "A pound saved is a pound wasted."

I love it

>referring to the fact that they could not take their money to the hereafter. IIRC they too
>were Jewish.
>
>I really neither know nor care whether this approach is a Jewish cultural thing.

If it is, I'm glad to have caught it

>> There's this terrible British thing that says it's not really all right to enjoy what you've
>> worked for and certainly not all right to enjoy it publicly. I say to my kids, 'I got you to the
>> starting gate in good nick.
>
>My parents are proud that all their six kids are self-sufficient...

They should be
--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Storey
<[email protected]> writes

>Rivendell, Yates, Roberts, Longstaff -- all great frames. I'd add Argos in Bristol, and Paul Hewitt
>seems to be all the rage suddenly. Thorn too. I always value Garry's advice, but here I
>respectfully disagree.
>
>But if MNO, and you want something no one else has, go for a full tilt French randonneuse with
>custom built chrome carriers fore-and-aft, integrated lighting, etc. After all, who wants mere
>bolted-on after-market parts?
>
>The legendary Alex Singer has no website, but look under "France" in www.classicrendezvous.com.
>
>Or look at the Follis Paris-Brest and Brest-Menton under "Velos Randonneurs" at www.follis.tm.fr.
>The carrier options are under "Options".
>
>Or, from Mike Barry in Toronto, the "petite" or "randonneur" under
>www.bikespecialties.com/marip_petite.html.
>
>Similarly Gilles Berthoud. His website is under construction, but there are samples under
>"Randonnees" at http://www.cycles-vincent.com/cadre.htm.
>
>Toei in Japan does the same thing, but is not (I'm told) receptive to dealing with export orders
>and language barriers. Perhaps you have a friend in the Mysterious East who would represent you?
>
>And to equip any of these, you really should spring for Berthoud's leather and canvas bags. Scroll
>down through http://www.cycles-vincent.com/accesoires.htm. Yes, yes, Ortliebs would be more
>practical, but then, so would a Dawes. Be a little flash: it'll cheer up the rest of us.
>
>In any case, enjoy the eye-candy inevitably encountered when shopping at the top of the market. And
>let us know how you come out.
>
>Peter Storey

I'm going to have to take time to look at these. Later, probably -- when I get back from
my bike ride
--
The Big Baguette

My experience of how friends who cycletour with me spend money is that they splash out loads on a
bike which is inferior in robustness to something like a Dawes Galaxy, or has pathetic wheel
clearance and then skimp on stuff like proper bags, cameras etc.

Bags. Gotta be Ortlieb. Camera. Gotta be really good. Raincoat for touring. Gotta have zips under
the arms, a hood, etc.