New touring bike purchase

Samlc

May 5, 2005
Anyone familar with the new Burley Vagabond touring bike? I am considering it vs Cannondale T2000. I am a piano tuner and 30 years ago road a Motobecane Super Mirage all around downtown Chicago and the north and NW sides. I now live in the Missouri Ozarks and like to take it up again. I'm at a nasty 230lb and hope to become 3/4 of the man I am today. We have our share of hills, gravel. I figure on carrying about 15lbs of tools on a rear rack and some panniers for rain suit, lock, etc. Any opinions?

Bought the T2000 yesterday. I hope nobody comes up with a stellar report on Burley Vagabond.

Samlc said:
Bought the T2000 yesterday. I hope nobody comes up with a stellar report on Burley Vagabond.
Dont now zip about a burley vagabond but I do know a few people that have been very happy touring on their Cannondale.

Best of luck with your touring.

Cheers

Hi!
Well, I can't help you with information on the other bike you are considering, but I can tell you that the Cannondale T2000 is awesome!!! Last summer I rode my bike (the T2000) from Paris to Rome; not one problem! Not even a flat... it's been amazing. The gearing is perfect for long distance rides as well as shorter and it's just an over-all GREAT bike. I also have the Cannondale Sport Bike (dont recommend it) and a Trek 1600; my T2000 is by far my favorite!

sheelerz4life said:
Hi!
Well, I can't help you with information on the other bike you are considering, but I can tell you that the Cannondale T2000 is awesome!!! Last summer I rode my bike (the T2000) from Paris to Rome; not one problem! Not even a flat... it's been amazing. The gearing is perfect for long distance rides as well as shorter and it's just an over-all GREAT bike. I also have the Cannondale Sport Bike (dont recommend it) and a Trek 1600; my T2000 is by far my favorite!

Did you have any difficulty with getting it sized correctly? I haven't seen mine yet, to be built end of the month.

Samlc said:
I figure on carrying about 15lbs of tools

What are you gonna do? Build your own bridges along the way???

Yikes! Even fully self-sufficient touring I only carry about 5lbs total in tools/a couple spokes/tube/folding tire!

coolworx said:
What are you gonna do? Build your own bridges along the way???

Yikes! Even fully self-sufficient touring I only carry about 5lbs total in tools/a couple spokes/tube/folding tire!
Sounds like he intends to use the bicycle to commute to his work - ie. carrying all of the tools he needs to tune people's pianos. ;)

Sounds like a cool way to do your job. Good Luck!

Eden said:
Sounds like he intends to use the bicycle to commute to his work - ie. carrying all of the tools he needs to tune people's pianos. ;)

Sounds like a cool way to do your job. Good Luck!

:D

Well that certainly makes sense now!

He could probably could get away with a decent seatpost rack to carry 15lbs.

Samlc said:
Did you have any difficulty with getting it sized correctly? I haven't seen mine yet, to be built end of the month.

No, I don't remember having any difficulties with the sizing. I'm a medium in Cannondale bikes, and with a few seat adjustments and such it fits perfectly. When you do purchase a new bike, I would assume your bike technician will help fit you! Good Luck