New toy, mark II

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

  2. John G

    John G Guest

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  4. "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    >
    > Finally.

    It surely is a think of great beauty. Not sure if the brooks saddle is in keeping with the rest of
    the bike or not, but i'm sure it works for you so i won't knock it. Anyway its only reall men who
    use brooks saddles, well thats what the couple of mad customers who come in and out of the shop keep
    telling me. I just laugh at them especially the guy with the pink bike.

    Anyway thats enough of by babbling. Sweet machien I want it but u can keep the saddle

    AL

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

  7. Alastair Maxwell wrote:

    > Not sure if the brooks saddle is in keeping with the rest of the bike or not, but i'm sure it
    > works for you so i won't knock it. Anyway its only reall men who use brooks saddles, well thats
    > what the couple of mad customers who come in and out of the shop keep telling me. I just laugh at
    > them especially the guy with the pink bike.

    Unless you've experinced the beauty of a Brooks you will never understand....

  8. JD wrote:
    > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    >>
    >>Finally.
    >

    > At least you didn't call it "custom".

    Why?

    > Dig the big wheels. Too bad they don't make strong rims or decent tires for 29" yet.

    Actually, there isn't much wrong with the Motoraptor in my book, and it is quite easy to find strong
    700c rims. Light is another question...

    I see that you are your typical ray of sunshine. Hope it gets better for you. Someone who lives in
    paradise should have a better world view.

    > JD proportionate

    Not really.

    --
    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  9. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

  10. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

  11. John G wrote:

    > Anthony Sloan wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    >

    > Ohh my gosh, it's beautiful...... Dam I want one of them SOOOOOO bad!
    >
    > So how does it ride?

    Yesterday I took it out for it's maiden voyage. I was quite impressed with its singletrack
    abilities. As I have been waiting for this bike, I have assumed that it would roll more smoothly
    than a 26er, at the expense of some tight twisty handling capabilities. But in reality it rails
    through the tight stuff. I guess shortening the wheelbse and running the straight blade fork really
    works. I am completely stoked.

  12. bloocow wrote:
    > "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    >>
    >>Finally.
    >

    > Undoobitably beuteefool!! Love those red singleators. Kinda wish mine wasn't plain silver...

    I can't wait until Surly release their Tuggnut chain tensioner so I can ditch the singleator
    altogether!

    > Hope you're planning to cut the steerer or at least put some spacers there or is it already there?

    Spacers were there. I left it long as I had no Idea what I was going to end up needing from the
    front end.I cut it down a bit, but the taller wheels are goiing to take some getting used to in
    terms of reach and height.

    > can't see clearly. Out of curiosity, do you know the weight?

    25.8

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  13. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >>http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    > >>
    > >>Finally.
    > >

    > > At least you didn't call it "custom".
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > > Dig the big wheels. Too bad they don't make strong rims or decent tires for 29" yet.
    >
    > Actually, there isn't much wrong with the Motoraptor in my book, and it is quite easy to find
    > strong 700c rims. Light is another question...

    I find the current selection of rims and tires far too insufficient to fall into a 29". If it was
    comparable to 26" selection, then I'd take the plunge just because a 29" wheel obviously is more
    proportionate to someone my size. I'm not holding my breath.

    > I see that you are your typical ray of sunshine. Hope it gets better for you. Someone who lives in
    > paradise should have a better world view.

    It's cloudy today, what do you want?

    JD

  14. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > bloocow wrote:
    > > "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    > >>
    > >>Finally.
    > >

    > > Undoobitably beuteefool!! Love those red singleators. Kinda wish mine
    wasn't
    > > plain silver...
    >
    > I can't wait until Surly release their Tuggnut chain tensioner so I can ditch the singleator
    > altogether!

    I was out riding today and on 3 climbs the chain went off the singleator freewheel during the
    climbs. Never happened so many times before so it was extremely irritating that I had to stop to put
    the chain back on. At least I could still keep going till I was at the top of the little hills.

    > > Hope you're planning to cut the steerer or at least put some spacers there or is it already
    > > there?
    >
    > Spacers were there. I left it long as I had no Idea what I was going to end up needing from the
    > front end.I cut it down a bit, but the taller wheels are goiing to take some getting used to in
    > terms of reach and
    height.

    Hope to see your RR then!

    > > can't see clearly. Out of curiosity, do you know the weight?
    >
    > 25.8

    Bit heavy for a skinny like me but still within the nice range!

    bloocow.

  15. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "russell pinder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > http://www.anthonysloan.com/karatemonkey1.jpg
    > > >
    > > > Finally.
    > >

    > > Schweet! You put a tensioner on, huh? Is there a much larger cog on the flip/flop? /s
    >
    > Flip flop on a disc hub - shurley shome mishtake?
    >
    > Russ

    Gah! Good point. /sch