New toy part 2

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dimitri, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    Well after seasoning the side burner this week - "spray" on some oil and cook
    for several hours.

    This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with the little
    tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.

    I filled a chimney starter and a few minutes later dumped all the coals into the
    sidebox.

    I browned the trimmed little devil for a few minutes in the side box on to start
    the cooking process, then transferred the meat to the main chamber, closed both
    lids & opened the vents to heat up the unit. At 225 closed down the vents to
    about 10% dropped 2 chunks about the size of a fist of red oak into the side
    box, and walked away.

    The tri-tip had been sitting in Garlic, Onion, salt, pepper and red wine for
    several hours.

    That was about 3:45 The guests were supposed to be there at 6:00. a little later
    they called to say they were delayed until about 6:30.

    About 6:00 the meat read 135 on an instant read, and the chamber temp was down
    to about 180 or so. Transferred the meat back to the side burner to "finish"
    the browning. When that was done the out it came into a warm oven while the rest
    of the dinner was finished.

    At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most tender
    tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q sauce
    on the side.

    Next experiment - 16 pound turkey.

    It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.

    Dimitri

    Tags:

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Dimitri wrote:

    > This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with
    > the little tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.

    <good accounting snipped>

    Sounds like a great first run! Congrats!

    --
    Andy

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    I just saw there is a new show on Food Network and it's
    online. It's called Eat This. Foodnetwork.com/eatthis

    Starts at 11am. FYI.

    nancy

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > I just saw there is a new show on Food Network and it's
    > online. It's called Eat This. Foodnetwork.com/eatthis
    >
    > Starts at 11am. FYI.
    >
    > nancy

    Rats! I see the page you gave and it says premiers today but not in
    Philly!

    Oh well. Thanks for the fyi.

    --
    Andy

  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I just saw there is a new show on Food Network and it's
    > online. It's called Eat This. Foodnetwork.com/eatthis
    >
    > Starts at 11am. FYI.
    >
    > nancy

    Tee Hee.
    Dee Dee

  6. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Dimitri wrote:
    >
    >> This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with
    >> the little tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.

    > <good accounting snipped>
    >

    > Sounds like a great first run! Congrats!
    >
    > --
    > Andy

    Thanks,

    Worth the effort.

    ;-)

    Dimitri

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    Dimitri wrote:
    > ....[snip] This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with the little
    > tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.
    > [snip]
    > At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    > around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most tender
    > tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q sauce
    > on the side. [snip]

    > It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.

    This is good, right? You don't want it hotter except for browning,
    right?

    Anything that can tame the toughness of tri-tip is worth continuing to
    play with. -aem

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    Dimitri wrote:
    > ....[snip] This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with the little
    > tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.
    > [snip]
    > At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    > around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most tender
    > tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q sauce
    > on the side. [snip]

    > It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.

    This is good, right? You don't want it hotter except for browning,
    right?

    Anything that can tame the toughness of tri-tip is worth continuing to
    play with. -aem

  9. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dimitri wrote:
    >> ....[snip] This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill
    >> with the little
    >> tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.
    >> [snip]
    >> At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    >> around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most
    >> tender
    >> tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q
    >> sauce
    >> on the side. [snip]

    >> It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.
    >>

    > This is good, right?

    Delicious!

    You don't want it hotter except for browning, right?

    Not me - I like it rare buth the other half won't eat rere to medium rare :-(

    > Anything that can tame the toughness of tri-tip is worth continuing to
    > play with.

    Agreed - thin slicing is almost a necessity.

    BTW this was the el-cheapo $2.99 per pound untrimmed. I did the trimming.

    Dimitri

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Dimitri wrote:
    >> ....[snip] This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill
    >> with the little
    >> tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.
    >> [snip]
    >> At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    >> around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most
    >> tender
    >> tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q
    >> sauce
    >> on the side. [snip]

    >> It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.
    >>

    > This is good, right?

    Delicious!

    You don't want it hotter except for browning, right?

    Not me - I like it rare buth the other half won't eat rere to medium rare :-(

    > Anything that can tame the toughness of tri-tip is worth continuing to
    > play with.

    Agreed - thin slicing is almost a necessity.

    BTW this was the el-cheapo $2.99 per pound untrimmed. I did the trimming.

    Dimitri

  11. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:24:58 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Well after seasoning the side burner this week - "spray" on some oil and cook
    >for several hours.
    >
    >This Saturday I did a medium sized tri tip - a bit of overkill with the little
    >tri-tip and the giant chamber but what the heck.
    >
    >I filled a chimney starter and a few minutes later dumped all the coals into the
    >sidebox.
    >
    >I browned the trimmed little devil for a few minutes in the side box on to start
    >the cooking process, then transferred the meat to the main chamber, closed both
    >lids & opened the vents to heat up the unit. At 225 closed down the vents to
    >about 10% dropped 2 chunks about the size of a fist of red oak into the side
    >box, and walked away.
    >
    >The tri-tip had been sitting in Garlic, Onion, salt, pepper and red wine for
    >several hours.
    >
    >That was about 3:45 The guests were supposed to be there at 6:00. a little later
    >they called to say they were delayed until about 6:30.
    >
    >About 6:00 the meat read 135 on an instant read, and the chamber temp was down
    >to about 180 or so. Transferred the meat back to the side burner to "finish"
    >the browning. When that was done the out it came into a warm oven while the rest
    >of the dinner was finished.
    >
    >At 7:00 we ate - the tri-tip had a fantastic flavor, the meat was tinged red
    >around the outside for about 1/8th of an inch. This was one of the most tender
    >tri-tips I have ever cooked. Served with some local Central Coast red Q sauce
    >on the side.
    >
    >Next experiment - 16 pound turkey.
    >
    >It seems that one chimney of charcoal will not get over 225.
    >
    >Dimitri

    In smoking turkey in the old, cheap, Brinkman brand smoker....
    I found that the smoke must be started prior to turkey getting even
    warm.. It's as if the turkey is "sealed" even after a couple minutes
    of cooking temps..
    Pan of cheap apple juice over coals , under turkey makes it nice too..
    Chuck (in SC)