New Trek OCLV Frame?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Andrew Martin, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5598.6945.f.jpg

    Another thead about SRM - and this frame caught my eye. Rear "V" seat stays like a Madone, with the
    front tubing of a 5900. No semi-aero tubing. What bike is this? I do like the rear "V" rather than
    the traditional wishbone that comes on the 5500/5900.

    Anybody have the scoop on this?

    -a

    Tags:

  2. "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5598.6945.f.jpg
    >
    > Another thead about SRM - and this frame caught my eye. Rear "V" seat stays like a Madone, with
    > the front tubing of a 5900. No semi-aero tubing. What bike is this? I do like the rear "V" rather
    > than the traditional wishbone that comes on the 5500/5900.
    >
    > Anybody have the scoop on this?

    Goddamm, you are a Fred.

  3. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5598.6945.f.jpg
    > >
    > > Another thead about SRM - and this frame caught my eye. Rear "V" seat stays like a Madone, with
    > > the front tubing of a 5900. No semi-aero tubing. What bike is this? I do like the rear "V"
    > > rather than the traditional wishbone that comes on the 5500/5900.
    > >
    > > Anybody have the scoop on this?
    >

    > Goddamm, you are a Fred.

    <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2 on a team sponsored by Trek and I have a 5900 coming my
    way but I like the looks of the Madone seat stays a lot more.

    Sorry for nitpicking about new frames, but I really don't like the wishbone seat stay, and the
    Madone "semi-aero" tubing just looks odd to me.

    Dumbass.

    -a

  4. "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2 on a team sponsored by Trek and I have a 5900 coming
    > my way but I like the looks of the Madone seat stays a lot more.
    >
    > Sorry for nitpicking about new frames, but I really don't like the wishbone seat stay, and the
    > Madone "semi-aero" tubing just looks odd to me.
    >
    > Dumbass.
    >
    > -a

    Let me get this straight - You're getting a FREE 5900, but you're concerned about the way it looks?

    -T

  5. Andrew Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Goddamm, you are a Fred.

    > <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2 on a team sponsored by Trek and I have a 5900 coming
    > my way but I like the looks of the Madone seat stays a lot more. Sorry for nitpicking about new
    > frames, but I really don't like the wishbone seat stay, and the Madone "semi-aero" tubing just
    > looks odd to me.

    Calm down, Henry. He has a good point. Those wishbone rear stays are stylish, but they make it much
    harder to mount a pannier rack.

  6. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5598.6945.f.jpg
    > >
    > > Another thead about SRM - and this frame caught my eye. Rear "V" seat stays like a Madone, with
    > > the front tubing of a 5900. No semi-aero tubing. What bike is this? I do like the rear "V"
    > > rather than the traditional wishbone that comes on the 5500/5900.
    > >
    > > Anybody have the scoop on this?
    >

    > Goddamm, you are a Fred.

    HEY! I take issue with that!

    onefred

  7. "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<o%[email protected]>...
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > > <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2 on a team sponsored by Trek and I have a 5900 coming
    > > my way but I like the looks of the Madone seat stays a lot more.
    > >
    > > Sorry for nitpicking about new frames, but I really don't like the wishbone seat stay, and the
    > > Madone "semi-aero" tubing just looks odd to me.
    > >
    > > Dumbass.
    > >
    > > -a
    >
    > Let me get this straight - You're getting a FREE 5900, but you're concerned about the way
    > it looks?
    >
    > -T

    No, sorry to overstate my ability. Cat 2, not Pro, so sponsor doesn't mean "FREE" for us.

    -a

  8. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<o%[email protected]>...
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > > <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2 on a team sponsored by Trek and I have a 5900 coming
    > > my way but I like the looks of the Madone seat stays a lot more.
    > >
    > > Sorry for nitpicking about new frames, but I really don't like the wishbone seat stay, and the
    > > Madone "semi-aero" tubing just looks odd to me.
    > >
    > > Dumbass.
    > >
    > > -a
    >
    > Let me get this straight - You're getting a FREE 5900, but you're concerned about the way
    > it looks?

    Dumbass,

    Most "sponsored" locals don't get anything for free.

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Calm down, Henry. He has a good point. Those wishbone rear stays are stylish, but they make it
    > much harder to mount a pannier rack.

    HAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA!

    We just have to bring back the Posting of the Month.

  10. "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Goddamm, you are a Fred.
    >
    > <Run-on sentence coming> Goddam I'm a Cat 2

    <snip>

    Like I said:

    Goddamm, you are a Fred.

  11. Gerr

    Gerr Guest

    Good observation I wonder. I have held off on buying a new frame (the madone) because I beleive the
    2005/5900's and madone will be quite different than 2004. Madones are still almost beta. (That will
    bring on the responses) Trek has some catching up to do with many multi-shaped carbon frames around
    now. Check out the new time VXRS at www.wrenchscience.com. A buddy of mine has one and loves it. I
    really prefer to buy american espically when colango or time tells my friends it will be 6 MONTHS
    before their warranty work will be done, and Trek tells me it will only take a month! Oh yes, and I
    work in USofA too! [had to throw that line] Rant: In the 80's and 90's I used to have bikes back
    from trek within 2 weeks.

    [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5598.6945.f.jpg
    >
    > Another thead about SRM - and this frame caught my eye. Rear "V" seat stays like a Madone, with
    > the front tubing of a 5900. No semi-aero tubing. What bike is this? I do like the rear "V" rather
    > than the traditional wishbone that comes on the 5500/5900.
    >
    > Anybody have the scoop on this?
    >
    > -a

  12. Daremo

    Daremo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    When you worked in a shop and knew reps well enough you did ........

    Got my team Fuji Team full bikes, Bell helmets, jerseys, shorts, and energy bars and drinks one year free (5 members).

    The next year we got Bell helmets, GT frames, jerseys, and the energy bar stuff free and then Fir rims, and groupos at huge discounts.

    Being "drinking buddies" with reps was always a good thing ........ and I was the only Cat. 3 on the team, everyone else was 4 or 5 ......... how you like them apples?!

  13. [email protected] (Gerr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Good observation I wonder. I have held off on buying a new frame (the madone) because I beleive
    > the 2005/5900's and madone will be quite different than 2004. Madones are still almost beta. (That
    > will bring on the responses) Trek has some catching up to do with many multi-shaped carbon frames
    > around now. Check out the new time VXRS at www.wrenchscience.com. A buddy of mine has one and
    > loves it. I really prefer to buy american espically when colango or time tells my friends it will
    > be 6 MONTHS before their warranty work will be done, and Trek tells me it will only take a month!
    > Oh yes, and I work in USofA too! [had to throw that line] Rant: In the 80's and 90's I used to
    > have bikes back from trek within 2 weeks.

    I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this new
    model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.

    -fred

  14. > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this new
    > model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.

    I'm not sure if I'm coming in on the serious part of this thread or the jokes, but...

    The bike Lance was shown on was a stock Madone frameset. 2004 model. No different from what is
    (slowly) showing up on the floors of dealers.

    "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Gerr) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Good observation I wonder. I have held off on buying a new frame (the madone) because I beleive
    > > the 2005/5900's and madone will be quite different than 2004. Madones are still almost beta.
    > > (That will bring on the responses) Trek has some catching up to do with many multi-shaped carbon
    > > frames around now. Check out the new time VXRS at www.wrenchscience.com. A buddy of mine has one
    > > and loves it. I really prefer to buy american espically when colango or time tells my friends it
    > > will be 6 MONTHS before their warranty work will be done, and Trek tells me it will only take a
    > > month! Oh yes, and I work in USofA too! [had to throw that line] Rant: In the 80's and 90's I
    > > used to have bikes back from trek within 2 weeks.
    >
    > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this new
    > model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.
    >
    > -fred

  15. Mike Zaharis

    Mike Zaharis Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:

    > The bike Lance was shown on was a stock Madone frameset. 2004 model. No different from what is
    > (slowly) showing up on the floors of dealers.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com

    Hate to be what airplane watchers call a "rivet counter", but:

    http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5586.6928.f.jpg

    >From the Alargave (sp?) race.
    This is not a stock Madone. Look at the seat tube. You can see his left shoe where the "aero" rear
    wheel fairing should be.

    Someone posted in the Velonews forum that it was a Madone prototype from last year, which was used
    this year because it already had the SRM on it.

  16. > Hate to be what airplane watchers call a "rivet counter", but:

    > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5586.6928.f.jpg
    >
    > >From the Alargave (sp?) race.
    > This is not a stock Madone. Look at the seat tube. You can see his left shoe where the "aero" rear
    > wheel fairing should be.
    >
    > Someone posted in the Velonews forum that it was a Madone prototype from
    last
    > year, which was used this year because it already had the SRM on it.

    That *does* look interesting! I'm running down the answer on this one.

  17. Mike Zaharis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
    >
    > > The bike Lance was shown on was a stock Madone frameset. 2004 model. No different from what is
    > > (slowly) showing up on the floors of dealers.
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
    > >

    > Hate to be what airplane watchers call a "rivet counter", but:
    >
    > http://www.velonews.com/images/int/5586.6928.f.jpg
    >
    > >From the Alargave (sp?) race.
    > This is not a stock Madone. Look at the seat tube. You can see his left shoe where the "aero" rear
    > wheel fairing should be.
    >
    > Someone posted in the Velonews forum that it was a Madone prototype from last year, which was used
    > this year because it already had the SRM on it.

    That sounds more reasonable. I guess the frame I want just doens't exist.

    -a

  18. Gerr

    Gerr Guest

    Never serious dear boy, always tongue in cheek. (No serious/sane person would visit these threads !)

    "Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this
    > > new model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.
    >
    > I'm not sure if I'm coming in on the serious part of this thread or the jokes, but...
    >
    > The bike Lance was shown on was a stock Madone frameset. 2004 model. No different from what is
    > (slowly) showing up on the floors of dealers.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
    >
    > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (Gerr) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Good observation I wonder. I have held off on buying a new frame (the madone) because I
    > > > beleive the 2005/5900's and madone will be quite different than 2004. Madones are still almost
    > > > beta. (That will bring on the responses) Trek has some catching up to do with many multi-
    > > > shaped carbon frames around now. Check out the new time VXRS at www.wrenchscience.com. A buddy
    > > > of mine has one and loves it. I really prefer to buy american espically when colango or time
    > > > tells my friends it will be 6 MONTHS before their warranty work will be done, and Trek tells
    > > > me it will only take a month! Oh yes, and I work in USofA too! [had to throw that line] Rant:
    > > > In the 80's and 90's I used to have bikes back from trek within 2 weeks.
    > >
    > > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this
    > > new model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.
    > >
    > > -fred

  19. Eric Lambi

    Eric Lambi Guest

    > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this new
    > model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.

    It makes perfect sense that you would prefer a frameset that is less-aero and heavier than the
    standard one. Wouldn't want all that "aero stuff" speeding you up.

  20. [email protected] (Eric Lambi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm told the Madone is a lot more rigid a ride because of the rear stays - so I'm hoping this
    > > new model would have similar characteristics without all the aero stuff going on.
    >
    > It makes perfect sense that you would prefer a frameset that is less-aero and heavier than the
    > standard one. Wouldn't want all that "aero stuff" speeding you up.

    Unfortunately "taste" doesn't always make perfect sense. I'm not sure that this frame build-up is
    any heavier anyway. I'm 180, so an couple g on a frame might be a good thing.

    -a