New Trike recommendations

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by DudleyDoRight, Aug 1, 2004.

1. DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight New Member

I am looking to buy my first recumbent, a trike. Mostly it will be used locally, Southern California. I am 6'2" and 210 and in fairly good shape for 57 years old. I would like to keep the costs fairly reasonable since this if my 1st foray into recumbents. Any recommendations?

Thanks for you help.

Bob

Tags:

2. woodturner529

woodturner529 New Member

Strongly recommend you go to bentrideronline.com or recumbent.com and look at the new to recumbents sections. There are many trikes to choose from, Whizwheelz, Greenspeed, Catrike, and many others. Two lower priced and US made trikes are Whizwheelz and Catrike. Both are high quality and come highly recommended from many different owners.
    Hope this helps.

3. hazahl

hazahl New Member

Check out Kettwiesel from Hase bikes of Germany!

4. Catrike #116

Catrike #116 New Member

I bought a Catrike Road because of the quality, price, and comfort for long distance riding.

I served the web till I dropped to help me in my decision

I bought without riding, no local trike shops.

I made a wise investment and enjoy it immensley.

Catrike Road #116

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

5. dougfoot

dougfoot New Member

When I was searching for a recumbent trike in 2001, I made a list of features that suited my particular needs (small in size, hard seat, known manufacturer, adjustibility). What purchased in January of 2002 was a Trice Micro sight unseen and no test ride - I would do it all over again (in fact 2006 may be the year I purchase a new Micro - depending on the exchange rate). I love the build, the ride is great. I'm not a small guy - 5'11", 199lbs, however, I fit quite well.
    This year will mark my third year with the Micro and my forth Seattle to Portland. The STP is a 200 mile ride that takes place in July, that can be done in 1 or 2 days - I ride the 1 day event. Last year I completed it in 13 hours 50 minutes. This is 2002 STP finish photo: http://www.footeco.com/images/stp/2002/portland01.jpg
    This is 2003 STP just finished:
    http://www.footeco.com/Images/STP/2003/portland04.JPG
    This is 2004 STP taken close to the halfway point in Centralia WA:
    http://www.footeco.com/Images/STP/2004/to_Centralia01.jpg

My trike experience has been a great one and would recommend owning and riding a trike (really doesn't matter witch one - as long as you ride it...)

6. riptoff

riptoff New Member

7. riptoff

riptoff New Member