New Tryes

Mak'em Lad

May 31, 2010
Hi, my Boardman Comp came with Contenental 26 x 2.1 chunky (flat top?) tyres. I find that these have quite a lot or 'road drag'.

My type of riding will mainly consist of riding on hard pack (cycle/ex.railway tracks & roads) and mostly in the dry (got better thing to do when it's raining, like sty dry :D).

I am looking for a reasonable priced tyre that would suit me. I have read reviews of the DRM Moto 26" (rounded top & less chunky tread) tyre & these were all positive.

Has anyone had experience of these?

Are there any other tyres out there that are 1.9"-2.2" (been told that even on hard pack not to go less than 1.8") that have good rolling properties but still providing the 'cusion' & grip required on hard pack?

64Paramount said:
We have these on my Missus's bike and really like them:

Bontrager: Comfort Hardcase (Model #00804)

If those are out of your price range, these sound like they have the characteristics your looking for at a lower price , although I haven't used them myself:

Bontrager: H2 26 (Model #07795)

Can't find local stockest of those particular tyres as yet (but can find web based).
Have seen these at a local bike shop
Evans Cycles | Bontrager XR1 Team 26 x 2.0 Folding Tyre | Online Bike Shop

Mak'em Lad;3947426 said:
Can't find local stockest of those particular tyres as yet (but can find web based).
Have seen these at a local bike shop
Evans Cycles | Bontrager XR1 Team 26 x 2.0 Folding Tyre | Online Bike Shop

I don't have any experience with those myself, they look to me like they have an off road designed tread. So if you are planning to do most of your riding on roads or hard pack, you will probably be able to reduce your rolling resistance more by using a tire that has smooth contact area in the center.

Something like this design:

Evans Cycles | Continental Top Contact Tyre | Online Bike Shop

I don't have any personal experience with that particular tire either, just using it as an example.

After more looking about I finally went for Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tyres (and a good track pump).

What a difference they mave made. Both on & off road my speed (top & average) has increased on a previously timed route and it is sooooo much easier to ride (a lot less effort required to reach the higher speed). Also there is a lot less road noise from them.

Thanks for the help & advice.

Tyres found here
Evans Cycles | Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tyre | Online Bike Shop

http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-equipment/476239-black-helmets-=-heat-right-2.html