new tubulars

Let us know how they work out. The last bargain tubulars I bought, Challenge Stradas, punctured and blew holes in the casing at the mere whiff of a sharp object.

Only a tire like the Clement 50 would get me training on tubulars again.

Regarding riding home on unglued spares--at least you had some dried up glue left on the rim. And Tubasti, at least the white variety that we used, would tack up nicely with a little pressure and warmth from the road. Then in a hot criterium it would tack up too much, but at least it got us through the bike inspection.

My first "fast" tires were Clement Criterium Setas, and they were. Red honeycomb tread, about 220 grams, and I could feel the rear wheel drift around corners. Then there were the Clement Paris-Roubaix silks, 290 grams, 28mm silk casing, and a thin closed cell foam pad between the tread and casing. Smooth and durable.

Regarding riding home on unglued spares--at least you had some dried up glue left on the rim.

Depending on how long the last tire(s) had been mounted, the old glue ranged from bone dry to still gooey. You are correct though, most of the time there was still some bite left in it. Tubasti...Mastik...whatever that crappy rubber/gutta percha stuff was. We used it all over the years. Did you ever shellac your tires onto the rim?

And Tubasti, at least the white variety that we used, would tack up nicely with a little pressure and warmth from the road. Then in a hot criterium it would tack up too much, but at least it got us through the bike inspection.

We used to race the old A to Z Classic...Athens to Zanesville.

The wheel tech idiot was a weightlifter. That wore leather work gloves. With an I.Q. of 12. He could peel ANYTHING off the rim. Tech was often bypassed.

I'm in agreement with you about training on clinchers. Vredestein Fortezza TriComps are fairly fast, roll smoothly, grip well and are the most puncture/cut resistent tires I've come across. Fronts last 5K miles and rears are showing cord at 1,000-1,200 miles.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Only a tire like the Clement 50 would get me training on tubulars again.
The Wolber Invunerables with an actual steel belt did the trick pretty nicely, they rode pretty well all things considered (did I mention the steel belt) and I managed a couple thousand miles on a single pair. Dirt roads, panniers, and all. Try that on a pair of seta's.

Never used shellac. I thought that was strictly for track. I needed something I could peel off without a knife.

I'm beginning to remember Wolber Invulnerables. The thing about Wolber that I remember, though, was the base tape peeling from the tire after they got wet a few times. Loved the Arc-en-ciels, though.

And Tricomps are a nice training tire. I'm using them this winter, a pair that had been in the shop as long as I have and the sales guys never marked up. I have to say they're just as puncture resistant as GP4000s, and a lot easier to get on the rim. And I like the colors. When the roads get nice the tubies will come out--Vittoria Evos on Mavic reflex rims, 32 butted spokes, and Circus Monkey (Bitex) hubs. My Colorado-Roubaix wheels.

I'm also using 32H-3X Reflex for most races.

I don't remember Wolber's base tape coming undone, but I do recall they had the weakest carcass of any sewup I used. We used rubber cement, contact cement, shellac, automotive adhesives...and yes, once you cursed long enough and got the tire started off I used to slide a Campy 'peanut butter knife' wrench between the tire and rim to pry it off!

I start using the Fortezza TriComps in 2005 and so far they are THE most durable 'fast' tire I've tried. Last season I had NO punctures. I managed to put a hellova tread cut in a brand new rear near the end of the season (leaning thru a fast turn I hit a chunk of unseen gravel). The cut has not opened and I've ridden thru winter on that tire. The only negative I've found with the TriComps is the short service life on the rears. Fronts seem to last forever.

One of bontrager's high end clinchers (I forget the model) also worked well for me. We'll see how the Race 3's that came on the Wilier last, but they do ride well. I haven't got up the nerve to try some of the $100+ boutique brand sew-ups. I might try Kendas this spring.

Re: the Wolbers, it may have been a problem with the second generation. Not sure about the manufacturing details and if/where they started outsourcing, but after the first years of production the tire's quality dropped noticeably, they didn't really mount straight, and visually speaking they looked like a gucci knock-off. Identical at a distance but up close labeling, detail, ride quality, etc. all subpar compared with the first iteration. I didn't try any of their other models, it was pretty much Vittoria or Conti for me when it came to serious business.

Besides the ride, the best part of tubbies was the non-event of a flat, especially during a race in a large group. Always had a layer of rubber between you and the road. If I had ever been soloing to a win and flatted in the last 1k I would have been happy to ride in flat and trash a rim for the chance at a victory.

Originally Posted by bpatterson .

I'm about to get my new bike it has reynolds MV32UL tubulars these will be my first tubulars
What are the big diffrences to clinchers as far as training ... do I need to always carry a extra tire ... should I glue my own tires or should just drop it off at the shop? any othe nuances of tubulars that you could provide are appreciated
Given that it's a $2,500, 1,000gram low spoke count wheelset I'd be more inclined to save them for racing. But it's your call and they'll be fun to ride.

There "may" be some special surface prep required on the carbon rim surface to allow the glue to stick properly to it prior to the first coat. That's your #1 RTFM moment. #2 RTFM moment is reading to see if there are any compounds/glues etc that the manufacturer does recommend putting on the rim to stick the tires on or clean the glue off with. You could go to the reynolds website now and read that ahead of time.

Given the price tag on those rims I'd ride those as little as possible with a flat tire but a well glued deflated tubular tire can be ridden a long way, with some care in the corners of course.

Vitorria Mastik1 is a good road glue (as opposed to a track glue that'll dry hard and be fecking hard to remove the tire from the rim and leave glue near useless to use when out on the roadside). It's been around seemingly since Stonehenge and works well if you take the time to follow the glueing procedure properly. Vitorria probably has instructions on the website but from what I recall it's on the side of the tin too. Get the tin and not the small tubes as there's nothing more frustrating that running out of glue midway through the second coat. Gluing takes time. Read the procedure carefully and follow it to the letter - including the drying time between coats. Internet "wisedom" about the glueing process goes out the window somewhere between noticing the tire rolling off your new rims mid corner and the side of your hip, elbows and face doing a good impression of a slab of bacon in a meat slicer at the local butchers shop.

If I was to buy a set of tubs now they'd likely be Conti competitions and a Conti giro for a spare. Width of the tire would be based on the width of the rim. If was doing a bunch of crits (rotflmoa) I'd probably go for the Conti podium

Get a couple of paint brushes (the small ones for trim work good), some solvent (see above note on carbon rims and cleaning above), rubber gloves (tub glue is a pain in the ass to get off) and make sure that you have a few pairs of suitably old and trashed jeans/t-shirts. Once it's on - it's on... Trim one of the paint brushes down to "stipple" the glue into the base tape of the tire. Remember to clean the brushes as soon as you've used them. If you know you're lazy and clean up - buy four brushes!

Prepare your spare at the same time that you glue your other tires. It'll need the same coat or two of glue as well.

Accept the fact that at first you'll dribble some glue on the braking surface and will likely get some on the sidewall of the tire too.

Whatever tires you get you'll need to stretch them. I'd ebay some cheap sprint rims or see what's on craigslist. You can give them a good "tug o war" stretch using your feet and hands... but I like to get them on a rim, unglued and inflated at full pressure for a while - it makes getting the tire on the rim when you have wet glue soooooo much easier.

Inflate the tires too full pressure before you glue them - they'll turn inside out which isn't a problem but it'll allow you to check for pre-delivery punctures before you get glue on them. Once they're glued, mounted or not, they're yours!

Depending on the rim width, I'd get a tubular tire to match that width. It's a semi aero rim so it'd be somewhat silly to negate the aero benefits of that rim by stuffing a 22 or 23mm tire on a 19mm rim (if it is 19mm).

Resist the urge to buy old "aged" tires from 10 years ago. Unless you know where they've been stored and you trust the folks you'll likely find that, as mentioned above, the base tape glue will have dried up and the base tape will start to peel off. It'd be likely that the rubber would have been heat cycled thousands of times in someones garage and exposed to 'who knows what' chemicals to the point of cracking. Modern tires are so much better anyway. I used to love Continental tubulars but ride Conti clinchers now - these days I don't really see the point of tubulars for the road... but there's something to be said to hearing Conti TT tubulars pumped to 170psi (or 200psi depending on which tire you're running) on a concrete surface. They 'sing'.

I'd also make sure that when you're out and about training that you have a reliable method of inflating your tires to at least 100psi. You can negate a bit of "sticking power" from the glue following a tub change by putting in some extra air. The thought of putting in 110psi with a mini-me pigeon **** pump just makes my hands pre-blister at the thought.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Given the price tag on those rims I'd ride those as little as possible with a flat tire but a well glued deflated tubular tire can be ridden a long way, with some care in the corners of course.
YES! Much better to risk trashing a $50 Mavic GP4 (although I bet NOS would go for considerably more than that).

It's been around seemingly since Stonehenge...

Bravo, sir...bravo! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Amazing that we use a product I first purchased in the early 1970's on a rim manufatured from the latest of space age materials. I guess that despite safely rideable bikes dropping into the 12-pound range (or less!), the details of riding and racing have not changed all that much.

Danfoz,

I sold some SSC rims a while back - which given current prices I regret a bit but still have my old GEL280 rims... With some modern hubs those would make a really light set of wheels.

Then again... Why? LOL. If I do get another set of rims they'll probably be HED Jet 6 with a powertap hub - clinchers. Box section, schmock section.