New tyres + existing inner tubes?

Ed

Guest
Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
on them.

I'd like to pump them up to their max. as they'll take 85 p.s.i.

Would it be advantageous to buy smaller tubes?

Thanks very much.

Ed.

[email protected] (Ed)typed

> Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
> just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
> on them.

They should be fine.

> I'd like to pump them up to their max. as they'll take 85 p.s.i.

> Would it be advantageous to buy smaller tubes?

Not IMHO. Stretching smaller tubes seems to make them more likely to
fail where the valve stem patch joins the main tube IME.

Make sure you don't get 'pinch' punctures though.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 19 Sep 2004 09:58:28 -0700, [email protected] (Ed) wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
>just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
>on them.

Yes.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Ed wrote:

> Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
> just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
> on them.

Yes, but if they're a couple of years old get some new ones. Old tubes
eventually let go, often in a non-repairable manner. Tearing next to
the valve is the usual problem.

Ed wrote:
> Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
> just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
> on them.

Shoud be ok.

> I'd like to pump them up to their max. as they'll take 85 p.s.i.
>
> Would it be advantageous to buy smaller tubes?

Only to save weight (or money?) or to make fitting slightly easier.
Disadvantages: require inflating more often; slightly less reliable in
general.

~PB

in message <414dc540.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>
>> Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres
>> I've just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say
>> 700x35/43C on them.

> Yes, but if they're a couple of years old get some new ones. Old
> tubes
> eventually let go, often in a non-repairable manner. Tearing next to
> the valve is the usual problem.

Juliette's road bike, twenty-one years old this year, is still rolling
on its original inner tubes. They've been patched a few times, mind,
but they're in good condition. They've outlasted at least two sets of
tyres.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

In message <414dc540.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> writes
>Ed wrote:
>
>> Can someone please tell me if the Schwalbe Marathon 700x35C tyres I've
>> just got are ok with the inner tubes that I have which say 700x35/43C
>> on them.

>Yes, but if they're a couple of years old get some new ones. Old tubes
>eventually let go, often in a non-repairable manner. Tearing next to
>the valve is the usual problem.

Oh dear I'm well into living on borrowed time then :)
--
Chris French, Leeds

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll give the existing ones a go.
Cheers.
Ed.