New tyres

frankconnell

Jun 20, 2006
Has anybody got any tips on buying a good set of 2.1 xc tyres. I need something that is great in corners but smooth at rolling too with a good bite for uphill. I was thinking along the lines of maxxis but not sure what type or there are any better makes. Any ideas, reccomendations or suggestions would be welcome.

Will you be mainly on trails or tarmac? I had a similar problem but it was caused by the fact I had to ride to get to trails on roads...hence, they wore quick.

Take a look at Continental, Michelin and Kenda. If your on a budget, the Tioga Factory XCs (I think they are available in 2.1) are good value.

To be honest, I bought a pair of new 2.1 Continental knobbies and I hated em, they slid on corners real bad. So I took em back, (Good Dealer) got a pair of Specialized Resolutions, no complaints in the dirt, no good on road.
I do love those Specialized Crossroads for that cross bike thing.
They have a solid rubber all the way around in the middle, helps on roads but will cost you in loose ground traction needs. They do corner real well in any ground.

I rode Continentals for years, OK, spendy, and Kenyas(Bla) and stuff. I do like those Specialized tires(tyres),

I am a big fan of the Hutchinson tyre range. Pythons are great unless it gets too muddy.

Ny Cykel said:
I bought a pair of new 2.1 Continental knobbies and I hated em, they slid on corners real bad.
Really? I got a set of Continental Double Fighter 2.00 and theyr were really good for what i did. I live reasonably far from any real trail so I have to ride to get places and that absolutly killed my Hunchinson Scorpians. The Double Fighter was slick in the centrer but had aggressive knobs on the outside. I found they slid alot on gravel (to be expected wth Semi-Slicks) but on tarmac, they were great.
I currently have a set of Bontragers (dont ask what model! :confused: ) and they are better then the Continentals. I managed to get them cheap off a Trek as the person that bought it wanted Slicks.

Its all a matter of trial an error. See what works best for you. Everyone has different bikes, abilities, physique so what works for one person may not work for others.
Good Luck!

frankconnell said:
Has anybody got any tips on buying a good set of 2.1 xc tyres. I need something that is great in corners but smooth at rolling too with a good bite for uphill. I was thinking along the lines of maxxis but not sure what type or there are any better makes. Any ideas, reccomendations or suggestions would be welcome.

WTB ExiWolf's - awesome cornering. Grip in most conditions, but particularly good on hardpack and loose gravel.