New UK trike - oppinions?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by reply, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. reply

    reply Guest

    Hi all,

    must be a record this, asking for opinions on a trike that does not exist yet but here goes. I'll
    take a guess that more than a few people have see this

    http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/

    I called my local dealer and he has been told there will be an adult version available some time
    in January for £500 The children's version seems to be well received and those who have them are
    very happy.

    What I'm thinking it that the adult version may make a good commuter vehicle. I have a 15 mile each
    way journey so it's not that far. I'm thinking that though this will be a bit on the heavy side it
    looks like it will take a few knocks and bumps. I'd rather arrive a little slower that have a wheel
    drop off on the way.

    I would be interested in anyone who owns (or children owns) the smaller version or who has seen one.
    This looks like a good machine at a fantastic price. Even if it needs bits doing to it (extra gears
    and such) to make it into a good commuting machine it still seems a fantastic price.

    Thanks

    Everso

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    [email protected] scribed with passion and wit:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > must be a record this, asking for opinions on a trike that does not exist yet but here goes. I'll
    > take a guess that more than a few people have see this
    >
    > http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/
    >
    > I called my local dealer and he has been told there will be an adult version available some time
    > in January for £500 The children's version seems to be well received and those who have them are
    > very happy.
    >
    > What I'm thinking it that the adult version may make a good commuter vehicle. I have a 15 mile
    > each way journey so it's not that far. I'm thinking that though this will be a bit on the heavy
    > side it looks like it will take a few knocks and bumps. I'd rather arrive a little slower that
    > have a wheel drop off on the way.
    >
    > I would be interested in anyone who owns (or children owns) the smaller version or who has seen
    > one. This looks like a good machine at a fantastic price. Even if it needs bits doing to it (extra
    > gears and such) to make it into a good commuting machine it still seems a fantastic price.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Everso

    I sell the kids ones, my 8 year old daughter loves hers.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  3. reply

    reply Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I sell the kids ones, my 8 year old daughter loves hers.

    Cool. Assuming that the adult one is of similar quality and so on how do you think it will work out
    as a commuter bike. I'm looking at getting a trike soonish and am trying to decide if it's worth
    waiting for.

    Thanks

    Everso

  4. <[email protected]> skrev ...
    > Cool. Assuming that the adult one is of similar quality and so on how do you think it will work
    > out as a commuter bike. I'm looking at getting a trike soonish and am trying to decide if it's
    > worth waiting for.

    I saw a couple in Sweden. They strike me as more of a trike-bmx than something you would use for
    commuting. The seatback on the small ones was a tube covered in rubber/foam and you would need a
    rack and fenders for the front wheels maybe. Not much mention of the adult version yet so maybe it
    will differ from the kids version.

    Mikael

  5. reply

    reply Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I saw a couple in Sweden. They strike me as more of a trike-bmx than something you would use for
    >commuting. The seatback on the small ones was a tube covered in rubber/foam and you would need a
    >rack and fenders for the front wheels maybe. Not much mention of the adult version yet so maybe it
    >will differ from the kids version.
    >
    >Mikael

    Yeha - I noticed that seat thing but that should be easy to make more comfortable. I also thing it
    should be possible to put a new crank or possibly mountain drive to get a better gear range.

    Now - as for the full fairing and electric assist ...

    Everso

  6. I think I saw someting like it at Interbike. Very interesting design and well designed.

    > Hi all,
    >
    > must be a record this, asking for opinions on a trike that does not exist yet but here goes. I'll
    > take a guess that more than a few people have see this
    >
    > http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/
    >
    > I called my local dealer and he has been told there will be an adult version available some time
    > in January for £500 The children's version seems to be well received and those who have them are
    > very happy.
    >
    > What I'm thinking it that the adult version may make a good commuter vehicle. I have a 15 mile
    > each way journey so it's not that far. I'm thinking that though this will be a bit on the heavy
    > side it looks like it will take a few knocks and bumps. I'd rather arrive a little slower that
    > have a wheel drop off on the way.
    >
    > I would be interested in anyone who owns (or children owns) the smaller version or who has seen
    > one. This looks like a good machine at a fantastic price. Even if it needs bits doing to it (extra
    > gears and such) to make it into a good commuting machine it still seems a fantastic price.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Everso

  7. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    I would not want my kid riding that bike in the street, and it could not possibly be any good on trails.

  8. reply

    reply Guest

    Why? - the kid thing I mean.

    watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would not want my kid riding that bike in the street, and it could not possibly be any good
    >on trails.

  9. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Ok I will respect your opinion but for the most part, but if you say stuff like that some reasoning
    behind that would be good. Otherwise you will be labled the overprotective type that lets your child
    live a sheltered life. Open your mind and don't just bash something for no reason, my nephew has one
    and for the most part he was a bit heavyset, now after having one of these he gets out more and so
    far has leaned out cause it is "cool" and he has made some new "friends" cause he gets out more. Ya
    I can see all the drawbacks of one of these.

    But I guess I have just opened a can of worms here and should be prepared for a bashing,

    Ben

    "watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would not want my kid riding that bike in the street, and it could not possibly be any good
    > on trails.

  10. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 16, watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I would not want my kid riding that bike in the street,

    Why not?

    > and it could not possibly be any good on trails.

    Why not?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  11. Ian

    Ian Guest

    watsonglenn scribed with passion and wit:

    > I would not want my kid riding that bike in the street, and it could not possibly be any good
    > on trails.

    They are surprisingly good off road, my daughter spends a lot of time riding over grassed
    areas on hers.
    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  12. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    The trike is too low. It seems to be designed for older kids who would want to ride it in the street, but cars would never see them.

  13. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    They are surprisingly good off road, my daughter spends a lot of time riding over grassed
    areas on hers.>>>

    How could she possible provide the torque to move through grass on that thing. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lot of fun and I would love to have one but it seems dangerously low for the street and not good for dirt. Of course I could be wrong.

  14. Ian

    Ian Guest

    watsonglenn scribed with passion and wit:

    > They are surprisingly good off road, my daughter spends a lot of time riding over grassed areas on
    > hers.>>>
    >

    > How could she possible provide the torque to move through grass on that thing. Don't get me wrong,
    > it looks like a lot of fun and I would love to have one but it seems dangerously low for the
    > street and not good for dirt. Of course I could be wrong.

    She is usually travelling about mach 1 when she makes the transition between street and grass, but
    even if she stops on the grass, she has no problem getting going again, she is able to ride hands
    off too, she always uses the flag, she doesn't ride on the street unless I'm with her, in the cool
    stakes with other kids the trike is a major winner.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  15. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 17 Nov, watsonglenn <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The trike is too low. It seems to be designed for older kids who would want to ride it in the
    > street, but cars would never see them.

    Oh, teh old "I know it's dangerous because I've never ridden one" argument. Just so long as we're
    clear there's not actually any rational reasoning behind your opinion, that's fine.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  16. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Ok I will respect your opinion but for the most part, but if you say stuff like that some reasoning behind that would be good.>>>

    The reason is its so low. I think an adult could take into account the danger of being so low but would you want your ten year old riding that thing in the street? It does look fun though.

    Otherwise you will be labled the overprotective type that lets your child live a sheltered life.>>

    I try and let my kids take chances but this seem a bit much.

    Open your mind and don't just bash something for no reason, my nephew has one and for the most part he was a bit heavyset, now after having one of these he gets out more and so
    far has leaned out cause it is "cool" and he has made some new "friends" cause he gets out more. >>>

    Well I did not mean to "bash it" but the danger seem obvious. How old is your nephew?

    Ya I can see all the drawbacks of one of these. But I guess I have just opened a can of worms here and should be prepared for a bashing,>>>

    No harm done. Like I said I could be wrong. If they send me one I will give it a fair try out. :)

  17. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Oh, teh old "I know it's dangerous because I've never ridden one" argument. Just so long as we're
    clear there's not actually any rational reasoning behind your opinion, that's fine.>>>

    Well you are a real jerk are'nt you. I never rode the space shuttle either but it look dangerous. By the way thanks for allowing me to post on your board. Jerk

  18. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    watsonglenn wrote:
    > ... By the way thanks for allowing me to post on your board. Jerk

    This is an un-moderated Usenet newsgroup, so anyone is free to post anything, including more than
    200 posts on an off-topic thread. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

  19. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "watsonglenn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok I will respect your opinion but for the most part, but if you say stuff like that some
    > reasoning behind that would be good.>>>
    >
    > The reason is its so low. I think an adult could take into account the danger of being so low but
    > would you want your ten year old riding that thing in the street? It does look fun though.

    How high are the curbs/kerbs? The painted lines? A squirrel running across the road? I'll wager one
    can see those easily enough.

    Tom Thompson

  20. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Good to hear that you would give it a spin! My nephew is 10 by the way and I think that the fact
    that it is close to the ground is not an issue, first if they fall they have not got far to go....
    hahahaa, kidding. I for the most part see that there might be a visibility factor for local road
    traffic (I am assuming this is the reasoning for the low part you keep repeating) but seriously, his
    head is not any lower than his little sister on her bike she is 7,wagons with kids in them are about
    the same height, a kid crouching or sitting on a skate board is the same height, dogs are the same
    height, cats are lower, a toddler is the same height, a kid pushing a toy truck is the same height,
    a kid picking up a ball is the same height........I think you get the picture and all of the above
    don't get hit by traffic because they are low, in any neighbourhood any driver is aware that there
    might be children around and drive accordingly for the most part, yes there are exceptions but....
    (again I am assuming this is why you are concerned about the low thing.) Finally you can put a flag
    on it if it is that much of a concern (again this is not an end all to be all solution but every
    little bit helps)

    But I have had my say and will not be a part of a hacking contest here against you. I like a good
    polite debate, but I am sorry you are taking such a berating here, and see your concern as
    reasonable but at the same time in my opinion it is not a safety concern that should be worried
    about. Buy your kid one and have fun! besides make it a thing you go out and do with the kid and he
    or she gets your companionship and love, you get to supervise and put your heart to rest, and the
    kid has one of the best times of his or her life and relates it to you, and you being there WIN WIN!

    Ben .

    you can add a flag, tell the kid that only ride in parks and pathways, possibly some streets in a
    news:[email protected]...