New UK trike - oppinions?

watsonglenn wrote:
>
> I had a similar experience when several of us passed a lady that was walking her llama.>>>
>
> You're making that up :) A llama? Where do you live, Machu Pichu?

Actually, "exotic" domestic animals are not too uncommon in the US. I have been by quite a few rural
residences that had either llamas or alpacas in a corral. I have also seen camels, white tail deer,
ostriches, peafowl, miniature donkeys, and bison being kept.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Mr. Sherman is quite right (apparently he never tires of hearing that). I live in Everett, WA. which
is about 30 miles north of Seattle. I have seen several ranches within 30 miles of my home that
have herds of llamas or alpacas. One of the ladies I work with raises Emu's. One of my Survey
projects was adjacent to a buffalo farm that had a herd of about 50.

Another beast that has faired quite well is the jackass. Apparently many of them are computer
literate and some have been known to post to this newsgroup.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> watsonglenn wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar experience when several of us passed a lady that was walking her llama.>>>
> >
> > You're making that up :) A llama? Where do you live, Machu Pichu?
>
> Actually, "exotic" domestic animals are not too uncommon in the US. I have been by quite a few
> rural residences that had either llamas or alpacas in a corral. I have also seen camels, white
> tail deer, ostriches, peafowl, miniature donkeys, and bison being kept.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:15:32 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Actually, "exotic" domestic animals are not too uncommon in the US. I have been by quite a few
>rural residences that had either llamas or alpacas in a corral. I have also seen camels, white tail
>deer, ostriches, peafowl, miniature donkeys, and bison being kept.
>
>Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom's correct. I regularly ride by a couple of llama farms, an osterich farm, and a bison park. As
for wildlife, I also had a coyote pass in front of me as well as a deer this weekend.

Dennis Tresenriter Central Illinois

If you are concerned about the trike being harder to see because it is concealed by taller vehicles,
then this is true. BUT it is equally true for adult trikes.

If you are concerned about the trike being harder to see because it is low, this is NOT a cause for
concern. The experience of the vast majority of recumbents riders is that the fact of the machines
unfamiliarity makes it more noticeable than an upright bicycle.

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> watsonglenn wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar experience when several of us passed a lady that was walking her llama.>>>
> >
> > You're making that up :) A llama? Where do you live, Machu Pichu?
>
> Actually, "exotic" domestic animals are not too uncommon in the US. I have been by quite a few
> rural residences that had either llamas or alpacas in a corral.

Llama trekking is apparently growing in popularity in the UK also (the people walk, leading llamas
that carry the luggage) and there are ostrich farms here too (kept as meat animals).

There was talk recently of reintroducing wolves into the UK countryside, but, luckily for the
wolves, it seems not to have come to anything - my belief is that they would have been either shot
by farmers or run over by motor vehicles in extremely short order...

--
Carol Hague "Sadistic little buggers, squirrels. I've always said so. Mind you, rabbits are worse.
Bastards!"
- Simon R. Green, _Beyond The Blue Moon_

Carol Hague scribed with passion and wit:

> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> watsonglenn wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a similar experience when several of us passed a lady that was walking her llama.>>>
>>>
>>> You're making that up :) A llama? Where do you live, Machu Pichu?
>>
>> Actually, "exotic" domestic animals are not too uncommon in the US. I have been by quite a few
>> rural residences that had either llamas or alpacas in a corral.
>
> Llama trekking is apparently growing in popularity in the UK also (the people walk, leading llamas
> that carry the luggage) and there are ostrich farms here too (kept as meat animals).
>
> There was talk recently of reintroducing wolves into the UK countryside, but, luckily for the
> wolves, it seems not to have come to anything - my belief is that they would have been either shot
> by farmers or run over by motor vehicles in extremely short order...
MMMMMMMM. Ostrich, yummy.
--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BBDE3FC5.17151%[email protected]...
> watsonglenn scribed with passion and wit:
>
> > They are surprisingly good off road, my daughter spends a lot of time riding over grassed areas
> > on hers.>>>
> >
> >
> > How could she possible provide the torque to move through grass on that thing. Don't get me
> > wrong, it looks like a lot of fun and I would love to have one but it seems dangerously low for
> > the street and not good for dirt. Of course I could be wrong.
> >
> She is usually travelling about mach 1 when she makes the transition
between
> street and grass, but even if she stops on the grass, she has no problem getting going again, she
> is able to ride hands off too, she always uses
the
> flag, she doesn't ride on the street unless I'm with her, in the cool
stakes
> with other kids the trike is a major winner.

Old thread, I know, but I felt like adding a few cents.

First, there are a couple friends of mine that have been building their trikes in the flying cross
design, very similar to the KMX's. As long as you have about 4" or so of clearance (suspension or
not), they operate great offroad. I'm not talking grass, but bike trails, ditches, beaches, gravel
roads, etc. Now I'm sure not all trikes can manage this, especially the more speed oriented ones,
but they are a blast. Our trikes don't have the high performance road tires, but instead we use
predominantly Kendas for the front and these rather smooth $9 rear tires. In fact, the cool thing
about the trikes is their stability and weight shift. Offroad, it's extremely difficult to wipeout,
because you would need steep angles to tip them sideways. When going up hills, the weight shift to
the rear wheel without worrying about doing a wheelie means more weight goes ot the drive wheel, and
now the limiting factor is the strength of your legs. With a triple ring on the front and a small
granny gear, I can go up steeper inclines on my trike - inclines that would have meant I spun-out on
my upright.

As for visibility issues, I don't think so. Trikes/bents are an unusual site on the road except
perhaps for the most cosmopolitan and jaded areas that see people moving down the road pretty much
on their back, all the time. For people who don't want to ruin their weight-weenie status, or don't
like the drag/or noise produced by a 4' flag stick, then perhaps there MAY be an arguement for low
visibility. My experience, has been that the only danger posed is when the passing vehicle slows
down for a better look and causes a real head-on danger with cars coming in the on-coming lane. On
the one trike I made, I think the top of my head is around the 30" mark, and I've neverhad a
visibility problem - day or night. Mind you, I specifically put a mount on all my trike frames for a
4' flag stick. Anyone that is going to hit me because I'm riding a low trike/bent has more problems
than the height of the bike I'm riding and they'd be running into more than just me, and quite
likely bigger things than me as well..