New unpaced world hour record: 85.4 km - set by fifty year old!

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's some hope for fatty masters yet. Fast Freddy Markham has just set
> a new umpaced hour record at 85.4 km or 53.06 miles. UCI? Who gives a
> flying duck about the UCI?
>
> http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2006/dempsey2006.htm
> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2005/images/Thursday/fredThurs.jpg
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> Anagram: I'm soon broke.

deceptive headline; who cares about recumbants? who rides them? how do
you deal with having to jump potholes and bunny hop curbs ? less
appealing than a segway

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> There's some hope for fatty masters yet. Fast Freddy Markham has just set
>> a new umpaced hour record at 85.4 km or 53.06 miles. UCI? Who gives a
>> flying duck about the UCI?
>>
>> http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2006/dempsey2006.htm
>> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2005/images/Thursday/fredThurs.jpg
>>
>> --
>> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>>
>> Anagram: I'm soon broke.

> deceptive headline; who cares about recumbants? who rides them? how do
> you deal with having to jump potholes and bunny hop curbs ? less
> appealing than a segway

In the past two days here in Western Mass./CT (Longmeadow/Somers area), I've
seen four recumbents. One was a recumbent tandem with a morbidly obese,
matching kit couple on it. The others were singles with grey haired fat men
riding. Ugly to look at, but at least they're out on two wheels.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's some hope for fatty masters yet. Fast Freddy Markham has just set
> a new umpaced hour record at 85.4 km or 53.06 miles. UCI? Who gives a
> flying duck about the UCI?
>
> http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2006/dempsey2006.htm
> http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2005/images/Thursday/fredThurs.jpg
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> Anagram: I'm soon broke.

There is this older guy that shows up on a recumbent at one of the
local training rides. The first couple of times I was at the ride, I
remember thinking to myself to stay away from him.

A few weeks back, I am off the front with two other guys working pretty
hard and this recumbent guy comes rolling up along side, having just
bridged the gap. He starts rotating with us and everytime takes the
speed up a notch or two. He's pushing some monster gear, but we're
doing like 28-29 mph. Then he proceeds to ride us off his wheel. I
was able to barely get on, which is a joke (and the point of all this)
because there is no draft behind one of these - at least not for me at
6'2". It is some of the best training I can get because he's like a
carrot in front of me with little or no benefit - other than to make me
work hard.

The guy's 55 and he can go like stink.

Greg Wood

Greg wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > There's some hope for fatty masters yet. Fast Freddy Markham has just set
> > a new umpaced hour record at 85.4 km or 53.06 miles. UCI? Who gives a
> > flying duck about the UCI?
> >
> > http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2006/dempsey2006.htm
> > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2005/images/Thursday/fredThurs.jpg
> >
> > --
> > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
> >
> > Anagram: I'm soon broke.

> There is this older guy that shows up on a recumbent at one of the
> local training rides. The first couple of times I was at the ride, I
> remember thinking to myself to stay away from him.
>
> A few weeks back, I am off the front with two other guys working pretty
> hard and this recumbent guy comes rolling up along side, having just
> bridged the gap. He starts rotating with us and everytime takes the
> speed up a notch or two. He's pushing some monster gear, but we're
> doing like 28-29 mph. Then he proceeds to ride us off his wheel. I
> was able to barely get on, which is a joke (and the point of all this)
> because there is no draft behind one of these - at least not for me at
> 6'2". It is some of the best training I can get because he's like a
> carrot in front of me with little or no benefit - other than to make me
> work hard.
>
> The guy's 55 and he can go like stink.
>
> Greg Wood

And when I was running, I used to get waxed by an old fart wearing
Converse All Stars,,but I didn't run out and get a pair. I'm sure some
'bent riders can 'go like stink', but they would be fast on an upright
as well...plus how did he do when the road went uphill?

It's not the 'bent that makes them fast, regardless of how fervently
the 'bent advocates will say. it is.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's some hope for fatty masters yet. Fast Freddy Markham has just set
> a new umpaced hour record at 85.4 km or 53.06 miles. UCI? Who gives a
> flying duck about the UCI?

We already know about the aero advantage. And the UCI, for that matter.

Post back when you have an age-graded Recumbent Tour de France (or de
Anything) to report.
Thank you.

Back to OLN. --D-y

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> And when I was running, I used to get waxed by an old fart wearing
> Converse All Stars,,but I didn't run out and get a pair. I'm sure some
> 'bent riders can 'go like stink', but they would be fast on an upright
> as well...plus how did he do when the road went uphill?
>
> It's not the 'bent that makes them fast, regardless of how fervently
> the 'bent advocates will say. it is.

Personally, I think anyone who thinks 'only bikes that look like mine are
proper bikes' isn't really a cyclist. A real cyclist will jump on
anything from a butcher's bike to a fully faired speedbike and make it
go - and, furthermore, enjoy it.

And if it isn't the bike that makes them 'go like stink', how many riders
do you know who can get an unfaired, unpaced upright up to 85Km/h on the
flat?

;; lovely alternative to rice.