New,used, or something else

Kaniela

Apr 8, 2018
im not a racer, im not even into lycra (save for under my shorts for paddin). However i do ride (mostly spin indoors) between 200-250 miles per week. I am an ocd person and riding nowhere for a long frickin time soothes me ok. Idk what my wattage is but if i gauged my lsd style rides (i stand up and sprint for 2-5 minutes maybe 10 times in 2 hrs for butt rest) in difficulty from 1-10 i’d say i keep it always above 5 and often 7-8 but rarely higher unless im angry or something. Im not training or trying to pick it up as a hobby, i just like the monotany and the exhaustion.

All i have to ride outside is a junky old mtn bike (k2 zed from 03) with road tires (i cudda spelled that “tyres” but im no cyclist) on it. Anyway im looking at droppin $1k or less on an “adventure” bike becuz i want to use it for evthing. My hope is to tour a little, ride my 2 hrs or so in decent weather, and explore whater i run into inbetween. So i will put racks on, panniers and such...

Should i buy a new bike? my research has led me to either the tommaso illimitate or the nashbar 105, or buy a higher end used like a former rental or something? I am not super hardcore, i dont care about riding fast (i actually prefer long slight inclines or pedalling into the wind, i just want something thats gonna give me tons of mileage without problems. Any tips are welcomed, bikes i missed or shud b looking for used etc.

Im 6’ tall and 180 lbs. if that matters

There is another bike that does cost a wee bit more money then the Tomm bike, but it is significantly better! And that is the Specialized Allez Elite; see this: https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/allez-elite/p/133817 Note this bike comes with Shimano 105 which is a very reliable and responsive groupset, it comes in 3 different color combinations, they are sold at a lot of bike stores and there's probably one near you that at the very least it could order one; this bike has been rated as the best entry level bike currently on the market! And I know that Specialized has the highest quality control of any of the factory made bikes on the market, so you know you'll get a well made bike, plus they stand behind their warranty unlike a lot of manufactures.

For me, much better to buy a new bike. It's really feels great if you are the first owner of the bike. There are so many cheap and affordable price of bike but the quality is still there. There's nothing wrong for buying used bike it's also good, but well it's up to you.

I would suggest that you buy the bike that you like most and you think that you'll be may comfortable with, that's the most important thing.

I've seen the Nashbar 105 and that's a very good bike. You might want to take a look at a Cavallo 105 Alloy Road Bike...
IMG_20180507_234551_750.jpg
IMG_20180507_234610_409.jpg
IMG_20180507_234624_780.jpg

If you are like me who is not meticulous with bikes then I guess any bike that catches your fancy will do. Of course, it is a brand new bike that is the best and you have to try it for size. Testing the new bike for a kilometer or so would give you the feel if it fits your size. That's the advantage of going to a bike shop, you can test the bike which you cannot do with online stores.

I think buying a new bike is a good choice. Sometimes we tend hold on to things when we know we should replace them. There's just something about long held items that make them hard to let go.

If you are like me who is not meticulous with bikes then I guess any bike that catches your fancy will do. Of course, it is a brand new bike that is the best and you have to try it for size. Testing the new bike for a kilometer or so would give you the feel if it fits your size. That's the advantage of going to a bike shop, you can test the bike which you cannot do with online stores.

It's nice when people can be happy with whatever bike they have. Though, I get why others are picky. It's usually because they need a specific use or purpose for their bikes.

I think buying a new bike is a good choice. Sometimes we tend hold on to things when we know we should replace them. There's just something about long held items that make them hard to let go.
Yeah, that's right, sometimes I keep my things even it's old and useless anymore, because of the sentimental value of the items, what more about bike, if you know you're the first owner, you going to keep it, and use it as long as you know you are the first owner.

Reactions: Steve5
I would personally just buy a new one because it's much easier to compare brand new bikes since they are still in pristine condition and you won't get surprised by any sudden problems with your bike. You're also not limited with your choices of brand new ones.

For me it depends on the price and the specifications because sometimes there are really good seldom used bikes which have been already upgraded and because of one reason or another is being sold for a bargain, I usually buy these kinds of bikes and resell it for a profit. Sometimes I even take out some parts and change it with stock or less expensive parts thus gaining me additional profit.

Reactions: Corzhens
For me it depends on the price and the specifications because sometimes there are really good seldom used bikes which have been already upgraded and because of one reason or another is being sold for a bargain, I usually buy these kinds of bikes and resell it for a profit. Sometimes I even take out some parts and change it with stock or less expensive parts thus gaining me additional profit.

You are like my husband's nephew who is good at bikes that he buys and then enhances for re-selling. But not all bikers have the skills to upgrade a bike especially like an ordinary rider like me. However, I agree that the price plays a big role when purchasing bikes. I once had a desire for a folding bike that I saw in one demo sale but it was so expensive so I hesitated and later on had forgotten about it. But if I could afford it then I would have bought it on the spot.

Yeah, that's right, sometimes I keep my things even it's old and useless anymore, because of the sentimental value of the items, what more about bike, if you know you're the first owner, you going to keep it, and use it as long as you know you are the first owner.

I think it will be good practice to remove stuff we no longer need in life. You can't let them go unless you start small. What I do is take the stuff that can't be used or no longer functions. I throw it out to give way for new things.

Well, it's part of my childhood. Even the broken toys I have, and still keep it. There are some situation that the single piece or parts of my old toys are still applicable to apply on my new things, a single bolts or nuts are worth to keep, the old dc motors from broken toys are able to apply to our bike because it can produce light and no need the battery to operate.

I think it will be good practice to remove stuff we no longer need in life. You can't let them go unless you start small. What I do is take the stuff that can't be used or no longer functions. I throw it out to give way for new things.

Sometimes you do have to let things go that you have no use for or use so little it's worthless to keep it. I had 8 bikes, but just today I sold my two Miyatas, a Team that was in nearly new condition, and a 712 that I used to commute on to a Miyata collector for $1000 for the set. I had those bikes for a long time, the Team I bought new in 86 that was a closeout on a 85 models, and the 712 I got used about 20 some odd years ago, but I wasn't riding the Team it only had between 1,000 to 2,000 miles on it, and the 712 had roughly 5,000 miles though that one I was commuting on, so now I'll have to commute on a MTB, no big deal. The sale made my wife happy because now I "only" have 6 bikes, one of those is just basically a frame and fork, but she sees it as less clutter. I have no plans to replace those with other bikes...unless a heck of deal comes along, LOL!!

My plan now is to strip a 84 Schwinn Voyageur that I found in a dumpster, and put the components of it onto the 87 Dawes Galaxy frame and fork that was also a dumpster find, and then see if there any interest from any one to buy the Voyageur as a frame and fork. The Dawes supposedly came with Shimano Deore which is what the Schwinn has but since the Schwinn was older it has the Deerhead Deore, and the Dawes will fit me. So once that Voyageur frame is gone I'll only have 5 bikes.

I also had to whittle down my car collection, mostly because the place I had them stored at was a friend who had over 30 cars in a pole barn who died last year, so I had no place to put my cars, so I sold 3 of the most expensive ones so now I have 2 left.

So I guess I've been on a purge, but the bikes I would have kept but this guy I met on the bike path wanted to see them so I did and the next thing I know he made me offer I couldn't refuse.