New User - Ladies Frames

Avahi29

Feb 1, 2006
Hey there,

First time poster looking for info to help my girlf out.

Some background:
My girlf has a bit of a dilemma re: Ladies Bikes. Currently she has a Specialized Crossroads and she loves the comfort of it and the step-through ladies design of the frame. Unfortunatley she's found it too slow, and more importantly heavy, for her commute to work over the summer (around 13 miles). To remedy this she bought a Specialized Sirrus, much nippier which she likes, but it doesn't have the step through frame design, which she doesn't like.

Basically my question is this. How to get a bike with a ladies step-through frame which has something approaching the weight and speed attributes of the Sirrus or other fast hybrid commuter?

Obv, there will be some compromise on speed/comfort but currently there is a gulf between the two types. There doesn't seem to be a ladies version (with the step-through frame) of the faster city commuters.

There are several ways of approaching this.

Assuming the Sirrus is the right size, teach her to lean the bike over to mount and dismount.

Back to size, how tall? Stand over height? maybe a smaller flat bar bike like the Felt SR101-81 in 47cm-650c may fit better.

A MTB with high presssure slicks and road gearing may be another option.

I have set up 4 bikes in the past 18 months for a 4'10" lady with similar problems. She started with a Giant Sedona, 12-25 cassette, Maxxis Detonator 26x1.25 slicks, 160mm 28/38/48 crankset... etc. She now rides a Felt F100 47cm 650c on the road, and goes shopping on an Apollo Panther 24" wheel MTB with semislicks, 11-28 casssette, 152mm 28/38/48 crankset and it fits better and is easier to mount than the Sedona. The standover is lower and the front end is much lower with the 24" wheels.

Unless you buy an old steel ladies road frame, there is no way of setting up a step through ladies road bike today.

Thanks George,

Those are interesting options. Being in the UK I'm not sure those models are available, nor have I seen many 650c bikes around. However, having said that I've not really been looking either, so I'll investigate further.

I've thought about replacing parts on the Crossroads (forks, wheels etc) to try and lighten it and maybe switching the gearing. Alternatively I've considered getting an old steel frame and adding modern parts. What I don't know is if either of these options will realise much benefit. Any opinions?

I'm pretty new to all this, but like your gf, I found my Trek Navigator cumbersome and heavy. A comfort bike. In October I got a Trek 7.2fx wsd. Women's specific design. It doesn't have front suspension, which helps a lot. The fit (for me) is unbelievable and it isn't really expensive. Its not step-through, but the bar is lower. It's very comfortable, as I ride it to work also. Light, and the seat feels great. The seat isn't a comfort seat, but to me is more comfortable. Have her try some of those designed for women, while not step-through, she may like them. Oh, and on a final note, I'm over 50, ride for pleasure and fitness, but I'll never go back to one of those "comfort" bikes. Hope this helps.