New V2 stem and handlebars?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bikerchief, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bikerchief

Bikerchief Guest

Has anyone had a chance to ride a 2003 V2 with the new stem and handlebars? I have a 2002 V2 and am
    wondering whether the new steering system is better or just a way for Rans to save money.

Dan

Tags:

2. Baronn1

Baronn1 Guest

get the calhoun evo bars, you'll vfeel like you're piloting your v2...i did

"Bikerchief" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had a chance to ride a 2003 V2 with the new stem and handlebars? I have a 2002 V2 and
    > am wondering whether the new steering system is better or just a way for Rans to save money.
    >
    > Dan

3. "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > get the calhoun evo bars, you'll vfeel like you're piloting your v2...i
    did
    >
    >

amen to that. I haven't ridden mine much since mounting the bars/stem, but its MUCH more comfortable
    than the stock V2 bars. I'm still dialing them in and have the riser tube up just about as far as it
    goes- my legs are just too long. anyone know where that tutorial on adjusting the evo bars is on the
    web? I think it was written by Mark Stonich.

I sat on (but didn't ride,) a brand new V2 with a set of the new bars while picking up my '01 V2 at
    the BikeRack in St. Charles, IL last November. I was not impressed- they were waaaay to wide for
    me. I've since talked to Randy at RANS and he said that I must have tried the extra wide
    configuration. It seems that they will be offering the new bars in 3 different models, so I'll hold
    judgement till then.

rich, watching the snow fall in rural Illinois

4. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Guest

5. Mark Stonich

Mark Stonich Guest

"Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> I haven't ridden mine much since mounting the
    bars/stem, but
    > its MUCH more comfortable than the stock V2 bars. I'm still dialing them in and have the riser
    > tube up just about as far as it goes- my legs are just too long. anyone know where that tutorial
    > on adjusting the evo bars is on the web? I think it was written by Mark Stonich.

http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/EvoBarSetup.html

BTW Calhoun has a riser stem for long legged V2 riders. It's just a piece of straight tubing with a
    70mm Aheadset type handlebar stem attached.

I did weld up a custom one, http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/V2Mod.jpg before we got the CNC
    clamps. Much cheaper to go with the clamp on stem.

If you think the clamp on is a bit bulky looking, I recently acquired a bunch of long aheadset
    stems and could weld the handlebar end onto a tube. IMHO not worth the extra expense tho.

BTW I can do custom bends. The bars I make for myself are narrower and deeper than the ones Luke
    sells, but he felt that most customers would find the knee/hand overlap annoying or even dangerous.

> I sat on (but didn't ride,) a brand new V2 with a set of the new bars while picking up my '01 V2
    > at the BikeRack in St. Charles, IL last November. I was not impressed- they were waaaay to wide
    > for me. I've since talked to Randy at RANS and he said that I must have tried the extra wide
    > configuration. It seems that they will be offering the new bars in 3 different models, so I'll
    > hold judgement till then.

I see Terra Cycles has cloned the EvoBars too. "Plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.