New V2 stem and handlebars?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bikerchief, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bikerchief

    Bikerchief Guest

    Has anyone had a chance to ride a 2003 V2 with the new stem and handlebars? I have a 2002 V2 and am
    wondering whether the new steering system is better or just a way for Rans to save money.

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    get the calhoun evo bars, you'll vfeel like you're piloting your v2...i did

    news:[email protected]...

  3. "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > get the calhoun evo bars, you'll vfeel like you're piloting your v2...i
    did

    amen to that. I haven't ridden mine much since mounting the bars/stem, but its MUCH more comfortable
    than the stock V2 bars. I'm still dialing them in and have the riser tube up just about as far as it
    goes- my legs are just too long. anyone know where that tutorial on adjusting the evo bars is on the
    web? I think it was written by Mark Stonich.

    I sat on (but didn't ride,) a brand new V2 with a set of the new bars while picking up my '01 V2 at
    the BikeRack in St. Charles, IL last November. I was not impressed- they were waaaay to wide for
    me. I've since talked to Randy at RANS and he said that I must have tried the extra wide
    configuration. It seems that they will be offering the new bars in 3 different models, so I'll hold
    judgement till then.

    rich, watching the snow fall in rural Illinois

  4. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

  5. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> I haven't ridden mine much since mounting the
    bars/stem, but
    > its MUCH more comfortable than the stock V2 bars. I'm still dialing them in and have the riser
    > tube up just about as far as it goes- my legs are just too long. anyone know where that tutorial
    > on adjusting the evo bars is on the web? I think it was written by Mark Stonich.

    http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/EvoBarSetup.html

    BTW Calhoun has a riser stem for long legged V2 riders. It's just a piece of straight tubing with a
    70mm Aheadset type handlebar stem attached.

    I did weld up a custom one, http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/V2Mod.jpg before we got the CNC
    clamps. Much cheaper to go with the clamp on stem.

    If you think the clamp on is a bit bulky looking, I recently acquired a bunch of long aheadset
    stems and could weld the handlebar end onto a tube. IMHO not worth the extra expense tho.

    BTW I can do custom bends. The bars I make for myself are narrower and deeper than the ones Luke
    sells, but he felt that most customers would find the knee/hand overlap annoying or even dangerous.

    > I sat on (but didn't ride,) a brand new V2 with a set of the new bars while picking up my '01 V2
    > at the BikeRack in St. Charles, IL last November. I was not impressed- they were waaaay to wide
    > for me. I've since talked to Randy at RANS and he said that I must have tried the extra wide
    > configuration. It seems that they will be offering the new bars in 3 different models, so I'll
    > hold judgement till then.

    I see Terra Cycles has cloned the EvoBars too. "Plagarism is the sincerest form of flattery."