new velcro shoes work in toe clips?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Buell, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Mark Buell

    Mark Buell Guest

    I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in the
    past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for answers, and
    others may to.

    I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built up
    with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm running
    out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with laces any
    more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide cleats, but
    will those velcro straps work with toe clips?

    Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
    years and years. I even raced this way.

    TIA Mark

    If you really want a real reply to, pull out all the stops
    mastopsrk_bustopsell(at)yahoo.com

    Have I gotten any spam? Naw, not me.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Buell wrote:

    > I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
    > the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
    > answers, and others may to.
    >
    > I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
    > up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
    > running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
    > laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
    > cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
    >
    > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    > ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
    > years and years. I even raced this way.

    It didn't work well for me. They were Specialized MTB boots
    and the velcro straps tended to snag the straps.

  3. Robert Brown

    Robert Brown Guest

    Mark Buell wrote:

    > I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
    > the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
    > answers, and others may to.
    >
    > I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
    > up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
    > running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
    > laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
    > cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
    >
    > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    > ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
    > years and years. I even raced this way.

    The following is nowhere near the answer to your question,
    but pls read anyway:

    If you're prepared to go the next step to clipless right
    now, I'm convinced that you can build a very simple and
    cheap mod based on Sidi/Look.

    The key is to buy some extra Look cleats and stack them one
    on top of each other, to the desired height. Then find three
    bolts of the same diameter and thread pitch as the original
    equipment, but a lot longer, so that they'll reach through
    all the extra cleats.The result would be a shoe with a cleat
    a few centimetres from the sole, but possible to walk on if
    you build up the heel in a similar fashion; it has a screwed-
    on rubber fitting. For this, you could fashion a small block
    of wood to the right thickness, so that you can walk
    normally (or about as normally as people walk, when they
    have Look cleats on ;-)

    The pedal itself would be completely unmodified.

    One issue I can think of here is that the cleats will slide
    a bit when twisting the foot out of the pedal. To reduce the
    stress on the bolts, I would recommend that you bond the
    cleats to each other using double-sided tape and possibly a
    couple of thin wood screws through the stack. Use a low
    release pressure to further reduce stress. Rough up the
    cleats with 80 grade sandpaper before applying the tape.
    It's possible that super glue gel would bond well.

    Why not try it? Tell us how it goes if you do. If you want,
    I can do a mock-up to show roughly how it would all fit
    together. Email me in that case, removing all three x's from
    my mail address.

    /Robert

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Mark Buell wrote:

    > I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
    > the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
    > answers, and others may to.
    >
    > I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
    > up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
    > running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
    > laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
    > cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
    >
    > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    > ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
    > years and years. I even raced this way.

    You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
    clipless cleat. If you stay with a normal large road cleat
    such as a Look it shouldn't be too hard. I have made a few
    of those from sheets of nylon built up to the required
    thickness.

    Yes, velcro and toeclips are a poor (but not impossible)
    combination. Zefal's MTB toeclips, which are taller and have
    twin strap holders about 50mm apart, instead of one in the
    center, may be easier for you.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
    April, 1971

  5. If you wear a shoe that is a tad smaller then 10, or maybe a
    ten, then I have a pair of leather sidi touring shoes in
    great shape that I can sell you for 50.00 inc. shipping.
    Lace with ridges for "cleat". I have two pair of lorica
    versions that fit my messed up feet better. GJ

    "Mark Buell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
    > the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
    > answers, and others may to.
    >
    > I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
    > up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
    > running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
    > laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
    > cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
    >
    > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    > ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
    > years and years. I even raced this way.
    >
    > TIA Mark
    >
    > If you really want a real reply to, pull out all the stops
    > mastopsrk_bustopsell(at)yahoo.com
    >
    > Have I gotten any spam? Naw, not me.

  6. Mark Buell

    Mark Buell Guest

    Thanks, all.

    Zog The Undeniable says...
    >It didn't work well for me.
    Good input.

    rxobert.bxrown says...
    >I'm convinced that you can build a very simple and cheap
    >mod based on Sidi/Look.
    Thanks, see the next paragraph.

    A Muzi says...
    >You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
    >clipless cleat.
    I guess I will. I met a local fella who has done the
    plastic/nylon block spacer, but for a smaller lift (5/8" vs
    my 1" lift). He's told me of a local supply for the block
    material. I was kinda hoping to keep some of my old stuff
    from becoming completely obsolete. And, I'm concerned about
    the rigidity of the bolted block solution. But this fella
    reports good results.

    gjacobson says...
    > If you wear a shoe that is a tad smaller then 10, or maybe
    > a ten, then I
    I fit a 46-47 European, 11-12.5 US. I think that translates
    "thanks anyway!"

    > > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but
    > > I ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine
    > > for years and years. I even raced this way.

    Thanks again, c ya. Mark

  7. Doug Goncz

    Doug Goncz Guest

    >From: A Muzi [email protected]

    >Yes, velcro and toeclips are a poor (but not impossible)
    >combination. Zefal's MTB toeclips, which are taller and
    >have twin strap holders about 50mm apart, instead of one in
    >the center, may be easier for you.

    Yeah, those are nice. I think my mini-ATB toe clips are
    made by Zefal. I've been using them for years. Lately, I
    wear a pair of nurse's or mailman's shoes with the velcro.
    Soon, I'm getting a much better fit from a leather shoe
    with velcro over at Burlington Coat Factory. I couldn't
    decide when I was there so I am putting it off. I hope they
    don't sell out.

    Anyway, I wear street clothes to cycle. I usually shop and
    do errands, but I hit the trail and work as hard as I can,
    too, and that's not very hard. Velcro and that little toe
    clip work for me. If you ankle, that's different.

    You can also buy different length crank arms.... I have no
    knowledge there.

    My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then
    "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
    fluorescent flywheel inverter

    4-1-9 Fraud
    http://www.secretservice.gov/electronic_evidence.shtml

  8. "Mark Buell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
    > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
    > ain't there yet.

    Why not simply space the cleat out from the shoe?

  9. Mark Buell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A Muzi says...
    > >You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
    > >clipless cleat.
    > I guess I will. I met a local fella who has done the
    > plastic/nylon block spacer, but for a smaller lift (5/8"
    > vs my 1" lift). He's told me of a local supply for the
    > block material. I was kinda hoping to keep some of my old
    > stuff from becoming completely obsolete. And, I'm
    > concerned about the rigidity of the bolted block solution.
    > But this fella reports good results.

    AFAIK, there is a commercial product, used to be called Big
    Meat Pedal Wedges, now Lemond Fitness Pedal Wedges or some
    such, that can be used to add space between cleat and shoe.

    Older Time road pedals used to require a ~1/2" thick adapter
    to use the cleats with Look-pattern shoes, and I don't think
    anyone complained about rigidity.