new velcro shoes work in toe clips?

Mark Buell

Guest
I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in the
past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for answers, and
others may to.

I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built up
with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm running
out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with laces any
more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide cleats, but
will those velcro straps work with toe clips?

Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
years and years. I even raced this way.

TIA Mark

If you really want a real reply to, pull out all the stops
mastopsrk_bustopsell(at)yahoo.com

Have I gotten any spam? Naw, not me.

Mark Buell wrote:

> I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
> the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
> answers, and others may to.
>
> I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
> up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
> running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
> laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
> cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
>
> Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
> ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
> years and years. I even raced this way.

It didn't work well for me. They were Specialized MTB boots
and the velcro straps tended to snag the straps.

Mark Buell wrote:

> I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
> the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
> answers, and others may to.
>
> I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
> up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
> running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
> laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
> cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
>
> Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
> ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
> years and years. I even raced this way.

The following is nowhere near the answer to your question,
but pls read anyway:

If you're prepared to go the next step to clipless right
now, I'm convinced that you can build a very simple and
cheap mod based on Sidi/Look.

The key is to buy some extra Look cleats and stack them one
on top of each other, to the desired height. Then find three
bolts of the same diameter and thread pitch as the original
equipment, but a lot longer, so that they'll reach through
all the extra cleats.The result would be a shoe with a cleat
a few centimetres from the sole, but possible to walk on if
you build up the heel in a similar fashion; it has a screwed-
on rubber fitting. For this, you could fashion a small block
of wood to the right thickness, so that you can walk
normally (or about as normally as people walk, when they
have Look cleats on ;-)

The pedal itself would be completely unmodified.

One issue I can think of here is that the cleats will slide
a bit when twisting the foot out of the pedal. To reduce the
stress on the bolts, I would recommend that you bond the
cleats to each other using double-sided tape and possibly a
couple of thin wood screws through the stack. Use a low
release pressure to further reduce stress. Rough up the
cleats with 80 grade sandpaper before applying the tape.
It's possible that super glue gel would bond well.

Why not try it? Tell us how it goes if you do. If you want,
I can do a mock-up to show roughly how it would all fit
together. Email me in that case, removing all three x's from
my mail address.

/Robert

Mark Buell wrote:

> I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
> the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
> answers, and others may to.
>
> I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
> up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
> running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
> laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
> cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
>
> Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
> ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
> years and years. I even raced this way.

You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
clipless cleat. If you stay with a normal large road cleat
such as a Look it shouldn't be too hard. I have made a few
of those from sheets of nylon built up to the required
thickness.

Yes, velcro and toeclips are a poor (but not impossible)
combination. Zefal's MTB toeclips, which are taller and have
twin strap holders about 50mm apart, instead of one in the
center, may be easier for you.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

If you wear a shoe that is a tad smaller then 10, or maybe a
ten, then I have a pair of leather sidi touring shoes in
great shape that I can sell you for 50.00 inc. shipping.
Lace with ridges for "cleat". I have two pair of lorica
versions that fit my messed up feet better. GJ

"Mark Buell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to hear from some of y'all who've tried this in
> the past. Andy and Mike should have a good idea for
> answers, and others may to.
>
> I'm still using toe clips 'cause I've got one pedal built
> up with sheet aluminum to accomodate a short leg. I'm
> running out of shoes, and don't see many offerings with
> laces any more. I know Andy of Yellow Jersey can provide
> cleats, but will those velcro straps work with toe clips?
>
> Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
> ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine for
> years and years. I even raced this way.
>
> TIA Mark
>
> If you really want a real reply to, pull out all the stops
> mastopsrk_bustopsell(at)yahoo.com
>
> Have I gotten any spam? Naw, not me.

Thanks, all.

Zog The Undeniable says...
>It didn't work well for me.
Good input.

rxobert.bxrown says...
>I'm convinced that you can build a very simple and cheap
>mod based on Sidi/Look.
Thanks, see the next paragraph.

A Muzi says...
>You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
>clipless cleat.
I guess I will. I met a local fella who has done the
plastic/nylon block spacer, but for a smaller lift (5/8" vs
my 1" lift). He's told me of a local supply for the block
material. I was kinda hoping to keep some of my old stuff
from becoming completely obsolete. And, I'm concerned about
the rigidity of the bolted block solution. But this fella
reports good results.

gjacobson says...
> If you wear a shoe that is a tad smaller then 10, or maybe
> a ten, then I
I fit a 46-47 European, 11-12.5 US. I think that translates
"thanks anyway!"

> > Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> > approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but
> > I ain't there yet. Current approach has worked just fine
> > for years and years. I even raced this way.

Thanks again, c ya. Mark

>From: A Muzi [email protected]

>Yes, velcro and toeclips are a poor (but not impossible)
>combination. Zefal's MTB toeclips, which are taller and
>have twin strap holders about 50mm apart, instead of one in
>the center, may be easier for you.

Yeah, those are nice. I think my mini-ATB toe clips are
made by Zefal. I've been using them for years. Lately, I
wear a pair of nurse's or mailman's shoes with the velcro.
Soon, I'm getting a much better fit from a leather shoe
with velcro over at Burlington Coat Factory. I couldn't
decide when I was there so I am putting it off. I hope they
don't sell out.

Anyway, I wear street clothes to cycle. I usually shop and
do errands, but I hit the trail and work as hard as I can,
too, and that's not very hard. Velcro and that little toe
clip work for me. If you ankle, that's different.

You can also buy different length crank arms.... I have no
knowledge there.

My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then
"dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
fluorescent flywheel inverter

4-1-9 Fraud
http://www.secretservice.gov/electronic_evidence.shtml

"Mark Buell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sometime soon I'm going to try a different mechanical
> approach that will permit me to use clipless pedals, but I
> ain't there yet.

Why not simply space the cleat out from the shoe?

Mark Buell <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi says...
> >You should pursue a spacer between a modern shoe and a
> >clipless cleat.
> I guess I will. I met a local fella who has done the
> plastic/nylon block spacer, but for a smaller lift (5/8"
> vs my 1" lift). He's told me of a local supply for the
> block material. I was kinda hoping to keep some of my old
> stuff from becoming completely obsolete. And, I'm
> concerned about the rigidity of the bolted block solution.
> But this fella reports good results.

AFAIK, there is a commercial product, used to be called Big
Meat Pedal Wedges, now Lemond Fitness Pedal Wedges or some
such, that can be used to add space between cleat and shoe.

Older Time road pedals used to require a ~1/2" thick adapter
to use the cleats with Look-pattern shoes, and I don't think
anyone complained about rigidity.