New Volae model

Doc Musekamp wrote:

> http://www.volaerecumbents.com/volae_recumbents.php

I just looked at the specs page - http://www.volaerecumbents.com/2004_specs.php - and for the Team
model, they list the tires as Continental GP Supersonic. I know that these are the lightest and
lowest rolling resistance clincher tires around, but they are definetly not for everyday use. These
are race-only tires that offer very little puncture protection, and wear out very quickly. I believe
it says "race use only" right on the box. I know they are trying to save as much weight as possible,
but that is not the way to do it.

May have been from me, John, as I was told they were developing one and posted that here...Maybe
they'll offer it as an option later in the season ?

Doc

"john riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Doc Musekamp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> > Tour 26.... announced on website..specs for it and the rest of the '04 models...No photos yet...
> >
> > http://www.volaerecumbents.com/volae_recumbents.php
>
> Somewhere I got the impression that they were going to offer a mesh back seat. I guess not.
>
> John Riley

I've been lucky with my Supersonics. I ride on quality paved roads and
trails. When I asked Rolf Garthus for a suggestion for an alternative to
the Supersonics on my Volae Team, he said:

you may want to switch to Conti Gran Prix 3000 tires when you wear out the Supersonics. The 3000 has
almost as much durability as the Gatorskin and almost as much rolling efficiency as the Supersonic.
- Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

news:[email protected]...

Robert Siegel wrote:
> I've been lucky with my Supersonics. I ride on quality paved roads and trails. When I asked Rolf
> Garthus for a suggestion for an alternative to the Supersonics on my Volae Team, he said:
>
> you may want to switch to Conti Gran Prix 3000 tires when you wear out the Supersonics. The 3000
> has almost as much durability as the Gatorskin and almost as much rolling efficiency as the
> Supersonic.

From the 2004 Continental tires catalogue
(http://www.contitires.com/Downloads/2004_Conti.pdf), page 4:

"Always a trade-off between performance and durability, radically optimizing tires in terms of
weight and rolling resistance means reduced materials throughout. As a result, Supersonic technology
is intended for race day only, and is not intended for extended training miles and everyday
conditions."

It would be good for Volae to offer a Vision seat as an option.

I have the GatorSkins on my Club and you'd have to pry them out of my cold dead hands to get me to
change. I just replaced my rear tire after nearly 4,000 miles and did not have one flat (knock on
wood). I ride fairly smooth pavement but have plenty of railroad tracks and cracked pavement. Also,
our share of broken glass. Tracks and cracks probably don't contribute much to wear, but they can
cause pinch flats on some tires. I run the GatorSkins at 110 psi and can't image that another tire
would make any appreciable difference for the kind of general touring that I do. I would like to see
a 650 25c GatorSkin, however.