New way of Fixing Flated Tire

Red Cloud

Guest
I'm a old bicycle rider only know old way of fixing flated tire.
I went to stor and saw new product of fixing flated tire.
One is using CO2 and other is like injecting some materials.
Can anyone explain to be how these products work?

On 14 Apr 2004 23:47:03 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
wrote:
> I went to stor and saw new product of fixing flated tire.
> One is using CO2 and other is like injecting some materials.
> Can anyone explain to be how these products work?

Simple. Nothing to it:

Compressed CO2 is used in place of air from a pump to fill the tire,
to save effort and time, but costs money and requires you to carry
enough CO2 cartridges for any repairs you expect.

The injection stuff, often named "Slime", is just stuff you put in
through the valve in hopes of sealing a minor leak without having to
dismount the tire and patch or replace the tube.

A product that combines both items has existed for many years now,
usually called "fix-a-flat", in an aerosol can, sold mostly for
automotive use. CO2 inflators and Slime have been around while too.
--
Rick Onanian

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> On 14 Apr 2004 23:47:03 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
> wrote:
> > I went to stor and saw new product of fixing flated tire.
> > One is using CO2 and other is like injecting some materials.
> > Can anyone explain to be how these products work?

> Simple. Nothing to it:
>
> Compressed CO2 is used in place of air from a pump to fill the tire,
> to save effort and time, but costs money and requires you to carry
> enough CO2 cartridges for any repairs you expect.
>
> The injection stuff, often named "Slime", is just stuff you put in
> through the valve in hopes of sealing a minor leak without having to
> dismount the tire and patch or replace the tube.
>
> A product that combines both items has existed for many years now,
> usually called "fix-a-flat", in an aerosol can, sold mostly for
> automotive use. CO2 inflators and Slime have been around while too.
> --
> Rick Onanian

CO2 is only to be used to get home. CO2 affects the rubber from your tire.

bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

What does the CO2 do to the rubber?

"Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 14 Apr 2004 23:47:03 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
> > wrote:
> > > I went to stor and saw new product of fixing flated tire.
> > > One is using CO2 and other is like injecting some materials.
> > > Can anyone explain to be how these products work?

> > Simple. Nothing to it:
> >
> > Compressed CO2 is used in place of air from a pump to fill the tire,
> > to save effort and time, but costs money and requires you to carry
> > enough CO2 cartridges for any repairs you expect.
> >
> > The injection stuff, often named "Slime", is just stuff you put in
> > through the valve in hopes of sealing a minor leak without having to
> > dismount the tire and patch or replace the tube.
> >
> > A product that combines both items has existed for many years now,
> > usually called "fix-a-flat", in an aerosol can, sold mostly for
> > automotive use. CO2 inflators and Slime have been around while too.
> > --
> > Rick Onanian

> CO2 is only to be used to get home. CO2 affects the rubber from your tire.
>
> bert
>

> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Bert L.am" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> CO2 is only to be used to get home. CO2 affects the rubber from your tire.

The noted bike un-authority, Carapace Completed Umber, notes CO2 will make
your bike heavier
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/carapace-2.html

I hadn't heard anything about tire damage; I just avoid using CO2 because
I'm cheap.

I've used the "Fix a Flat" type stuff in auto tires, though, as a way of
solving slow leaks. Seemed to solve the problem.

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 14 Apr 2004 23:47:03 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
> wrote:
> > I went to stor and saw new product of fixing flated tire.
> > One is using CO2 and other is like injecting some materials.
> > Can anyone explain to be how these products work?

> Simple. Nothing to it:
>
> Compressed CO2 is used in place of air from a pump to fill the tire,
> to save effort and time, but costs money and requires you to carry
> enough CO2 cartridges for any repairs you expect.
>
> The injection stuff, often named "Slime", is just stuff you put in
> through the valve in hopes of sealing a minor leak without having to
> dismount the tire and patch or replace the tube.
>
> A product that combines both items has existed for many years now,
> usually called "fix-a-flat", in an aerosol can, sold mostly for
> automotive use. CO2 inflators and Slime have been around while too.

I don't get it how CO2 could fix the hole in the tire?

What you saying is "fix-a-flat" aerosol is the best to fix a flated tire?

On 15 Apr 2004 23:57:45 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
wrote:
>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Compressed CO2 is used in place of air from a pump to fill the tire,
>>
>> The injection stuff, often named "Slime", is just stuff you put in
>> through the valve in hopes of sealing a minor leak without having to
>>
>> A product that combines both items has existed for many years now,
>> usually called "fix-a-flat", in an aerosol can, sold mostly for

> I don't get it how CO2 could fix the hole in the tire?

It fixes the hole the same way that air fixes the hole: not at all.
It just fills the tire after you fix the hole.

> What you saying is "fix-a-flat" aerosol is the best to fix a flated tire?

No, a new tube and an air compressor are the best way to fix a flat.
A pump or CO2 inflator, and a patch kit, are good too. Fix-a-flat is
great if you're lazy but don't mind carrying around an aerosol can.
--
Rick Onanian

[email protected] (Red Cloud) writes:

> What you saying is "fix-a-flat" aerosol is the best to fix a flated tire?

By the way, I think you mean "deflated" or perhaps "flatted".
"flated" isn't an English word.
--
"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."
--Ovid (43 BC-18 AD)

> What you saying is "fix-a-flat" aerosol is the best to fix a flated tire?

I certainly would not go that far. For one think, nothing is really
"fixed" -- all that has happened is that a slow leak has been
temporarily stopped.

With low pressure tires (about 40 psi), Fix-A-Flat has, in the past,
worked well for me as a temporary, "get home" alternative. I have not
had good results with Slime.

Paul

Ben Pfaff <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]
> [email protected] (Red Cloud) writes:
>
>> What you saying is "fix-a-flat" aerosol is the best to fix a flated
>> tire?

> By the way, I think you mean "deflated" or perhaps "flatted".
> "flated" isn't an English word.

"Punctured".

HTH

--