New Wheel Advice for new bike Shimano RS10 comes stock

tafkam

Dec 26, 2010
Hello, I am getting a new road bike and am considering replacing the wheels and I wanted to get some advice here as I am still a novice cyclist and know very little about parts.

I started riding a bike last summer (I had a steel Masi Speciale) and I weighed around 240 lbs at that time. I now am down to 180 lbs and probably will eventually drop to around 170 but that is about it. That Masi had Ritchey DS wheels that held up very well but they were kind of an entry level type I think.

I wanted to upgrade my bike and put a 2010 Jamis Xenith Endura 2 in layaway. I liked this bike as it had a “relaxed” geometry as with the Masi I always had neck pain issues since it was more racing geometry. I ride on bike trails and side streets, I do not race nor plan to, and my rides are usually 15 mph anywhere from 10-30 miles. I did 47 miles once and it just about killed me, but I want to do a 50 this summer and a century eventually.

The Jamis comes stock with Shimano RS10 wheels and 700x25 Rubino Pro tires.

I did some research on the wheel set and the reviews are not that great. I am thinking of upgrading the wheel set, and I want something that will be sturdy and reliable, light weight would be nice but not my biggest concern.

I want to keep around $600 tops for the set and here is what I am considering, please let me know of your thoughts or other recommendations”

• American Classic Victory 30 with Titanium skewers (these wheels are actually stock on the 2011 version of my bike, the Endura 3) no titanium skews that would be an upgrade I would choose
• Shimano Ultegra
• Shimano RS 80
• Easton EA90 SL
• Mavic Ksyrium
• Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. I don’t think I am above the weight limit for any of these, I know the American Classics said 240 pounds and I don’t plan on being that heavy again.

I read on one of the reviews that the Shimano wheels, at least the RS10's that come on my bike, have proprietary nipples or spokes or something like that? If I decide to replace the wheels I think I would want to go with something that parts could be found for easily, as I believe the review said that sometimes the Shimano replacement wheel parts were hard to find.

Thanks
Mike

For the kind of riding you are doing, I don't think you really need to upgrade your wheels. However, if for some reason, you really want to, then my vote is for the mavic kyseriums.

Thanks I appreciate it. I am not dead set on the upgrade, but like I said some of the reviews of the RS 10 wheels were kind of scary to me, broken spokes, going out of true, etc and I was just weighing my options. I see now from further research and some of the other responders to my posts that the build quality is important too, as well as proper tensioning. I was not aware of these factors just looking at if from a "good wheel" "bad wheel" type of perspective. Why would you say the kyseriums over the Open Pro w/ultgegra hubs? Reason I as is that I am pricing these at Coloroado Cyclist and they are within my price range and are custom hand build, which again from what I have read may be better than just geting them stock from a place like Nashbar or Performance.

I have heard good things about the kyseriums also.

I don't have experience with the Open Pro. The reason I suggested the kyseriums is because I know that they fit your criteria - a dependable bullet proof well-built wheel that will last forever. There are lighter, faster, more aero wheels out there, but the kyseriums seem to fit the bill for you. I know many many people who have been very happy with them.

Thanks again, one other question though, I know there are different flavors of that wheel, like the SL, equipe, elite, etc. Any particular one you recommend or just the kyserium in general?

When I bought my newest bike I changed the wheels from a Shimano 105 (this was the stock wheel they were selling) to Kysrium Elites. I'm happy with the Elites and I haven't had any problems with them. In retrospect I'm not sure there's any real advantage to the Elites but I know if I didn't do the upgrade I would have been unhappy so it was well worth the extra money to me. I also got the version with black spokes since my bike is black.

I also have an Open Pro laced around a PowerTap (again with black spokes). Between the three sets mentioned here I prefer the Elites.

Be sure to do the wheel change when you buy the bike so you get a credit for the returned wheels.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Be sure to do the wheel change when you buy the bike so you get a credit for the returned wheels.
+1

I am willing to bet without even looking it up that you could get the next level up in the group of bike you are looking at for less than 600 more bucks. For that money you may be able to get better wheels and better shifting components.
As far as Shimano wheels go I love the set that I have and have had ZERO complaints and 7000 miles on them. Contrary to the reviews you are reading Shimano is not a fly by night outfit that has no support for their products. Every bike shop I have ever walked into is a Shimano sales service center.

Originally Posted by tafkam .

Thanks again, one other question though, I know there are different flavors of that wheel, like the SL, equipe, elite, etc. Any particular one you recommend or just the kyserium in general?

I'd get the sl's, but have also ridden the elites and like both wheels.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Unfortunately the bike is a "demo" model with about 500 miles on it already, but I am getting a pretty steep discount on it and the full factory warranty, so I have not talked to the shop yet about the wheels, but they probably will not be interested in keeping them for a trade or credit. I am not even sure what brands of wheels they carry or if I would want to get them there in the first place, as prices tend to be much better on line. I may just end up keeping the Shimanos that are on there for a while anyway, and just see how they do. Some of the resonses I have gotten indicate that if the spokes are tensioned correctly and if I keep the tires properely inflated I should not have any issues with teh Shimano RS10's that come with the bike.

Thanks
Mike

better prices on line are for certain , but then you will have to do the install yourself or pay for labor at your LBS . Not that it is hard to do - you just need the correct tool for the rear cassette . Speaking of cassettes - make sure the cassette that comes on your knew bike is the appropriate one for your type of riding . maybe if you group a couple of items together for purchase , your LBS might be able to be more competitive . cassette change usually costs 10 or 20 $ at my LBS . ( did you ask them if they would price match ) .

Maddogbubba,

Thanks for the response, actually I had already ordered a spare cassette on line, and I decided to either pick up some Easton EA90 SLX that Performance has on sale, or get some of the same model with ceramic bearings online. I will then use the rear stock wheel/cassette with a dedicated training tire for that, and either keep the stock front wheel or stick it on *bay.

Thanks again to everyone that replied it has made my decision much easier.

Mike