New Wheel Causing Brake Noise

Ottodog

Guest
I have a new wheelset (Velocity Arrowhead), and the front wheel causes a noise when I brake. It's a
pulsating noise, that seems to happen at one spot per revolution. To me it appears that it might be
the seam where the wheel is joined, is not completely smooth. I guess my question is, should I
return it?, or will eventually smooth out from braking? It's a rubber "growling" sound, so I'm
afraid it's just going to eat up my pads. Also is there anything I can use to smooth the joint?

Thanks,

Chris

ottodog-<< It's a pulsating noise, that seems to happen at one spot per revolution. >><BR><BR>

A bit of emery paper or light grit sandpaper and smooth the joint-

ottodog wrote:

>I have a new wheelset (Velocity Arrowhead), and the front wheel causes a noise when I brake. It's a
>pulsating noise, that seems to happen at one spot per revolution. To me it appears that it might be
>the seam where the wheel is joined, is not completely smooth. I guess my question is, should I
>return it?, or will eventually smooth out from braking? It's a rubber "growling" sound, so I'm
>afraid it's just going to eat up my pads. Also is there anything I can use to smooth the joint?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris

If the edges overhang a bit at the joint sometimes it can help to turn the wheel so it rotates the
other direction. Also make sure the brake pads are not contacting the tire at any point during the
wheel's rotation.