New wheel for 25yr old frame

hose

Guest
I have a wheel I bought 25 years ago from Wheelsmith with 1000's of
miles on it. It's been a great wheel. It's got an old Shimano 5 speed
freewheel and I've upgraded my components thru the years so now they
are almost completely Shimano Dura Ace 7700. I plan to buy a new frame
next year and realize I'll have to buy a new wheel and cassette too. I
really need a new wheel as I have broken a spoke and haven't had any
luck getting it radially trued. My frame is a Reynolds 531 58cm and
seems to be really flexible. Do you think I could get a new wheel and
9sp cassette to fit in this frame without permanantly bending it? I
don't want to have to do that.

hose wrote:
>. Do you think I could get a new wheel and
> 9sp cassette to fit in this frame without permanantly bending it?

Yup. But the dropouts wouldn't be parallel. Get it cold set or do it
yourself with a 2x4. Takes a couple minutes. Align the drops with a big
crescent wrench.

hose wrote:
> I have a wheel I bought 25 years ago from Wheelsmith with 1000's of
> miles on it. It's been a great wheel. It's got an old Shimano 5 speed
> freewheel and I've upgraded my components thru the years so now they
> are almost completely Shimano Dura Ace 7700. I plan to buy a new frame
> next year and realize I'll have to buy a new wheel and cassette too. I
> really need a new wheel as I have broken a spoke and haven't had any
> luck getting it radially trued. My frame is a Reynolds 531 58cm and
> seems to be really flexible. Do you think I could get a new wheel and
> 9sp cassette to fit in this frame without permanantly bending it?

no, while you might be able to squeeze it in, permanent re-setting is
the way to go. not doing that will mean riding with things like the
dropouts and the axle overly stressed and fatigue may become an issue.
wheel bearings tend to flake out prematurely in this situation too.

> don't want to have to do that.

hate to say it, but the best thing is to replace the frame. economic
aluminum frames are easy to come by and don't have all that problem with
excessive torsional flex. oh, and your 9-speeds suddenly become "not a
problem".