New Wheel-set or Components?

Buckeyes

Dec 17, 2009
I am going to upgrade my Bianchi 928 carbon. Right now it has Mavic Aksium wheel-set and 105's for the components. I was wondering what would be a better upgrade as far as performance? I would most likely go with the new Shimano Ultegra's for the components or something along the line of Mavic Ksyrium SL's for the wheel-set. Let me know what you think or if you have any other suggestions, thanks.

I don't think I worded this very well. I am only going to do one or the other. I was wondering should I upgrade the wheels or the components? I don't have the money to do them both at the same time so I was trying to get some input on which would make the biggest difference right off the bat.

good choices but i will cost you some, hopefully you can trade in the 105's groupset or sell it to a friend to amortize a bit,
for the wheels i would keep the Aksiums as a spare set,

Wheelset first.

Go to your LBS and get a demo to try. The difference between your stock wheels and higher end wheels will be substantial. The difference between your 105 and Ultegra will not be as noticeable. Spend a lot of time trying wheelsets and pick what feels best for you.

I agree with Cicatric, go with the wheels. I am already planning the same upgrade for my LOOK 566 that came with Aksium races. I have put my 6 year old Ksyrium Elites on and that made a big difference. My old Elites weigh the same as the new Races. When I get the Ksyrium SLs the improvement should be even better.

None of the above.

You'll not notice a huge difference when riding the Ksyrium SL's Vs the Ask-me-ums. I don't notice any difference between riding my Ksyrium SL Premium front wheel and a 36 spoke Campag Chorus hub on Campag Lambda V built in 1987...

But wait for a deal for a PowerTap equiped rear wheel from somewhere like Competitive Cyclist for ~$699 and you'll get a wheel that can actually help you go faster - both in terms of actual performance and using it to determine fun things like pacing and aerodynamic efficiency. Tack on about $100 and get WKO+ and you'll have the ultimate training diary that not only records litterally your every pedal stroke but can also kinda sorta predict the future... Spooky.

Instead of thinking you're going better - you'll know. The days of "subjective" will be gone. Hands down one of the best purchases you could make for a bike. To top it off, the brains behind WKO+ (Hunter/Coggan) post on this board... ;)

I agree with Sawmpy1970.

----

If you want to upgrade something, buy cassettes that give you the gears you are missing.