New wheels for your folder?

Mark T

Guest
Want a wheely good folder?

I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel

<www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Mark T
> pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid
> says...
>> Want a wheely good folder?
>>
>> I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel
>>

>> <www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>
>>

> More of a squish than a fold really - I can see it might be useful for a
> wheelchair, but a bike?

It could be useful where space is a real premium, e.g. flying, but
probably not as good for every day use. If I used one I would be worried
that it would decide to fold as I as doing 30mph.

On Feb 3, 1:27 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Mark T
> > pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid
> > says...
> >> Want a wheely good folder?

> >> I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel

> >> <www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

> > More of a squish than a fold really - I can see it might be useful for a
> > wheelchair, but a bike?

> More of a solution in search of a problem?

True but it looks like about the most sensible design originated idea
for a bicycle that I've seen in a long time. Most "brilliant" ideas
from designers are something that didn't work 100 years ago or are
something that no real cyclist would ever use.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On Feb 3, 6:27 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Mark T
> > pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid
> > says...
> >> Want a wheely good folder?

> >> I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel

> >> <www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

> > More of a squish than a fold really - I can see it might be useful for a
> > wheelchair, but a bike?

> More of a solution in search of a problem?

Maybe useful if you want to ride under a low bridge !!!!

http://virtualcycling.googlepages.com

Mark T wrote:

>Want a wheely good folder?
>
>I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel
>

><www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

"...smaller wheels can fold up very well but are slower, less stable
and less comfortable than a full size bike."

There are ways around those problems.

In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
[email protected] says...
> Mark T wrote:
>
> >Want a wheely good folder?
> >
> >I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel
> >

> ><www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

> "...smaller wheels can fold up very well but are slower, less stable
> and less comfortable than a full size bike."
>
> There are ways around those problems.

And they're called Moultons. ;-)

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark T wrote:
>
>>Want a wheely good folder?
>>
>>I present to you <fanfare> the Folding Wheel
>>

>><www.duncfitz.co.uk/wheel.html>

> "...smaller wheels can fold up very well but are slower, less stable
> and less comfortable than a full size bike."
>
> There are ways around those problems.

What is the way around the stability problem? My Birdy feels less stable at
speed (30 mph+) than my road bike.

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> "...smaller wheels can fold up very well but are slower, less stable
>> and less comfortable than a full size bike."
>>
>> There are ways around those problems.

> What is the way around the stability problem? My Birdy feels less stable
> at speed (30 mph+) than my road bike.

Is that because of the small wheels or other geometry though?

cheers,
clive

In article <[email protected]>, Adam Lea
[email protected] says...

> What is the way around the stability problem? My Birdy feels less stable at
> speed (30 mph+) than my road bike.

Put the bikes next to each other and compare wheelbase, angles, riding
position ...