New wheels makes bike feel different

Scott'sTrek1000

Jul 28, 2004
I just purchased some Velocity Spartacus wheels and (1st time on them today) noticed a difference in the way the bike "felt." It was weird. It was like it was a totally different bike. I went from the stock wheels that come on the 2004 trek, to these and it just feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different. I could notice a little less rolling resistance, the bike felt taller, and my gearing felt totally different. I usually ride on the big ring and had to switch to the middle ring with the new wheels, as the gearing felt taller. I must agree that WHEELS MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I just purchased some Velocity Spartacus wheels and (1st time on them today) noticed a difference in the way the bike "felt." It was weird. It was like it was a totally different bike. I went from the stock wheels that come on the 2004 trek, to these and it just feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different. I could notice a little less rolling resistance, the bike felt taller, and my gearing felt totally different. I usually ride on the big ring and had to switch to the middle ring with the new wheels, as the gearing felt taller. I must agree that WHEELS MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
It gets better better when you you put tires and tubes on em.

Did you go to better wheels? Also, did you use the same cassette on the new wheels or a new one? If you got a new cassette on the new wheels, the cassette may have a different ratio. That will cause the bigest diffence in feel.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Does IMAO stand for "In my a**hole opinion?"
First of all, you have it incorrect, it's LMAO, unless of course you modified for the purpose of taking some "shot" at me.

Second of all, if you'll notice, I didn't offer an opinion at all regarding your post on the addition of new wheels. my "laughter" was in response to Boudreaux's post, and if I were you, I wouldn't assume the laughter was directed at you in any way. (I get the impression you do).

Third, I just changed wheels myself. I went from Ksyrium Equipes to Velomax Circuits. After approximately 100 miles I can't say that I noticed that much difference. Theoretically, the Circuits are 200 grams or so lighter, but if it made a difference in the speed of the bike, it was small enough that I didn't really feel it. I DO think, to a slight extent, that it rides smoother over the bumps, perhaps a little more vertical compliance. I wouldn't take that too mean a less stiff wheel laterally however, I didn't perceive any decrease in that.

The BIGGEST, and very pleasing, difference is the lack of sound from the rear hub while freewheeling, it's nearly silent when compared with the Equipe. Although it wasn't the basis for switching wheelsets, it's probably the reason I would choose to do it again if presented with the same opportunity.

Aside from that they "look" better in my opinion on my Allez, they're red/white which matches the color scheme from the bike.

One thing I didn't notice in your original post, was whether you thought the change was better or worse. As I read it, I just understood that you could tell a difference...good or bad?

Cheers,

John

Mansmind said:
First of all, you have it incorrect, it's LMAO, unless of course you modified for the purpose of taking some "shot" at me.

Second of all, if you'll notice, I didn't offer an opinion at all regarding your post on the addition of new wheels. my "laughter" was in response to Boudreaux's post, and if I were you, I wouldn't assume the laughter was directed at you in any way. (I get the impression you do).
Suppose he doesn't know the difference between an l and an I?

Mansmind said:

Third, I just changed wheels myself. I went from Ksyrium Equipes to Velomax Circuits. After approximately 100 miles I can't say that I noticed that much difference. Theoretically, the Circuits are 200 grams or so lighter, but if it made a difference in the speed of the bike, it was small enough that I didn't really feel it. I DO think, to a slight extent, that it rides smoother over the bumps, perhaps a little more vertical compliance. I wouldn't take that too mean a less stiff wheel laterally however, I didn't perceive any decrease in that.

The BIGGEST, and very pleasing, difference is the lack of sound from the rear hub while freewheeling, it's nearly silent when compared with the Equipe. Although it wasn't the basis for switching wheelsets, it's probably the reason I would choose to do it again if presented with the same opportunity.

Aside from that they "look" better in my opinion on my Allez, they're red/white which matches the color scheme from the bike.

One thing I didn't notice in your original post, was whether you thought the change was better or worse. As I read it, I just understood that you could tell a difference...good or bad?

Cheers,

John

If you were (lmoa), then you were encouraging boudreaux, therefore, inadvertently taking a shot. You shouldn't encourage the simple-minded. Now back to business. I am happier with the new wheels. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the cassette was different, although I am not sure why the lbs would have put a different one on my bike. He DID make the comment that it is an 8 speed cassette and that he was going to take the little plastic guard off (if i didn't mind). He is a really nice older guy that is trying to help me, so I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped something "better" on in regards to the cassette. Like I said, my first ride on it and I had to use a totally different ring (smaller), to get the same feel as before. I think the wheels may be a little taller than the old, as the tire was a tighter fit to get back on.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I think the wheels may be a little taller than the old, as the tire was a tighter fit to get back on.
The bead seat diameter is the same and that's what matters.You won't think taking the spoke guard off is a keen idea, the first time you overshift the big cog and get a chain in the spokes.That lkely won't happen if whoever fiddles with the RD knows what they are doing.

"I think the wheels may be a little taller than the old, as the tire was a tighter fit to get back on."

WTF?? Huh???

capwater said:
"I think the wheels may be a little taller than the old, as the tire was a tighter fit to get back on."

WTF?? Huh???
Careful, someone will think you are taking a crack. ;)

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
If you were (lmoa), then you were encouraging boudreaux, therefore, inadvertently taking a shot. You shouldn't encourage the simple-minded.
Understanding (now) you're point of view regarding Boudreaux's post, I can tell you that our "respective" perceptions regarding his post are different. Enough said though, it's water under the bridge.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Now back to business. I am happier with the new wheels. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the cassette was different, although I am not sure why the lbs would have put a different one on my bike. He DID make the comment that it is an 8 speed cassette and that he was going to take the little plastic guard off (if i didn't mind). He is a really nice older guy that is trying to help me, so I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped something "better" on in regards to the cassette. Like I said, my first ride on it and I had to use a totally different ring (smaller), to get the same feel as before. I think the wheels may be a little taller than the old, as the tire was a tighter fit to get back on.
On the surface, it SOUNDS like you DO have a different cassette, but I'm not clear from reading your post on whether you have verified this or not. On the one hand, it appears you didn't realize you had an 8-speed cassette until the LBS told you. True? If that's the case, are you now sure that the cassette is the same one, or at least the same size (size referring to the actual cog sizes..number of teeth on each cog)? That's the only reason I can think of that you would have to actually use a different chain ring to get what feels to be the same gearing ratios.

As far as the diameter/circumference of the rear wheel. If the tire fit at all, you're not looking at enough difference to cause a noticible ratio change, especially having to move to a significantly smaller chain ring. i.e. Boudreaux's post on bead seat diameter.

I'm assuming the wheel spins freely on it's axle?

John

Mansmind said:
Understanding (now) you're point of view regarding Boudreaux's post, I can tell you that our "respective" perceptions regarding his post are different. Enough said though, it's water under the bridge.

On the surface, it SOUNDS like you DO have a different cassette, but I'm not clear from reading your post on whether you have verified this or not. On the one hand, it appears you didn't realize you had an 8-speed cassette until the LBS told you. True? If that's the case, are you now sure that the cassette is the same one, or at least the same size (size referring to the actual cog sizes..number of teeth on each cog)? That's the only reason I can think of that you would have to actually use a different chain ring to get what feels to be the same gearing ratios.

As far as the diameter/circumference of the rear wheel. If the tire fit at all, you're not looking at enough difference to cause a noticible ratio change, especially having to move to a significantly smaller chain ring. i.e. Boudreaux's post on bead seat diameter.

I'm assuming the wheel spins freely on it's axle?

John

I don't know. I haven't looked at my cassette, as I never would have thought anything would be different. I will look at it though. All I know is (before the new wheels) if I were to ride on the middle ring like I had to yesterday, I would have pedaling my A$$ off, but I'm not now. Maybe he told me that I had an 8 speed because that's what he replaced my old with? Heck, I don't know.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
I don't know. I haven't looked at my cassette, as I never would have thought anything would be different. I will look at it though. All I know is (before the new wheels) if I were to ride on the middle ring like I had to yesterday, I would have pedaling my A$$ off, but I'm not now. Maybe he told me that I had an 8 speed because that's what he replaced my old with? Heck, I don't know.
I highly suspect this is where you'll find your gearing difference. I'd be curious to learn if you find it's something else though.

John

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Maybe he told me that I had an 8 speed because that's what he replaced my old with? Heck, I don't know.
It came with an 8 speed. If he had put a 7 or 9 on it you would have bigger issues.