Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

new wheels--old bike

Started by Xsmoker · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,134 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 January 2005
Last activity
7 January 2005
Original author
Xsmoker
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,134
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My daughter gave me some new hoops for Christmas-open pro (black)-I'd like to lace them to black 105 hubs. I looked around and can't find a NOS or used 126mm black hub. Problem is my frame is Al with 126mm dropout width. Can I mount a 7sp hyperglide free hub to the new 105 hub and use a axle designed for 126mm dropouts?

  2. Hey boudreaux, buddy, any insight?

  3. Xsmoker said:

    My daughter gave me some new hoops for Christmas-open pro (black)-I'd like to lace them to black 105 hubs. I looked around and can't find a NOS or used 126mm black hub. Problem is my frame is Al with 126mm dropout width. Can I mount a 7sp hyperglide free hub to the new 105 hub and use a axle designed for 126mm dropouts?

    "Virtually all Shimano freehub bodies are interchangeable. The exceptions are:
    Very early freehubs (identifiable by the absence of the typical bulge on the right end of the hub barrel) which have non-interchangeable bodies.
    Although most bodies are interchangeable at the hub shell, you may have further complications due to incompatibility between your right side cone and the dustcap that comes with a replacement body. The dust caps can usually be pried out and interchanged, or you can buy an appropriate right cone to match your new ratchet body."
    From Sheldon Brown's site at URL:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

    A call to Sheldon at Harris Cyclery or Andrew Muzi at Yellow Jersey, Ltd.
    419 State Street
    Madison, WI 53703
    (608) 257-4737
    (608) 257-7733
    should give you the answer on swapping axles and the specifics on the cassettte body / freehub swap paticulars.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.