New wheels with no rim probs. Advice pls?

rwsh

Jun 12, 2004
I am ordering a new custom carbon road bike. Looking for wheels in the $600 - $900 range. Currently using Campy Neutrons which are v. good except for minor truing, rotating aero spokes and v. difficult to get on/off rims. Did consider Velomax/Easton Orion but I hear of many cracked rims (at spoke hole). Some Mavic rims also have had rim problems and I do not want the very bladed spokes. Thought about Rolf Primas but I do not know them well. I weigh 175-180 pounds and I am rather hard on equipment. Robust build perhaps more important than ultra-light. Any advice or recommendations very much appreciated. Many thanks for reading/replying. William.

rwsh said:
Did consider Velomax/Easton Orion but I hear of many cracked rims (at spoke hole). Some Mavic rims also have had rim problems and I do not want the very bladed spokes.
Two friends have each had two broken spokes on Velomax wheels, so while not rim problems, neither trusts the wheels much any more. I have had eyelet cracks on DT RR1.1 rims. I've never had a problem with Mavic rims. (I'm lighter than you, 138-140lbs.) You're probably aware that Ksyriums are widely regarded as just about "bomb proof."

rwsh said:
I am ordering a new custom carbon road bike. Looking for wheels in the $600 - $900 range. Currently using Campy Neutrons which are v. good except for minor truing, rotating aero spokes and v. difficult to get on/off rims. Did consider Velomax/Easton Orion but I hear of many cracked rims (at spoke hole). Some Mavic rims also have had rim problems and I do not want the very bladed spokes. Thought about Rolf Primas but I do not know them well. I weigh 175-180 pounds and I am rather hard on equipment. Robust build perhaps more important than ultra-light. Any advice or recommendations very much appreciated. Many thanks for reading/replying. William.

What do you want? to be a show pony and replacing wheels regularly or do you want somthing that is light and reliable.
Your not a lightweight so avoid the prebuilt wheels and get some light weight rims like Velocity Aeroheads, spokes DT Superchampion with brass nipples and the new White Industries LSA hubs or DTSwiss Hugi 240's hubs.

Cheers

Geoff

rwsh said:
If you are using Campagnolo then get the Eurus, amazing wheels.
If you are using Shimano, then I would recommend the Easton Tempest alloy. Easton wheels are amazing.

rwsh said:

I don't know about the new Rolfs, but I have been disappointed with the paired spoke design in the past. There is such a large span between the paired spokes on the low spoke count wheels that you can get a wave between the spoke connections that cannot be moved by adjusting spoke tension. I do have a 24-spoke rear Bontrager paired-spoke wheel that I picked up cheap that seems OK. 20-spokes or less seems to be problematic with this design.