Spokes (none of that 'missing-spoke' **** either) must be round
Deeper-than-normal rim (aero rim)
Usable for training and beginning racing
Relatively light (~1700 grams)
Not crazy expensive
Able to buy already built
Shimano 9-speed compatible
Clincher

Thanks. Let me say again, strength and durability!

sparknote_s said:
Could somebody reccomend some wheels for me? Here is what I'm looking for:

**Strength** (bumpy roads where I live)
Not crazy expensive

Oddsandendos has a 1500 gram aero wheelset built on a 455 gram 30mm rim. $400 shipped.

He can customize spoke count for you as well.

Velomax circuits (heavier) seem pretty nice and get good reviews.

sparknote_s said:

Not crazy expensive
Clincher

build your own up, im over cheap wheelsets. ventos, shimano 5 series, cheap and nasty.....

im building up a set of wheels at the moment. American Classic hubs, CXP33 rims, 32 hole. $460 AUS, under 1650 grams.

Byron...while the components you mention are good, since you are building them, I will take my chances with my Ventos based upon positive reviews from many sources. Ventos aren't the lightest but relatively strong and aero with 24 spoke count.
You aren't a 300 lb curb jumper are you?...lol.
George

What about Ksyrium Elites? Not super aero but steel spokes for strength and traditional spoking pattern. I havent heard a bad report. Maybe not cheap enough though :s They do look pretty cool though i reckon. If not then i'd nearly have to go the custom option also. CXP 33 with maybe ultegra or centaur hubs, and double butted spokes.

sparknote_s said:

Not crazy expensive
Clincher

The old cliche comes to mind: "Durability, lightweight, or low-cost.....pick two." A lot of people say strength and durability is important, but then compromise it to get lightweight and a low price.

I got Velomax Circuit Comps with my new frame, and they are doing great. 6000 miles now, and still true with no tweaking required. At 1650 grams, they are light enough for me. The hubs are cartridge-bearing design, like most boutique wheels. They don't use lip seals like Shimano/Campy hubs, but the bearings can be replaced easily.

I still have a lot of respect for a well-built 32 spoke wheel. With the right hardware choices and a premium builder, believe you can get a set of wheels that will last a very long time, and then can be rebuilt. Build quality makes all the difference. These won't be cheap however, since it takes a few extra hours from a skilled craftsman to do a quality build.

What about Ksyrium Elites?
I second that recomendation. I am not sure of your budget, but these seem to fit your criteria. Also would look at Velomax Circuit Comps and Ascents.

These don't quite fit all of your criteria, but for cost effective, aero, strong, and relatively light ... the old Rolf Vector Pro. Haven't been made for a couple of years, but you can find them used on ebay in the $250/set range.

Aero - very. Aero rim, low spoke count, bladed spokes.
Missing spokes - yes. 14 front, 16 rear, but they're bladed spokes and torqued to a zillion foot pounds.
Lightweight - 1800g a set.
Strong - rode mine for two years, they are still true. DT hubs, plenty strong.

Downside to the pro's: it takes a trained mechanic to true them, and they're very stiff - I finally bought a set of Campy Zondas to get a bit softer ride. As for truing - never have needed to get that done, so I wouldn't know.

But you can't beat the Rolfs for their combination of performance and cost. Every bit the equal of Kysriums at a lower price. Personally, I think they look cool, too.

OCRoadie said:
I second that recomendation. I am not sure of your budget, but these seem to fit your criteria. Also would look at Velomax Circuit Comps and Ascents.

Velomax Ascents are a bit more pricey no? The Ksyriums are a good bet for aero and stiff/bombproof, but you might also try the Equipes (a bit cheaper than Elites). That said, if semi-aero isn't so important, conventional spoking, light weight, classic looks, and reliability/durability can be had along with a great price with Open Pro 32's built with say ultegra hubs and wheelsmith 14/15's.

Campy Neutrons are another good one if conventional spoking is a biggie, if not Campy Zondas are nice.

Not as familiar with the Velomax options but they seem to be pretty popular.

RC2 said:
Velomax Ascents are a bit more pricey no? The Ksyriums are a good bet for aero and stiff/bombproof, but you might also try the Equipes (a bit cheaper than Elites). That said, if semi-aero isn't so important, conventional spoking, light weight, classic looks, and reliability/durability can be had along with a great price with Open Pro 32's built with say ultegra hubs and wheelsmith 14/15's.

Campy Neutrons are another good one if conventional spoking is a biggie, if not Campy Zondas are nice.

Not as familiar with the Velomax options but they seem to be pretty popular.
Yeah the Ascents are almost as much as the Ksyrium SL's. I the think the Ksyrium Elites are one of the best options for a mid priced factory built wheel. The Equipes might be worth look at but I really don't know much about them. I got a set of Ksyrium SL's last Sept and have put about 2500 miles on them and they still roll perfect. The Elites are almost the same wheel, they're a little heavier because they don't have the machined out areas in the rim which problably makes them even more "bombproof".

OCRoadie said:
Yeah the Ascents are almost as much as the Ksyrium SL's. I the think the Ksyrium Elites are one of the best options for a mid priced factory built wheel. The Equipes might be worth look at but I really don't know much about them. I got a set of Ksyrium SL's last Sept and have put about 2500 miles on them and they still roll perfect. The Elites are almost the same wheel, they're a little heavier because they don't have the machined out areas in the rim which problably makes them even more "bombproof".
The Elites also have steel spokes rather than Zircal aluminum spokes. No CF shell on the front hub either.