new wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by stoofa, Aug 9, 2008.

1. stoofa

stoofa New Member

thinking of buying some deep section wheels. got about 600 pound to spend. anybody got any suggestions thanks.

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I don't have a specific brand suggestion but $1200 means something used or something with private label hubs and rims that 'may' not be reliable or supported in the long term.

Also tubie, clincher, weight range, carbon, aluminum rims??? Use? TT/Tri, training, racing??

Your riding style, do you break things or are you easy on stuff, your weight??

3. stoofa

stoofa New Member

might up my budget and go for some Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL what do u think peter.

4. Nasgul

Nasgul New Member

Those Mavic Carbone are sweet....never had deep rims before but definitely the Mavic would be the one choice IMO, if I were to get a set myself.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Everything is great about the Carbones except the rear hub.

6. stoofa

stoofa New Member

whats the problem with rear hub thanks

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Unlike the other companies that put replaceable bearings in their freehubs, on the spoke side of the freehub, Mavic uses a nylon bushing. The nylon wears even if things are perfect, but if contaminants get in--easy to happen--the nylon wears much faster. The really sweet part is the nylon bushing is part of the freehub, so if the bushing goes tits up, you have to buy a new freehub.

[​IMG]

8. daveornee

daveornee New Member

How much does a new freehub cost?
    How much does a new spoke cost?
    How much does a new rim cost?
    How easy is it to find the parts and get them replaced?

9. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot about that. That's crap, and are they're WAY too much, anyway. Gord! I nearly bought some.

I only recently saw (for the first time) the cross-section of the Carbone rims, and the carbon fairing just 'hangs' there, doing nothing but improving aerodynamics! :p Until I saw the pic below, I thought the carbon was a carbon wrap, strengthening a thin-ish, deep alu rim, with the spoke nipples seated near the inner edge of the rim, but they ain't; they're just a $500 (AUD) 16-spoke alu wheelset with a thousand+ bucks of carbon hanging off the rims! With the carbon being non-structural, they could've used anything to get the aerodynamics, like plastic or cardboard! What a ripoff!! These wheels retail in shops in Australia for $2200 (!!!!!!!!!), but I can get Cosmic Elites (with 'real', 30mm-deep alu rims) on Pro Bike Kit for $460!!

[​IMG]

10. stoofa

stoofa New Member

thanks for all your input finding it very usefull

11. 531Aussie

I'm begining to re-re-think the whole sealed bearing thing. I've just bought some cheap-ish Token Wheels; I recently tried out some 2nd-hand Mavic Comic Elites, and I also own some Flash-Point FP60s, all with sealed hubs. All the sealed hubs on these wheels feel nice and smooth when I spin them in my hands, but I swear they roll slower on the road compared to my ball-and-cone hubs, even though the ball-and-cone hubs feel a little rougher in my hands

Watcha y'all reckon about that? :D

12. stoofa

stoofa New Member

im a bit confused now am rethinking what wheels to get

13. Peter@vecchios

NOT a fan of the FTL rear hub. Poor design for such an expensive wheel. Reynolds or Edge are the only carbon, deep, light wheels we like as they all use DT hubs..but expensive..about $2000USD. Far superior to the Mavics, IMO.

14. Peter@vecchios

Freehubs are $50
    Spokes are $4
    Rims are $180
    easy to get parts for a Mavic dealer. Easy to replace as well(we do it all the time even tho in 9 years we have sold only 4 Mavic wheels with the FTL hub..of the about 3400 wheel we have built).

15. 531Aussie

if this is because of what I said about cones, don't worry, sealed bearings are fine -- I'm just a bit of a "things were better in my day" old fart :)

16. Peter@vecchios

'sealed' bearings and 'cartridge' bearings are not the same thing...see

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

for the scoop.